1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I cheaply copyright my work?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by tesla, Oct 23, 2005.

I wanted to start this thread getting everyone's advice on a cheap and quick way to copyright my work without having to go through the US copyright office, which is somewhat expensive and time consuming. Is their another way I can cheaply protect my work?

thanks.

tesla, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  2. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not being a lawyer or anything, but including a copyright notice on your work would, I believe, suffice.

Perrow, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  3. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah that sounds reasonable. I have a digital comic book I want to begin marketing, but I don't want to go through the hassle of the US Copyright office. In case someone does try to profit from my work, what proof can I show that the work was originally created by me?

I had an artist do the artwork for me. Could she serve as a witness?

tesla, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  4. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have a look at the threads below (in the similar threads section), they might provide you with some information.

In establishing the ownership of a piece of work the most fundamental thing (as I see it) is that you had a copy before the other person had one. Thus establishing that you had it before it was avaliable on the net would be nice. Maybe you could hand a copy to a lawyer before publishing it. A respected lawyer stating a date when he received a copy should hold as evidence in most cases (again, I think, not having tried it myself).

Perrow, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  5. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Copyright is automatically assigned to the author of a 'work'.

Putting Copyright 2005 etc only switches the burden of proof.

Make sure you have proof of the original work (source files etc).

Design Agent, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  6. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As an example of proof, I still have all the original emails sent to me with dates by the artist in Poland sending me the work. So if their is a dispute, can I provide a lawyer proof of those email dates.

What do you mean when you say Putting Copyright 2005 etc only switches the burden of proof. I have the very first actual print outs of the comic.

tesla, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  7. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    If I draw a picture I own the copyright. If someone copies it, its up to me to prove they had access to my work in the first place. Unless the work has a copyright statement, then the copier has to prove they didnt copy it - that is switching the burden of proof - this is how it is in the UK its usually similar in most countries.

There are also other issues like: was the work performed as a normal part of your work duties ? Or commissioned - this effects who owns the copyright too.

(Copyright design and patents act 1988)
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_1.htm

If you are really worried then some kind of copyright lawyer would be the best bet.

Design Agent, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  8. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I paid an artist on Poland to do the work. She did the artwork while I did the writing and editing. This is really good news. If I can bypass the US copyright office and save money and time, I can begin virally marketing the comic. I have a sizeable opt in list.

tesla, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  9. davediab

davediab Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes thats exactly right any original work is automatically copyrighted to the sole owner.

davediab, Oct 24, 2005 IP
  10. Monks

Monks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of the posts above are correct. Having the original source files does give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to copyrighting your work. However, adding the Copyright symbol at the bottom of your site doesn't mean much at all. The only true way to copyright your work/writting/design is to send it to the Library of Congress in Washington DC. Check it out online...I think it costs around $300 bucks after you fill out a couple of short easy forms. It is in my experience that this usually takes 6-10 months. If you pay twice the amount you can use some sort of expedited service...but that would only be for your head...they'll have copies of your original request on file if a hot situation arises.

Monks, Oct 25, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  11. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    You can register a literary work for $30. Since a comic would involve artwork don't know about it. Suggest you go to www.copyright.gov if you are in the states.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  12. inotelvis

inotelvis Peon

Best Answers:
    One way of copyrighting something is to post it to yourself. so if possible try and send a copy to yourself but make sure its unopened. Then if its needed in a court case it will be open infront of lawyers and judges to verify its yours.
    Oh and dont forget to date it or put in a paper clipping of the day, even though it will have a post mark with the date on it.

inotelvis, Nov 17, 2005 IP