Are there any directories that provide a real service to visitors?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by richrf, Jul 27, 2007.

1. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I agree that a the purpose of a directory is to be used as a reference, but sometimes the reference platform can become outmoded. Are directories of use any more with the advent of Google, in the same way Wikipedia has dated lots of online encyclopedias?

I also agree about directories being useful for link partners. However, this whole marketplace is dependent upon its usefulness in Google's algorithms. Should these algorithms change (as they are), then the usefulness of the directories begin to deteriorate. I would prefer to come up with a site and value proposition that is independent of the algorithms of one company (e.g. Google). But if that is the singular value proposition of directories,then I accept it, and will pass on the opportunity. However, if there are good examples of directories that are used by the end-user, then I am very interested.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  2. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Joeant is probably a fully bespoke system, an I suspect it would take a small fortune to properly implement,

But , my only suggestion to you would be to simply place a paid directory script on a new domain name, not your prize domain, and spend time learning about the industry,

I don't believe that anyone has the formula for success, tho 1 or 2 chaps here are surging ahead,

I truely welcome a chap who is looking outside ,,, the SE world, indeed one needs to gain direct traffic

centime, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just my opinion, but those directories that were designed only as an SEO tool will end up falling in the SERPs. Too many of them are not much more than fancy link farms.

Those directories that were built and designed to be a resource will continue to be a resource.

Not to be harsh, but, if you can't see the difference between them; you may be smarter to not get into the directory game in the first place.

YMC, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  4. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Then you will need to allocate some of your advertising budget to offline sources, and build the kind of directory that people will want to bookmark. There's nothing Google can do about people's bookmarks, unless they build a browser that automatically censors any bookmarks it designates as spam.

Obelia, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  5. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi centime,

Thanks much for your help and suggestions. I'll definitely pursue the topic and try to gain more knowledge about it.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Can you point me in the direction of a directory that provides a resource besides Yahoo and DMOZ (neither of which I use anymore anyway)? Thanks much for your help.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  7. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, but the directory has to have content that is worthwhile bookmarking. I am not saying that maybe I cannot build such a directory, but I would be interested in viewing such a directory that has already been built. Thanks for any recommendations.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think what you might be looking at is building a niche directory, that way you can be a true resource for websites and searchers in that specific niche.

jg123, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  9. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi jg123,

Niche, I think, is always good since it serves a very special interest. While the domain links.com has a broader meaning, I can always build sub-domains, that fit the niche. Can you point me to an example of a niche directory that you think is doing well in attracting searchers? If someone else knows of such a directory, I would appreciate the help.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Rich I don't mean to be harsh but what you are looking for right now is an extra terrestrial element unknown to earth and so far the elements known to earth are diamonds, gold, platinum, silver etc. unless you have discovered a new element you can probably make it known and that way it can be added to the table of elements and that is how people get known and remembered.

popotalk, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    templates likes this.
  11. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

Not being harsh at all. If it doesn't exist, then it doesn't exist. Case closed and I'm on my way looking for another idea. Thanks.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  12. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    I am hoping when our directories start filling more (see our footer) that they will offer far more to visitors.

That with earning money is entirely our aim.

Keep it real. Keep it tight and keep out the cr*p that shouldn't be listed.

vicdigi, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  13. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there vicdigi,

I like your sites. I think they look nice and seem like that the type of directories that may attract repeat visitors. How is it going in general? Are you getting repeats? Also, can you say which scripts you are using or are you using customized software?

Thanks for introducing me to your sites.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  14. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    Rich,

You know those words everyone keeps on using 'Human Edited Search Engine Friendly Web Directory'.

Well that is exactly what UK One (UK One Way Links) and MTD (My Travel Directory) are.

Glad you like the sites. Had them a while but only recently changed them to what they are.

Hoping for success like everyone else and have spent money. However, I still believe there is a long way to go. Fingers crossed on the next update.

Trying to keep my eyes away from stats at the moment and let be what will be. The way I see it is - search engine results and pagerank.

Yahoo is good for keywords in the UK, MSN is good for keywords in the UK and Google is indexing and climbing higher with more keywords.

vicdigi, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  15. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  16. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Niche directory portals I think are the way to go in the future. I started a Canadian Legal Directory around 4 months ago and have gotten very few submission but I am not really doing any promotion until I get some more backlinks. I am being careful spending money on promotion for this site and really want relevant backlinks only.

My health directory portal is my newest project and I think it is the model I like best, a niche directory with a blog and unique articles (I plan to add a forum some time in the near future).

Then again I also launched a unique style (the home page links are done in a unique way) bid directory and am adding unique articles there also to help with the search engines.

I think the biggest challenge for niche directories is having the patience to wait for profitability.

jg123, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  17. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good point there from a seasoned Directory Owner jg123 who has been around more than long enough to qualify that statement :cool:

britishguy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  18. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks britishguy, I have probably owned more directories than anyone else except for malcom and some of the qbc's

I have tried so many different ways to find success in this industry. In retrospect I probably should have focused on just a few projects but I get my enjoyment out of building new ventures. I always try and build something better by learning from my mistakes, then I do a reality check and realize 40+ sites on my own is foolish (there is just not enough hours in the day).

I am very pleased with the evolution of the industry as a whole and think that web directories have a bright future as long as owners continue expanding to new horizons with innovation and adding valuable content.

jg123, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  19. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I hardly use my dixonary any more.

If the question was directed to me, I think I already answered your question in my previous post. It depends on the person. I don't think they have broad appeal to the general public. I think they are useful to webmasters, marketers and academics.

Bernard, Jul 27, 2007 IP