1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coldfusion Editors

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Jamie18, Aug 1, 2007.

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows a good coldfusion editor that i can get for free?

i'm currently using coldfusion studio 5 but the highlighting it does is terrible, i get confused looking at more complex code which involves CF, html, css and javascript. I was a big fan of dreamweavers highlighting and the style used for auto closing tags. but i only had a month long trial version of it.

so basically i'm looking for an editor similar to dreamweavers text editor. or is it possible to get some sort of freeware version of dreamweaver?

what do you use for developing coldfusion code?

Jamie18, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  2. disco_danny

disco_danny Peon

Best Answers:
    One word Eclipse. It is very powerful for developing Coldfusion and it is free. You will also have to download the plugin for Coldfusion, but it is free as well.

You should be able to google Eclipse to find their home page and google cfeclipse for the coldfusion plugin.

Hope this is helpful.

Disco_Danny

disco_danny, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  3. Jamie18

Jamie18 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, i'll check it out right now

Jamie18, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  4. Jamie18

Jamie18 Peon

Best Answers:
    Eclipse seems like a good program.. allows me to set all the tag colours and what not.. it also has some good auto completion features, which i like because i'm lazy.. but i haven't figured out if i can make it autofill a closing tag yet..

i.e. I open a tag.. <cfif ....> write some lines, than write </ and have it complete the closing tag to </cfif>.. as i said, i'm lazy and if it's possible to save those four keystrokes i want to know how haha..

the other things i haven't quite figured out is how to define a site and so on to get things like the internal browser working... and for some reason when i attempt to do an 'open with' on a .cfm file eclipse doesn't show up in the list, so i'm not sure how to set it as the default editor..

i could have probably posted this as a new topic but these issues aren't that important, so i don't think i'll take up any more board space than i need.. however if any eclipsers read this and have any answers for me please shoot me the numeros

Jamie18, Aug 2, 2007 IP
  5. forumposters

forumposters Peon

Best Answers:
    I too would like to know how to get this working as I love this feature that I'm used to having coming from Dreamweaver to eclipse.

Has anyone got this working with their cfelclipse? How did you do it? Please share...

forumposters, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  6. formula13x

formula13x Peon

Best Answers:
    I use eclipse with the cfeclipse plugin (like what dan suggested).

Eclipse by itself isn't going to give you the coldfusion syntax "intellisense", you need the cfeclipse plugin.
    You can download eclipse at http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

After you've got eclipse running, you need the cfeclipse plugin.
    http://cfeclipse.org/index.cfm?event=page&page=download

It is a great development environment and like Dan said, it's free!! It's what I use.

Let me know if you have any trouble with it (probably won't, as it's really easy and intuitive).

formula13x, Aug 3, 2007 IP