1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you were to submit to 1 directory and 1 directory only...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Fahd, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, no need to feel offended. I'm not big into directories. I personally feel they offer no real value to users. But apparently its a must for PR/SERP listings. So, I am forcing myself to give it a try with 1 directory. Just asking which one I should try, thats all.

Hmm...maybe you'll find this response even more offensive then!

Fahd, Jul 31, 2007 IP
    britishguy and Dubz like this.
  2. dsakella

dsakella Peon

Best Answers:
    If I was going to submit to only one directory I guess, there should't be any other directories around.
    I mean if I was going to go with directory submissions I wouldn't submit to one only. Unless there would be only one directory around.
    If you ask about the best directory around with the best price/value ratio, then I would say aviva.

dsakella, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  3. mauiman

mauiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think he thought the question was offensive. I suspect he was just pointing out that it's not the best question one could ask if the point is to get actionable feedback and perhaps making another good point to those of who answered. His point is spot on.

So tell us how much are you planning on investing in links and what niche is your site in?

mauiman, Jul 31, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  4. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    I would say Web World Directory which we already did earlier today if that counts.

A straight to the point directory with loads more potential and value for money.

vicdigi, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  5. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am just trying out directories. I have a $1000/month for 12 months advertising budget. Not all for links obviously. The site is the one in my sig, www.freesitestatus.com

Fahd, Jul 31, 2007 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  6. Pandacowl

Pandacowl Active Member

Best Answers:
    dmoz is free lol.

But I would try to get a sponsored listing on yahoo! or the number one spot on bigweblinks.

Pandacowl, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  7. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Fahd thanks for the post I am a businessman and as such value constructive input and for sure I will not be offended by your comments at all everyone is entitled to their own opinions or points of view :)

But I prefer to develop relationships based on integrity, transparency and professionalism :cool:

Thanks mauiman thats right great post :)

This is what I got for posting this post
    RED REP
    expert crap talker
    anonymous of course

britishguy, Jul 31, 2007 IP
    Fahd, mauiman, Fastian and 1 other person like this.
  8. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Pete i also got RED REP from anonymous for my this post :mad:

What an expert crap talker :D

deluxdon, Jul 31, 2007 IP
    Fastian, Fahd and prilep like this.
  9. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    There is nothing offensive in your post. And be sure “We” (directory owners) are not that bad that we will be offended with every post saying anything against directories.

I have replied to your first post previously but I will like to add a bit more.

Deciding that which directory to submit depends on a lot factors including which project (site) you are submitting and the owner himself. So it’s not possible for anyone to suggest you which directory is best suitable for you. (Saying in general)

You might not be getting much of visitors directly from a directory (Paid or free) but a quality directory will certainly help you getting better position in SERP. Now, there can be a lot of discussion which directory is a quality directory and why directories don’t send visitors but I will leave that for later times.

All I wanted to say, directories (Paid or free) will surely help you getting better results in SERPs. It’s up to you to decide (as an owner) where to submit. If you need a better exposure, submit as Featured (if your pocket allows you).

Hope I don't get Red for my post :) (Pete & Don seems to be unlucky there)

PS. I checked your site and it's really looks promising. I might consider using it if you assure it wouldn’t be sending "un-necessarily" SMS & emails.

Fastian, Aug 1, 2007 IP
    prilep and deluxdon like this.
  10. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do understand the value to webmasters in possibly improving serp results. Is that the only value to users? I don't see an average joe browsing a directory to find information. I mean a general directory that is like alive for example and not a very targeted niche directory like arcadeforce for example. I think google might be looking at directories in a similar way, that they exist only to help improve serps and offer no value to end users when most people just search for info instead of browsing through a directory.

Just to clarify, it wasn't me that gave anyone red rep.

Thanks for the interest! :) You can set mail preferences in the account settings area. The only emails we send are account related and alerts you subscribe to. We do not send any SMS unless you set up SMS alerts. SMS alerts also cost $0.25 per SMS.

Fahd, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  11. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say Gii.

- Prilep :D

prilep, Aug 1, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  12. darrenlambert

darrenlambert Peon

Best Answers:
    If money was no object, then BigWeblinks.
    If I was on a budget then DMOZ. Unless the site is a web directory, as DMOZ does not pass PR for these. Then I would go for Aviva.

darrenlambert, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  13. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    The Orange Pages without a doubt, why? Because I know what the plans are with it. ;)

The Pheonix, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  14. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dmoz.org :)

dshah, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  15. techpro

techpro Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I'm very interested in the responses to this question. I'm not an SEO geek but I run several websites and make a reasonable living from one of them. I do find it impossible to justify spending some money that could otherwise be spent by my wife and me on a listing in a directory no-one who doesn't frequent forums like this has ever heard of.

I do look at the referrers in my logs quite often and the only sites where I see a significant number of referrals from directories are sites for locally based businesses that have a listing in a local business directory.

I understand the aim of getting improved serps, but in just about all the directories I have submitted to, the actual pages where the listings are have no page rank at all, even ones you pay for. Do these listings have any benefit at all? When I look in Google webmaster tools to see what links back it thinks I have, virtually none are from the directories I spent hours submitting to.

Another thing, somewhere in Google I recently saw a link where you can report sites that sell links to Google. What's the difference between a site selling a one way back link and a directory? If Google doesn't want paid for back links to count for anything then it can easily just exclude any links from directories that charge for them?

A couple of people suggested DMOZ - please tell how you got into it? The only site I ever got listed in there is my personal hobby homepage g4ilo.com. None of the sites I run to try to make a living from have ever got listed. :(

techpro, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  16. Providence

Providence Peon

Best Answers:
    I would submit to Aviva Directory. But there are just too many very good directories out there like Gii, it's so hard to choose.

Providence, Aug 1, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.