1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What should I do with this domain? – Win $25.00

Discussion in 'General Business' started by classifieds, Jul 26, 2007.

I’ve been running a free classified ad site on iSell.com for the last 8 months and the site is doing ok considering I don’t spend any time or money marketing it.

But I have a gut feeling that a classified site is under utilizing the potential value of the name and I'm considering changing the business model to something more profitable.

If you were me what would you do with it?
    ( The best idea will win $25.00 via paypal or a donation to your favorite charity )

classifieds, Jul 26, 2007 IP
    itsme likes this.
  2. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To me the classified ads offer a good choice for that domain name, another choice might be a real estate site for owners to sell their own property or become an affiliate site for eBay and run auction ads.

allout, Jul 26, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  3. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    You (obviously) need something associated with selling. Classified sounds nice, but a bit old. I'd do a technology niche auction site, a bit more modern. Maybe innovate the concept somehow, find out what people would want t see in an auction site three years from now.

Then I'd use creative marketing campaigns that builds on the sites image as the most innovative selling point on the internet.

dnordstrom, Jul 26, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  4. maverick123

maverick123 Peon

Best Answers:
    iSell.com is a very nice domain name........ you must submit this domain to either Moniker for their live auctions or to sedo.com to pocket some good money.........:)

now where is my $25 :)

maverick123, Jul 26, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  5. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    Here’s the summary so far plus I’ve added an idea that I’ve been thinking about:

Allout: a real estate site for owners to sell their own property or
    become an affiliate site for eBay and run auction ads.

dnorstorm: I'd do a technology niche auction site, a bit more modern.

Maverick123: sell the domain.

From a PM: Get into the dvd ripping business.

Classifieds: become an ad posting service for a wide variety of categories. Take a user’s ad and post it to other sites.

classifieds, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  6. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    nice domain classifieds. Anyone who thinks free classified ads are going out of style is smoking something crazy. Look at craigslist...The site is exploding and still getting bigger everyday. I've sold numerous things over craigslist and many people I know (all in the 20-25 age range) know what craigslist is and visit it often. I say keep it a classifieds site, but offer some sort featured listings. Allow people to pay and have their add placed or cycled through the main page. Maybe have a "featured listings" section at the top of each category where members can pay to have their ad placed. Also, maybe add in some sort of option where members can say whether they are willing to ship the item or not...

Classifieds certainly aren't dying...and many people (myself included) have decided to go with sites like craigslist cause it's free to post, and things are nearby. just my thoughts!

FPForum, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  7. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    FPForum,

Thanks for the reply. iSell has ad upgrade options for Featured, Bold, Highlight & display ad in other regions. Featured ads are rotated on the front page and in their respective regions + categories.
    The ad upgrades currently account for about 10% of the revenue with the other 90% coming from Adsense.

Free classified sites are easy to build which accounts for the large number of them. I'm wondering if there is a better use for the domain name - it could be a whole new theme or maybe keeping it a classified site and adding other services to it?

classifieds, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  8. infopages

infopages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    isell.com can be used easily for e commerce, just hire someone to make website for you, put links backs and start selling things on it as its a good premium domain so you will get traffic easily and can earn through that - just use the idea if you like it.

infopages, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  9. richierich1m

richierich1m Peon

Best Answers:
    Make it an Auction site. Everyone could sell for free and you earn by feature listing (ebay type) Isell would be a good domain for this.

richierich1m, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  10. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First off, great domain name!

I also think that classifieds aren't as bad as you might think but since you are looking for other ideas here's mine:

Apple has invested a lot of time and money turning the "i" into a prefix that people associate with their products and technology in general, use their hard work and money to your advantage.

If it's possible, register a business and get licensed to sell Apple products online.

Also (regardless of your success with the above suggestion) run a classified/auction website that focuses on Apple products and technology items in general.

Computer equipment, laptops, mobile phones, car audio, etc...

By putting the Apple spin on it you can build a loyal base of users that know your website is THE place to go for Apple stuff but at the same time a general technology classifieds will bring in steady traffic and hopefully cash.

that or p0rn. :)

itsme, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  11. R0b

R0b Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's good for classifieds. Innovate around that concept. Add video listings so people can get a better idea of what they are buying.

Rob

R0b, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  12. KunkVentures

KunkVentures Peon

Best Answers:
    it is my opinion that the domain should match the concept, and not the other way around.

KunkVentures, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  13. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say: Sell this great domain name.
    A domain name like this can fetch $xxx,xxx

ablaye, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  14. Cylon

Cylon Peon

Best Answers:
    not isell, but is ell....

What is ELL?
    English Language Learner (ELL) program assists students whose first language at home is not English.

hows that for original?

Cylon, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  15. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've got my vote for the $25. ;)

(that or p0rn!)

itsme, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  16. BoutiqueMusic

BoutiqueMusic Peon

Best Answers:
    How about a wholesale biz.

You sell to stores. Everything.
    The potential customer (store) asks, "What shoud I sell? I know, I'll go to iSell.com." Maybe help people market the products you provide.

BoutiqueMusic, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  17. Cylon

Cylon Peon

Best Answers:
    Why thank you. rereading the op though its the best idea, not most original, so that $25 will be only a virtual fantasy, not transferred into a pizza and some cokes.

I tried "ise ll" too, but

LL ISE Reference

Double-junction Ag/AgCl reference electrode
    Fixed ground-joint diaphragm, minimum immersion depth 1 mm

is all I got, and that doesn't make much sense.

Cylon, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  18. MichaelS

MichaelS Guest

Best Answers:
    Online electronics bidding site.

MichaelS, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  19. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    So what's it gonna be? :) If you want a partner for my idea, PM me. ;)

dnordstrom, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  20. emilykash

emilykash Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

01. Informational/Forums site offering a vast array of articles written on the art of selling (and then obviously discussion) via online and/or offline methods. The i in isell could even stand for internet selling if you wanted it to. [Just not a tacky a page that screams scam -- some content that's actually valuable!]

02. If you turned it into a real estate/housing site, you could try and implement google maps into the search (offering to search within so many kms of where they want to be) as a well as the potential possibility of notifying the user via sms if a house/apartment becomes available.

Best of luck!

emilykash, Jul 30, 2007 IP
    classifieds likes this.