1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

smsJokes.org Review please?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by nQQb, Jul 23, 2007.

Hi all,

Could you please check out my site and give me your precious review so I can make changes needed based on your opinion?

My site is a jokes portal and I have added a funny pictures section with over 2200 images that i purchased from a dp member here.

http://www.smsjokes.org
    http://www.smsjokes.org/funnypics/

thank you and appreciate any review.

nQQb

nQQb, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  2. emilykash

emilykash Member

Best Answers:
    Hello =)

I've taken a peek at your site and here are my personal thoughts:

01. SMS Jokes Main Page

- I'm using a large resolution (1680x1050 pixels) and I think that I would personally prefer to see the navigation (Home, Submit Jokes. . etc) centered as it is currently aligned to the left. However, this may just be a personal thing for me!

- The logo is not linked back to your homepage which I think it should be as its a natural area to click.

- In the main content area on the homepage the numbers are not defined. I assume they are how many times each joke has been clicked but a person really cannot just tell from looking. If you're going to have this information available, it would be nice to be clearly identified.

- When you're finishing up your site, I would personally take the admin links down since the link is only there to solely benefit you and not the end-user. (/admin is very easy to remember without you needing a link from the main page)

- This may be a personal preference on my part also but the block header black backgrounds are not the same height (e.g New Jokes Vs. Joke Categories Vs. Advertisement Vs. Sponsors)

02. Funny Pictures Section

- The logo does not link back to your homepage (same issue as above)

- All of your text -- keywords (that you are trying to hide?) is legible on the right-hand side of the page and is (obviously) completely irrelevant to the end-user

- Clicking the funny pictures link on the left-hand navigation column does nothing. It would be useful for you to add in a link back to your homepage, and maybe a link to your top rated jokes or something to that effect) -- this would make this section of your website tie much more neatly into your main-page!

- I'm not sure if you are able to modify code or not, but a rating on the pictures, being able to see pictures that are the top rated, most viewed, etc would also be a very nice addition to this section of your site... similar to your jokes section

- The slideshow feature is very nice and convenient

Overall, your site is pretty nice and simple and serves its purpose which is exactly what you want! Best of luck to you and your project!

emilykash, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  3. nQQb

nQQb Active Member

Best Answers:
    WOW, thanks for your generous, well written review. I will definitely work on the changes recommended. thanks again for our precious time :)

nQQb, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  4. emilykash

emilykash Member

Best Answers:
    No problem! Glad to offer my views and will be happy to take another look sometime! =)

emilykash, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  5. Mrwonder

Mrwonder Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Cannot say more then what emilykash said.
    Smsjokes can be a site with good traffic.
    Work on that.
    Thanks

Mrwonder, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  6. nQQb

nQQb Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks mrwonder, working on the changes...will let u know how it goes.

nQQb, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  7. Alex_W

Alex_W Peon

Best Answers:
    Font for jokes is too small for my liking but the jokes are entertaining.

Funny pics are good.

Alex_W, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  8. DeViAnThans3

DeViAnThans3 Peon

Best Answers:
    What I'm in fact questioning myself, from where the "SMS"? :)
    What about adding a function "SMS to friend" (for a joke)? You could even charge a little bit for it, or you could use some kind of point system: for each joke you post, you get 1 point, with 3 points (by example), you can send 1 SMS to your friend. (Note: you may want to look into some SMS gateway service for this, if you have some knowledge of XML and PHP/ASP)

Funny pictures: the logo has white background, the rest of the page has dark background. Try to use the same background color! Further good hover effects etc. I love the view function, which clearly is AJAX and is working very well!! Also the loading bar is very cool :)
    What I would do, is add a "next >" and "< previous" button at the bottom of the page, to switch between pages. When i'm now at the bottom of the image list, I have to scroll to the top to click the next [x-x] link.

About the current homepage further; it could maybe be made a little bit more attractive by adding some more graphics, and using a little bit more colors (not the black/white only like now).
    I like the joke of the day feature; only there's nothing in there? :s

**edit** bug in funny pictures: when trying to view a picture of which the name has a space in it, the picture can't load. Could that be fixed?

Nice site overall :) Keep it up!

DeViAnThans3, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  9. nemo1980

nemo1980 Guest

Best Answers:
    personally, The design isn't one of my favorits... to white to me

nemo1980, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  10. nQQb

nQQb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like that idea and will work on it. Thanks for the review and your suggestions! :)

nQQb, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  11. tranx90210

tranx90210 Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty selection of jokes...seems kinda empty though..perhaps more pics?

tranx90210, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  12. The W4gz

The W4gz Peon

Best Answers:
    Very funny, very good selection 8.5/10. Just work on what the first guy said. :)

The W4gz, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  13. joe letterman

joe letterman Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the first review cover pretty much all that could be said. A very well review. But back to your sites. I'm not in to jokes that much but your site should be a success if you work hard to get it right. I really like your second site, done very well in my book. Keep up the good work. By the way, I bookmark that site.:)Good Luck!

joe letterman, Sep 3, 2007 IP