1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Social Bookmarking Sites Actually Help?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Pandacowl, Jul 29, 2007.

I see quite a few threads in the services part of the forum about adding your site to various social bookmarking sites, they also say that it will pass PR and give backlinks, is this true? Do they actually give decent backlinks and pass PR? Is it worth the money to submit your site to 100's of social bookmarking sites?

thanks.

Pandacowl, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  2. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    Some sites do pass a little pr and link back others use no follow or redirection.

rcj662, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've been submitting the internal pages for a client. There are a few companies using their domain name with the various extensions and they'd all show up on pages 1 and 2 in google. My client was normally #1 but not always. Now my client is always #1 and the other sites have dropped back to page 3 at best. Pages 1 and 2 are dominated by the bookmarking sites.

Now that's interesting but it does assume that the person searching knows the company name... but if they did then they'd just go straight to the site in most instances.

What will be proof that this is working is when the site starts ranking well for the "tags" I'm using.

remember that nofollow is only used by one of the search engines.

sarahk, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  4. sweetie_12

sweetie_12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Social Bookmarking Sites definitely bring traffic and this might be converted into sales...

sweetie_12, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  5. Pandacowl

Pandacowl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay so I checked a few social bookmarking sites, some use a nofollow tag.

Pandacowl, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  6. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    some do, some dont, you get traffic though ;)

Jasonb, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  7. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree with you

One of my sites receives traffic from search engines and it is in the second page of Google for a particular

whereas my site is in 5 th page for the same particular keyword!

Freewebspace, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Don't get too hung up on the no follows.
    a) the rules may change tomorrow and you'll have links sitting there waiting to go
    b) other search engines will be indexing and in the case of msn and yahoo they make alliances with major isp's and so become the #1 search engine in certain countries (NZ for instance) for non-tech users. Which search engine is the most important depends on your target market.

FWIW: I've been using onlywire (interestingly Google have made it an authority site despite it's lack of maintenance and broken submitters) and http://www.onlies.net/diggscaperedlicious/ which is more time sconsuming and therefore less likely to be abused?

sarahk, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  9. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, they work on getting lots of traffic. My blog is brand new this month and look at the traffic I'm getting. Now, I'm just waiting to see if I get PR from the backlinks that I'M getting from adding fresh contents daily.

[​IMG]

FOX LORE, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  10. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you are asking for pr passing, pr will pass from some of them which has not nofollow on their links.

but you can be sure that they sending great traffic:D

trichnosis, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  11. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what i like about social bookmarking is that it helps your inner pages get backlinks and maybe pr. therefore not going supplemental.

ichigo, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  12. go4

go4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Social Networking sites back links do help the site to gain link popularity and traffic.

go4, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  13. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    Social Networking sites are good for traffic but how much of this traffic converts remains a question.

vicdigi, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  14. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They're good for traffic, and often a story can get picked up and blogged about by users of the SB site, so while the site themselves may not count for PR purposes, all those blogs about your article probably will :0

etali, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They can help indirectly as well.

I have been using del.icio.us for over a year to help keep tract of the various hacks & mods I am putting onto my forums. While these bookmarks to vbulletin.org have done NOTHING in the way of links to my site having those links tagged has given me a chance to plug my sig here a few times.

For an example: Vbulletin - New Pages? Possible?

I've posted two links in the thread above, giving me two links via my sig here :D Had I not tagged those two vB.org links I'd likely not have posted in that thread, as I'm generally not inclined to search for someone else.

Other then that, I'm pretty much agreeing with sarahk in this thread.
    Q

Qryztufre, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  16. Mesum

Mesum Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi FOX LORE,
    Do you mind telling us what sites you used to submit your site?
    I have used Digg and Rediff to submit a link. I didn't get much traffic from Digg but link was indexed in Google within hours.
    On the other hand, I got a decent number from traffic from Rediff.
    I want my site to get a little attention at these sites but don't want to be on the front page as they provide useless hits and crash servers.

Mesum, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  17. wxyz

wxyz Guest

Best Answers:
    It help greatly to get traffic for the site.

wxyz, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  18. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    The most popular social bookmarking sites use rel-no-follow so they don't pass PR. They do bring in visitors and - as someone noted - help get page associated with relevant keywords.
    Social bookmarking isn't a guarantee for getting visitors, but it will likely help if your content is good and you picked a social bookmarking service that fits your target audience.

The thing your question totally misses out on is that social bookmarking doesn't have to get you a better position in the serps if you get direct traffic from their site. Compelling content means return visitors - so once people interested in your subject get to your site, they are more likely to return there, whether or not google sends more people.

kh7, Jul 31, 2007 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  19. seog176

seog176 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would advise just using them to compliment your link profile. A few links from social media, a few from directories, a few reciprocals etc I've found for my clients taht it all helps.

seog176, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  20. Jason Green

Jason Green Peon

Best Answers:
    yes they will help.

I submit to lots of smaller social bookmarking sites regularly - although its hard to track SE effect - but it appears to be helping.

For really good content I'll promote it on the bigger social networks to try and get a massive influx in traffic - usuualy works really well bringing lots of traffic and some links.

Jason Green, Jul 31, 2007 IP