1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

who says Google's accurate? PayPal at no.7 for real estate query!

Discussion in 'SEO' started by sameerpanjwani, Oct 27, 2005.

who says Google's accurate? Type in - selling home fast - and find PayPal at no.7

Now that's relevant results for you!

Any opinions on how and why PayPal's up there? Anything we can take from this?

As for onpage, they have only one instance of 'selling' and no mention of either 'home' or 'fast'

sameerpanjwani, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    >>These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: home fast

Yea, that is pretty sad.

TheHoff, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  3. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is an algorithm and Google doesnt claim that its results are 100% accurate. But it is the best way (algorithmically) out there which returns the most accurate set of pages for a given query. And among the 2 million users searching per day in google, if some 500 results are awkward and irrelavant who cares? What percentage that makes?

Also, Google is not something which says 'hey here are the set of pages sorted as per the relevancy of your query", infact it says, "hey, i have found these pages which are relevant to your query, and has made my best attempt to sort it as per relevancy.".

If you want precise information you can try Google Answers and tell them off for returning paypal for home selling.

Dont take Google for granted. It is an algorithm, and believe me, it is best, devised by the best computer scientists, maintained by the best computer engineers, scrutinised by the best of the best of the webusers.

king_cobra, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  4. themetalpeddler

themetalpeddler Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems annoyingly typical of strange page 1 results lately

themetalpeddler, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Don't forget they link internally to "Home" from every page.

"Selling home fast" is a poor example as it is grammatically incorrect so you can't hold a Search Engine accountable when you aren't using the right search term

The correct one is
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=selling+homes+fast&meta=

No Paypal there ;)

yfs1, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google was pretty good before this ridiculous update. Now, it is on the verge of loosing everything that it has.

I know I'm not the only person that has contemplated leaving google for good. If I wanted to look at month old ebay auctions, or old craigslist posts, then I would go to those sites and look for expired ads. The truth is that google has lost a lot of relevancy since the update started. 100% isn't possible, but I think that something like 10% would be feasible. I would rate their accuracy rating at about 3%.

The best I can say about the relevancy of google's results right now: They Suck.

jestep, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  7. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't a clue what you've been searching for. But I always find what I'm looking for on google.

Go on, you leave Google. Watch their tears roll down their faces...

blackbug, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  8. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I am curious where that 3% comes from...That means that out of the first 10 pages in a search, only 3 results have to do with the topic??

Even in the example given by the OP here, Google is 90% accurate on the first page...And thats for a term that isn't even grammatically correct

3% is just ridiculous IMHO

yfs1, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  9. sameerpanjwani

sameerpanjwani Banned

Best Answers:

Isn't there suppose to be some kind of AI (artificial intelligence) applied to their algorithms. Grammatical or not, Paypal is definitely not what I was looking for. Doesn't even come close, however "ungrammatical" it may be

Anyways, more interested in knowing how Paypal's up there, only cos of internal linking?

dkalweit likes this.
  10. yfs1

Best Answers:
    They are there because of the "selling" plus on site for that term plus internal linking. As far as the AI, they are delivering 9 good results out of 10...That surely isn't the end of the world considering the grammar is incorrect

I just don't see it being as bad as you are describing it...There are a lot better examples

yfs1, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  11. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    3% was just my complaining. The point was that google has lost a lot of relevancy, and instead of replacing it with sites that someone might be interested in, they replaced it with sites that are completely unusable. Google was much better before this update. I am finding myself having to go down to the 4th or 5th page frequently which I never had to do before.

Truthfully I would rate their First page accuracy 7 or 8/10, and their second page at 5 or 6/10.

jestep, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    dkalweit likes this.
  12. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Except the update isn't finished yet...Won't be until next week

yfs1, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  13. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    True, but If you read Matt Cutts blog, he states that these changes are independent of each other. 3 separate updates, close enough together to be called a single update.

I personally don't think that anything is going to be reversed from one update to another. That would be counter productive to making three separate updates. While I wouldn't rule out the possibility of reversing some things, people believing that their sites are just going to return to where they were is just wishful thinking.

jestep, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  14. sameerpanjwani

sameerpanjwani Banned

Best Answers:
    Their results are pretty good in general, there's no doubting that! But was quite surprised at this result. Never thought their algorithms would spring up this result. I mean if Yahoo and MSN can deliver 10 out of 10 for a term like that, I'm sure they can.

15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I think that s the issue...Your site loses rankings so suddenly Google Sucks and has 3% accuracy

You have to look at it as a whole. McDar has proposed that their was a massive data loss and it is taking 3 separate "updates" to correct the issue

The other thinking is that they are working towards that "final" update which will have greater relevancy and it takes breaking a few eggs on the earlier updates to get there.

Regardless, to say Google sucks and Jagger was a disaster is a bit premature when it isn't even finished yet

yfs1, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  16. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I'm concerned, Google works better than its rivals if the user knows how to search. It's important to enclose phrases in quotes, and negate keywords that you think might be in irrelevant results.

I'm sure the Adwords boys and girls out there will know what i'm talking about.

In my experience, MSN tends to actually return more useful results than Google if a query is badly chosen or excessively vague.

To me this fits with the MS tactic of catering to the lowest common demoninator, and the Google tradition of creating tools that are useful to the tool's creator!

JamieC, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  17. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    sameer, Google was not built for webmasters to see their sites return on top for the queries they **wish** to have them on top. Google is an information retrieval tool. And it returns the results it feel relevant to your query. You cant complain as they are the best info retrieval tool now in the web.

Now in general, people lost their rankings in google after the update. But see it from a google user point of view. How many results are irrelavant for a query u submit to google? definietly not the top three in 99.99% cases. Google does not return your site for the keyword you target it for, doesnt mean that it is returning irrelevant results.

To disprove this argument, quote some legitimate (not scrambled to kick the butt of the algorithm) queries and show the irrelavant results.

king_cobra, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  18. Nokia999

Nokia999 Guest

Best Answers:
    Nokia999, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  19. yfs1

Best Answers:
    But you can't expect Google to always account for that...Home and Homes are two different things depending on context. My point is that the search using the proper term yields 100% accuracy while the grammatically incorect provides 90% accuracy

I still see that as not bad

yfs1, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  20. RyanBlank

RyanBlank Guest

Best Answers:
    each time Google has a major update, i see this quoted by someone.. and each time Google just keeps on growing in every way possible.

RyanBlank, Oct 27, 2005 IP