1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it worth using a WYSIWYG editor?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Amsterdam, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MeAlex

MeAlex Active Member

Best Answers:
    In terms of site design no time is lost. I guess I am referring to site management and updates. Time spent hand coding changes could be time adding content imo.

MeAlex, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  2. adamjthompson

adamjthompson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haha. Apparently those stupid span style thingies are revealing my stupidity. :p

I didn't realize they were css. Maybe I'll just learn to use them since they are the new standard.

adamjthompson, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  3. adamjthompson

Best Answers:
    Actually, I just found how to disable css in netscape & make it use standard html tags. Yay! I am just so not used to css.

Besides, unless it is in an external file and you use it for your whole site, I don't see any advantage...am I correct? Or am I just being dense? :-D

4. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Hand-coded means you can't write includes or a CMS? :) Check my sig.. my supplement site will scrape the affiliates for price data with a few clicks. I also do HowardStern.com and they have a team of interns that updates the site multiple times per day... all originally hand-coded.

TheHoff, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  5. MeAlex

MeAlex Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are right on vBMechanic. I guess when I think of hand coded I imagine someone manually making changes to content. Sorry.

MeAlex, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
  6. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    No worries.. I didn't want hand coding to get a bad rap. My choice: EditPlus.

TheHoff, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  7. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    What you won't get is clean code... Seems most WYSIWYG editors do is add all kinds of stuff that is not really necessary.

aeiouy, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  8. adamjthompson

Best Answers:
    Now that I've disenabled css in Composer, it gives me about the cleanest code I've ever seen for a WYSIWYG.

Adam

9. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend learning CSS. It is great for laying out a page and can cut down on the size of your pages if you use an external CSS page.

Web Gazelle, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  10. Avatar

Best Answers:
    I like using The WebMaker atm (advanced text-editor), if any of you can advise me on any good WYSIWYG editors, i would be more than willing to try them.
    Are there any linux WYSIWYG editors?

11. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the replies and recommendations, I think I might take a look at some WYSIWYG editors to speed up design, but keep a close eye on the code. From what people have said and what I've read elsewhere I am inclined towards Dreamweaver, but it's so expensive I wonder if it's really that good. Is there a demo version, and if so what are the limitations?

T

Amsterdam, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  12. Amsterdam

Best Answers:
    Oh yes, one more thing...

Can Dreamweaver (or others) produce a CSS i.e. tableless page layout? This might be a dumb question, but I just don't know.

T

Amsterdam, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  13. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver has a trial available for download at Macromedia's website. You can use CSS with it.

stephfoster, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  14. Avatar

Best Answers:
    the limitation is a 30 day trial.

15. Bear

Bear Peon

Best Answers:
    Keeping a close eye on the code only helps if you know what you are looking at.

Regardless of what editor you may ultimately use most of the time for expediency, you should spend some time practising hand coding so that you can cope with the problems you will get from time to time through using a WYSIWYG editor.

Personally I still hand code and make all my students start that way - a bit like the architecture lecturer I know who won't let his students use CAD until year 2.

Bear, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  16. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When your 30 days are up, you will know that it rocks and then you can get the full version or try to get a hacked version. ;)

Web Gazelle, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  17. Amsterdam

Best Answers:
    Yes, good point. However this thread is about whether it is worth getting and using a WYSIWYG editor, given that a good level of hand coding expertise has already been established - i.e. are there any benefits to using one?

Amsterdam, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  18. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is all about preference though I use notepad exclusively. I feel I have more control over placement and more versatility than I can get from wyswyg programs..

livingearth, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  19. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, before you guys judge me of promoting Microsoft, I'm an ardent user of FrontPage since the day of yore. I'm so used to the tools and buttons of FrontPage, it makes my job faster if you know where to click and where to edit. I'm sure people used to using Dreamweaver will share the same sentiment about the product.

About hand-coding, well, some of us here did learn HTML by handcoding, the basic ones. Which is helpful when we want of fix something that doesn't work in WYSIWYG (for example, frontpage got problem with <span style> or something, had to remove it manually)

my44, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  20. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree very much. I love dreamweaver...
    Now before we go any farther from that statement, I only use code view. I have never liked using WYSIWYG designers in my entire time. I learned by typing into notepad, and that is how I will stay. Now I just use dreamweaver to color the coding, as it makes it easier to read/debug.

drewbe121212, May 14, 2006 IP