1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Parenting before and now? When it comes to spanking your kids

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by B-Scott, Jul 31, 2007.

I dont have any kids ,but i hear a lot of situations where parents get in trouble for spanking there kids.

I remember when i was younger,parents were doing this on a regular basis and it was accepted. Now you cant touch your kids if they get out of line.

My mom used to tell me to go get my own belt so she could spank me with it when i got in to trouble.

B-Scott, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  2. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You don'ty touch your kids and they end up on drogs uselless or like Paris H

w3bmaster, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  3. Slacker

Slacker Guest

Best Answers:
    Same with me. Would get wooped if I did anything really bad. I have heard of this "parents cant touch their kids" thing, and that's total BS. Parents can punish their kids how they like

Slacker, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  4. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Parents can punish their kids how they like, eh? So, can they lock them in a closet for four hours with no food and water? Can they beat them with belts so bruises and welts form?

Come on. Parental discipline is one thing, but allowing parents free reign to discipline their children "however they like" is allowing far too many unacceptable things to happen.

DeniseJ, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  5. B-Scott

B-Scott Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with that. Of course you dont want to abuse them by locking them up in closets or causing them to have bruises. I just meant a little spanking now and then.

I used to get worse then that though

B-Scott, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  6. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Parents can't punish their kids anyway they like - striking a child with any solid implement is unforgiveable. I do not see the harm in smacking a child though - it should only be used as a last resort, after several warnings or for a very grave (eg. criminal) misdemeanour. It happened to me, thankfully only once or twice, when I was younger and I'm glad it did - I always knew where the line between right and wrong was drawn. Many kids today, certainly here in the UK, think they're untouchable and the country is up shit creek because of it.

CountryBoy, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  7. Kier

Kier Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it gets a little stupid when parents are looked down on when they have to result to maybe smacking their kid lightly to stop them doing something. Yes, as Super Nanny shows their are other ways of disciplining your kids but I think depending on the area that your kinds are being brought up in, different methods for each parent.

Kier, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  8. Cylon

Cylon Peon

Best Answers:
    super nanny needs to come to every home, and do revisits to see if the parents have upheld what they learned.

Since she can't do that, spank away.

Cylon, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  9. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    I've been around both types of parents - parents who smack their children and parents who don't. I was never spanked as a child and I turned out just fine. I'm just saying, there are other ways to discipline a child without resorting to any type of physical violence (whether it's considered "abuse" or not.)

DeniseJ, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  10. adam1987

adam1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Violence is for dumb parents ... parents who hit there kids find they dont know how 2 discipline there kids when there older / bigger.

adam1987, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  11. B-Scott

B-Scott Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt call a light spanking violence

Now if you were pulling out switches and causing bruising then thats another story.

B-Scott, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  12. Ckrismoney

Ckrismoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't spank your kids the police will, when they're teenagers or grown up!

Everyone resorts to capital punishment.

If you tell your child not to chase the ball in the street, but in the child does anyway during play, time and time again. Punishment such as no going outside for a week may be the next step.

But if the child continues spanking should be next, a spanking does not hurt as much as getting hit by a car.

What I'm saying folks is there are plenty of dangers kids are not able to understand at certin ages but as they grow they will understand why you spanked them for chasing the ball in the street and they will be thankful for it.

Ckrismoney, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  13. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That means killing people by the way! Corporal punishment means giving a little pain.

CountryBoy, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  14. uglyboy

uglyboy Peon

Best Answers:
    I was smacked as a child and though i feel it did me no harm, I don't smack my own children. I don't feel they have ever done anything to warrant a smack. I do not see the harm in smacking a child though. Some children can be an extreme handful. We are talking about a smack here not kicking the crap out of them..

uglyboy, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    New Zealand has just brought in Anti-Smacking legislation on the basis that all parents should be high minded enough to find other ways and their children will all be "normal" and respond appropriately. A tad optimistic.

On the other hand the existing laws already prevented parents from cruelty to their children but that didn't deter these mongrels: Packed court for toddler abuse hearing

sarahk, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  16. adam1987

adam1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to see my parents smacking my 13 year old younger brother.. they wouldnt have a chance unless they punched him in the face / or did something serious to injure him... a smack wouldnt do anything to him.

adam1987, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  17. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    Hitting children is never a good option. This makes future criminals and psychos.

--Joe

jdR!pper, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  18. uglyboy

uglyboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats the kind of people ropes were make for.. :mad:

uglyboy, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  19. SeagullSid

SeagullSid Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was slippered and caned as a child - and it didn't make one iota of difference to my behaviour. I'd still go out and muck around knowing that the worst that would happen is I'd have to endure a bit of physical pain, and then only if I got caught.

I've now got two children (20 and 14) and I've NEVER hit them. Other punishments such as grounding and withdrawl of privileges have been far more effective than violence.

SeagullSid, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  20. B-Scott

B-Scott Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wish i was just grounded as a kid

My mom would tell me boooooy go get that belt

B-Scott, Aug 1, 2007 IP