1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much time does it generally take to be included in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by latehorn, Oct 7, 2005.

?

Time to get submitted?

1. a few days

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. some weeks

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. months

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. two years or so

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not often you'll see a DMOZ editor admit that publicly :D :D :eek: :eek:

minstrel, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  2. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW - a real person making a real revelation is a real plus in my book.

Yes, why would PR have any bearing on submission acceptance since it has nothing at all to do with the quality or uniqueness of a site and its content.

wrmineo, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  3. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    x/(a*sqrt(2)) + y/(b*sqrt(2)) = 1

Nice problem wrmineo! Thanks.

- Michael

Michael, Oct 30, 2005 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  4. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I will give you the reasons why editors are likely to be oblivious of category PRs.

1) Most editors don't use browsers with the Google toolbar. There is a recent thread in the Resource Zone that goes over this ground.
    2) Editors don't use the same server to see the public DMOZ pages as everyone else. We have a dedicated server which delivers the pages more or less instantly. That server cannot be spidered so none of the pages have any PR. We don't use the public public pages because they can take days to catch up.

If you assume that the higher PR categories are very popular with spam merchants who do pay attention to that sort of thing and that they are nearer the top of the tree than others this has two effects. First the site will be trapped in a much larger and more contaminated pile of crap. Secondly it is far more likely to be appropriate to a more specific, lower-level, and PR-reduced category. So the consequences are likely slower review and less chance of listing. A webmaster choosing a category to suggest a site to based on PR is 99.9% unlikely to succeed in getting a listing there ever. If they pick the right category and follow all the rest of the guidelines they might be listed there tomorrow.

brizzie, Oct 30, 2005 IP
    NickEx likes this.
  5. NickEx

NickEx Peon

Best Answers:
    unless ofcourse they go the paypal way

NickEx, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  6. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, if they go that way they have just raised their change of never being listed to 100%.

pagode, Nov 3, 2005 IP
    NickEx and Alucard like this.
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Up from 98.8%? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  8. marvinniven

marvinniven Peon

Best Answers:
    It took me ages to get listed because the category I wanted to submit to had no editor. Eventually I submitted to a regional category and got in. I wonder if its possible to get a transfer to the category I really want to be in...

Marvin

marvinniven, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Don't even think about it, marvin.

Based on a recent reading of a Resource Zone thread in which three editors including Motsa replied, IF you are successful, what will happen is that they'll delete your current listing and add you to the cue in the category you asked to move it to. You may get a different editor entirely who won't add you back in.

And after all that, what will you have gained? Absolutely nothing. If DMOZ is still worth anything at all, it's that one link to Google. And for that, it really doesn't matter a damn where you're listed. No one will ever see it anyway.

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  10. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems that minstrel has forgotten how this aspect of ODP works.

Some websites can be listed both in Topical categories and in their localities. It's not an either/or situation. The latter usually requires some evidence of local services such as a walk in store.

http://www.acutest.co.uk/ clearly welcomes visitors, so it's London listing is fine.

jimnoble, Nov 3, 2005 IP
    wrmineo and Alucard like this.
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It seems that jimnoble didn't bother to read that RZ thread :rolleyes:

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  12. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you point to that thread? It might be a contextual thing easily explained.

brizzie, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In about 10 minutes worth of searching at RZ this morning, I can't relocate it and I don't have time to look any further.

To the best of my recollection, it was about a webmaster who was trying to get a category change because he believed his site was placed in an invalid category (or possibly that the site had changed and was no longer appropriate to that category). He then discovered that his listing had been deleted from DMOZ and asked why.

The editors (more than one) told him that based on the information he submitted they had deleted his entry in the previous category and placed his site in queue as a new submission.

minstrel, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  14. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember that thread, yes.

The ideal case is that the editor that is processing the update request to move categories has editing abilities in both categories (either named, or as a subset of a named category or having editall or better privs). They then just do the move, publishing the file.

However, it's not that uncommon (unfortunately) for the editor not to have editing rights in the destination category, but only in the current one - in cases like this, the move gets put in a seperate area in the unreviewed section (the intention being that it doesn't get lost in the general mess of submissions in that category) and that an editor will process it ahead of others. To my mind, this is a far from ideal situation.

So in a case like this (and I am not going to look into the individual case) it's possible that it LOOKS like it got deleted, when it was, in fact, in the process of being moved, and the end result wasn't visible yet.

Alucard, Nov 4, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  15. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a move from one topical or Regional category to another. But if a site qualifies for a topical and a Regional category they can be listed in both as Jim says. Of course not all sites qualify for both - e.g. real estate sites can only be listed in Regional. And sites with no geographical relevance are not usually listed in Regional.

brizzie, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Actually, Alucard has it right, at least from what I remember - it was one editor passing it on to a queue for another editor, which meant that in the meantime the site became delisted - and with no guarantee it would be reslisted, of course. Hence my suggestion that if the individual has a site listed to forget about where it is - a link is a link and the DMOZ listing has no other value beyond that anyway.

Honestly, I really don't believe even DMOZ editors remember all these damn rules :rolleyes:

minstrel, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  17. marvinniven

marvinniven Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for clarifying this. Based on this I will definitely not apply for a move. But is it possible to apply for a topical listing as well if I can find a suitable category with an editor? Or should I leave it alone and be pleased that we are included?

marvinniven, Nov 5, 2005 IP
  18. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are sure you can find a topical category that lists sites such as yours then in principle yes you can suggest it there as well.

It may not apply to your site but for the benefit of others if the site fits into the Kids and Teens section then there is a third submission possible. Plus one submission (of the root URL) to each applicable World language category if the site is genuinely multilingual (forget machine translations)

brizzie, Nov 5, 2005 IP