1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beating Smart Pricing?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by sayyes, Oct 27, 2005.

If you haven't read the recent article at jensense about how smart pricing works, here it is:

http://www.jensense.com/archives/2005/10/one_poorly_conv.html

Now, assuming that's correct, isn't there a way to beat smart pricing?

Let's say you have a site that you show Adsense/YPN ads on and you advertise it on Adwords. The goal is to pay low CPC in Adwords by finding niche keywords and getting high CPC through Adsense/YPN. Nothing groundbreaking yet...

BUT, now let's say you sign up for conversion tracking on your site and have a conversion defined as something that would almost never happen. Maybe signing up for a newsletter and the sign up box is at the bottom of the page or something.

Now, all the sites that show your ad are going to get penalized because the click from their site didn't convert! Best of all, these other sites ARE YOUR COMPETITORS so that's even more reason to do it!

Thoughts/ideas?!?!!

sayyes, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  2. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    But what good would this do? You'd decrease the earnings of those sites, perhaps -- and it's not a given to me that this would actually work -- but how does that help your earnings? Rather than spending your money on beating down competitor's earnings, shouldn't you be spending it on increasing your own through better rankings, better content, etc.?

Eric Giguere, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  3. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Smart pricing would be an issue if people actually clicked my adsense ads in the first place...

IamNed, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  4. sayyes

sayyes Peon

Best Answers:
    It helps your earnings because you are paying less CPC because those sites aren't "converting." However, you're still getting the same traffic and same revenue from Adsense.

It's not a given to me that it would work either, but if you believe the linked article it sure looks like it would.

sayyes, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  5. sayyes

sayyes Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me follow up and say that I'm not doing this (I don't even use conversions), but I just thought it was an interesting loophole.

sayyes, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  6. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I can see where you are coming from.
    Increase your earnings by decreasing your outgoings.
    I think it's probably less hassel to just drive more traffic to the site.

jlawrence, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  7. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    post your url here and I can guarantee 1000 clicks in 10 minutes :D

alang, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  8. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    No this wouldn't work. Google would see that none of the clicks you get are converting, they would not apply smart pricing to any of the clicks. To apply smart pricing some clicks would need to be converting well, and others would need to be converting poorly.

tlainevool, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  9. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:

When you say 'converting' what do you all mean ?

When a visitor clicks on an adsense ad, they go to someones website everytime. On that site there may be free literature to get such as from a gov or charity site, the site owner may make nothing from the websites sales or other merchandise, in fact the site could be a monetary loss, only kept running by grants etc.

On another site that the AdSense has taken someone to, they may sell a product, say for example 'Furniture'. An AdSense visitor may decide to buy the furniture, and do so by sending a check or money order from just reading the text address and other info on the website, with no sales info being collected from the website.

In either case Google has no record or ability to know if a sale was made due to any AdSense Ads - -

What the heck converts in sales etc.... That makes 'smart pricing' kick in due to this ?

bluegill_catcher, Oct 28, 2005 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  10. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Different advertisers have different types of conversion, some examples are:
    Buying something
    Subscribing to something
    Signing up for something
    etc.

dzcap, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  11. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    heheheh... and that will be of something fraudalent

kawebspy, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  12. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    And in a lot of the sites Google has NO way of knowing if the visitor signed up for something or bought something from the site.......

Conversion is meaningless as far as adsense ad values

bluegill_catcher, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  13. sayyes

sayyes Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm just playing devil's advocate, but let's say you did get some of them to convert. Google sees the conversion even if it doesn't come from an ad. If you use Adwords, read more about the conversion tracker. It's just an image that gets shown on your "Order Confirmed" or whatever page.

sayyes, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  14. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think if you are dealing with a large enough dataset, it will be clear over time if your sites are converting. Also, not that is says smart pricing affects an entire account, so I think the best way to fix things is to look for domains or pages that are low in quality of traffic, and consider moving them over to another ad network such as YPN for 30-60 days and see if it helps you on Google.

dvduval, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  15. sayyes

sayyes Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is excellent advice. This just gave me a reason to try YPN!

sayyes, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  16. howard_hughes

howard_hughes Peon

Best Answers:
    The way to beat smart pricing is to develop a good, big site with lots of visitors from SE's .. Good visitors will buy and hence you wont be smart priceed

howard_hughes, May 10, 2010 IP