1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need SEO help on dog.com

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by DorianDDR1, Oct 5, 2005.

I have this domain, dog.com, that I am trying to get ranked higher for the following terms on google:

- dog supplies
    - dog beds
    - dog crates
    - dog treats
    - dog toys

I have done my best to add relevant content to the site that has these keywords in it but to no avail. The client likes the look and feel that the site currently has so it will be difficult to add text to these pages (except for some text that will appear at the bottom of each and every page that I will put specific keywords in to rank higher). I have changed the meta tags, added sitemap to google, and done my very best to follow all SEO books that I have purchased but still can't get them to sustain improvement. My goal is to have them back in the top 10 and possibly in the top 5. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks all.

Regards,
    Dorian

DorianDDR1, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    TheHoff, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  3. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Obtain links from relevant sites to your pages with the appropriate anchor text - not just links to the homepage - link from an article about dog training and positive reinforcement to your dog treats category or a specific product - that sort of thing.

2. This is arguable, but I have seen great results by supporting my keyphrase Titles with a matching H1 on the page, preferably near the top.

With a domain like Dog.com - it shouldn't be difficult to be percieved as an authority site, I think I would widen the reach a bit and support the ecommerce efforts with general content (using the articles and news as opportunities to remind people of the products)

Epica, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  4. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you have a fantastic domain.
    Get alot of articles and you'll be the first site people type in to the address bar for dog information (and products)

longroad, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  5. stereolab

stereolab Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, man. nice domain

stereolab, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  6. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a game plan:

1. Purchase some on-topic text links via www.text-link-ads.com
    2. Write (have someone write) 25 articles with content about dogs. Sprinkle keywords within the content using your anchor text. Broker content deals with sites.
    3. Start a forum. www.SEO-Board.com is a good forum software that is already SEO friendly (also free :)). This will help with conversions and building a community of dog lovers
    4. Work on those URLs. Get those URLs SEO friendly. Have someone like www.RustyBrick.com (Barry) work on that for you if you don't know how...he's very good.
    5. Put Dog.com at the end of the Title, not the front on the Title tag
    6. Add some H1/H2 tags. Use CSS to fit look/feel of site.
    7. Look at stats and see terms people are typing in to find the site. If you don't already have a page for those terms, then build them.

Numbers 1 and 4 are the most important. Make sure you do those if you really want to help their site. I guarantee it.

Voasi, Oct 5, 2005 IP
    Jim_Westergren likes this.
  7. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    Dog.com is a great name, but would be better if it was not in the singular. Most people will type in dogs (plural form) and Google will give credit to that query first (as you have already experienced).

To increase serp position you must do the following,

1) Run contests: "best elementary school drawing of a dog." - Submit this in the classified section of 20 states ($3500) for one month with contest rules.
    You should receive 5000 free links from forums, blogs, and .org - .edu newsletters. Use other contests, such as best home pet picture. Use you imagination. Contests will score high in getting free traffic and links.
    2) purchase 30,000 links over 1 year (aprox 40,000 US)
    3) Create a dog template that will help average owners to gage their dog’s intelligence and desirability in the marketplace. Template tools are a guaranteed way to gain thousands of back links.

I have many more ideas, but I guess that’s why I get paid so much and don't share them all...lol:D

D

bigdoug, Oct 5, 2005 IP
    flyguy likes this.
  8. seo_expert

seo_expert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You really do have a very rare domain. I thougt these domains had already dried up..

To start with try submitting to as many Directories as possible with the keywords you have as Anchor Text.. (Don't go for Google Bombing)

Second start a natural link popualrity campaign for your website and again use your keywords as Anchor text for linking.

Start RSS Feeds for your website.

Add more contents to your website and make keywords as anchor text to link between pages.

Good luck

seo_expert, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  9. markkk

markkk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah a very very nice domain.. just curious how much you bought that.

markkk, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  10. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Sell the domain. ;)

mcfox, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  11. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    He said it is a client's domain; stop hounding him for it.

TheHoff, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  12. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    If you do some keyword research you will find that these terms are very competitive. To get top 10 results for these terms will take a lot of time and possible a lot of money.

I would look for new keywords to target. I am sure dog.com has a long list of keywords that are in its logs and that maybe a good chance to start.

aaron_nimocks, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  13. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    So it is ... what a howler of a mistake. I should've paws'd for thought and got my teeth into the post first.

mcfox, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    No, not unless you have absolutely no clue what to do with it :)

Blogmaster, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  15. flyguy

flyguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I love this idea!

flyguy, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  16. clickbuild

clickbuild Member

Best Answers:
    The contest is a great idea... could you elaborate on the term "template"... Do you mean a script or calculator form?

clickbuild, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  17. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    bigdoug, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  18. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL very funny. Was that intentional?

Edit: never mind, I didn't see mcfox pounced on that post first.

MattL, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  19. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    If something I said was clever or funny, you can bet it was unintentional.

TheHoff, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  20. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dorian, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree here. I don't get it, you were hired as an expert by dog.com to do SEO on their site, right? I assume they are paying you decent money with a domain like that. So now you want us to do your work for you for free?

There are a few very obvious things that could be done to optimize that site. I'm sure if you would offer to sub-contract someone on these forums you could get some nice results.

I don't mean to come off like an ass, but when you say things like "I have changed the meta tags, added sitemap to google, and done my very best to follow all SEO books" it is pretty telling. I have to wonder if you will know what to do with some of the good advice given so far. Especially the on page advice. So I would recommend that you do some more research and try to get some basics down. Don't waste your money on anymore SEO how to e-books. Read this and other forums.

MattL, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    jestep likes this.