1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's 2007-Q3/Q4 PageRank (PR) Update

Discussion in 'Google' started by hitboy, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So why do you bother to continue to argue on a thread that is discussing PR?:rolleyes: And why do you show continued interest on this kind of threads? Do you think you can convince PR lovers of your unfounded/without logic --imaginary bashing theory of PR?:rolleyes: Or you just want to increase post counts?

Those who have no interest on PR or who thinks PR is nothing but a number --please open a thread for yourshelves --and bash PR & enjoy -- while we enjoy discussing the benefit of PR here on this thread.

My favorite QUOTE -- LIVE & LET LIVE

jhnrang, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    Endurer likes this.
  2. rxbbx

rxbbx Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone is waiting.. +1

rxbbx, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  3. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very likely. Which still reinforces the point that it is worth building good PR, because it affects Google's crawl positively.

Jim4767, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  4. Volvospeed

Volvospeed Active Member

Best Answers:
    So how many hours do you think it takes google to calculate the PR of every website in the world? Why is everyone so sure its "live". The very equation itself is too dynamic to be live. It has to be based off a snapshot, yet everyone thinks at any give time google knows your PR with only a few seconds latency for some reason.

Volvospeed, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  5. FredrikMH

FredrikMH Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm shocked with the amount of PR "experts" in this thread and how different their ideas about PR is. It's worse than scientists are discussing the weather effects and the global warming. The big difference is there is real knowledge behind PR, what it actually is and what effect it has other than changing the green bar in the toolbar every three months.

But go on, this is fun :)

FredrikMH, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  6. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not agree with 99.999%, unless you count darhg, asertrtaharg, ratgdfbfgdfgnhfg, zxzxzxzxdasfcxxcsdf3444 as keywords.

Yes that it true, but thats usually (usually, not always) due to the authority of the domain, which usually has a high PR due to massive amount of links, example of this would be BBC's website.

For example a page from wikipedia will usually rank top for a term without any backlinks.

Anyway I am not saying PR is special factors within SE algorithms, I was simply stating that authority sites usually have a high pagerank, due to the great content they have or produce, and people link to it, how can you disagree with that?

bacanze, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    Instigator likes this.
  7. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    My guess, is that if you could go into google's database and give yourself a PR10, it wouldn't matter. PR is just an indicator of how many backlinks you have and nothing else. If you don't have the links, then it doesn't matter what the green bar says. They just go hand in hand.

Of course, a PR10 would probably help you a lot in the co-op network. =)

nddb, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  8. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You just might be on to something there....because your pagerank depends on the sites that link to you and the other sites that link to them....they need a starting point to start the calculations.....

oseymour, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  9. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't matter what you do or do not agree with... it's a fact. The problem is it would take me time and effort to show where you are wrong, and I already know you will spend 0 effort spouting more nonsense.

Go pick 30 medium competition keywords, ones that have 20,000-30,000 searches per month according Overture Keyword Selector Tool. Do searches on them all, and look at the top 10. See for yourself how many have all of the results greater than PR5.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  10. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    is there any updated yet?

toby, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. -- PR bashers just talk whatever they can--without showing valid proofs to backup their claims.:rolleyes:

Will some-one check the keyword Web Directory and then check the top 15?:rolleyes: It has around 18000 searchers per month.

Edit: One can also check Business Directory --it has around 88000 searchers.

jhnrang, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  12. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I think you're reading the opposite of what I was saying... I'm saying that for most individual keywords you don't need a ton of links to rank.

Now, there are ones that are naturally grouped, and that one homepage might be targeting 15-20 keywords at once... for stuff like that you do need a ton of links, and you will, as a result, have higher PageRank... but for the majority of them, especially geo-targeted or long tail phrases, you don't.

Even one of the ones ranking in the top 10 for [Business Directory] is only a PR5:

http://www.dirwizard.com/

-Michael

mvandemar, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  13. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry if I misunderstood you.
    Did you check the backlinks of that directory and what PR inbound is supporting that Anchor Word?:rolleyes: If not I would urge you please check it. It is a very high quality directory --very well managed by one of our peers. So no doubt it should rank that high.:cool:

It is not only the visual PR that is important on serps -- PR of inbound link with a particular anchor -is also very important. ( is not that why Google is hell bent on stopping paid links --because one can manipulate SERPs if they have deep pockets?) -- If a site is PR2 --and ranking higher than PR5/6 sites --one need to check its inbound links and sites who are supporting the site for which anchor.

But --PR4 is minimum requirements to rank for a highly competitive keyword (thats my personal judgement) --that has monthly searchers of around 15K+.
    But there are few exceptions. Authority sites with PR3 may outrank -a normal PR7 site because Google is giving them little bit more preference IMHO.

jhnrang, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  14. FredrikMH

FredrikMH Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did check the backlinks with a tool of mine and it has a lot of backlinks up to PR7. BUT the links come from sites with many OBL (up to 500), non-relative sites, link-spots at bottom of pages and so on. Not that impressive at all.

I can't see why you are telling us this. Of course PR is not the only important thing, in fact it's not even close to it and mvandemar didn't say that it was.

You don't necessarily need high PR to rank good, relative links from trustworthy sites or just QDF can make you rank good anyway.

Google are not favoring authority sites more than non-authority sites, that's just another myth. Authority sites rank good becuase they usually have a very good natural/orgranic link growth and they have links from other authority sites which also have this. Authority sites have also been on the Internet for some time now, which gives them trust. It's just as simple as that and no special algorithms to favor such sites.

FredrikMH, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK SEO Experts go get your own thread and stop spamming the PR thread. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 and jhnrang like this.
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are talking about Google's ideals! LOL-- But how many webmasters/companies follow the rule.?
    http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

That page explains the google technology --how bots find a site faster/better when they get support/votes from highly trusted sites.

Of late --all of us have been selling/buying high PR links to improve our own PR and hence SERPs.

www.mattcutts.com/blog/text-links-and-pagerank/

is not that post --and all those comments all about Google cracking down on paid links-- so that SERPs become democratic and natural? That thread is all about how webmasters/SEOs manipulating SERPs by buying high PR links with different anchor words.

Imagine --a big company wants to agreesively take over a Niche on the net and put aside a big budget. By using Google's technology --it can optimize hundreds anchor words by buying PR7/8 links.

Is not that why Google is going after?

So PR is what matters--. You get vote from high PR links --you get high PR too. It is synonimous.

PR can't come without --high PR backlinks --and permanent SERPs for really competitive words can't come without those high PR backlinks.

It is not the number or relevancyof backlinks that is important for SERPs --it is the PR of backlinks that is important.

On my DC -- I see Dirwizard ranking higher than GII -- for the term business directory. Now check on Yahoo Site-explorer -- which directory has how many backlinks!

Also please check which directory has optimized --which anchor words for which backlink. I mean --please check --how many PR7 backlink is for Dirwizard and how many PR7 for GII.

About OBL -- can you please tell me how many Google suggest within limit? I can see --he is having them within Google limit. No X/XX/XXX OBL is not good to list --is a myth created by SEOs or webmmasters for their own benefit. But unfortunately --those self-proclaimed experts do not regulate Google's algo. It is Google who regulate -- SERPs/PR/Crawling Algo. So there is only one authority in this field --Google and it certainly gives a specific number.
    Those who read too many SEO articles --posts --are certainly misguided into believing illogical myths.

I tell you this because of this thread -- http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/type/glossarydefinitions/

Webmasters are crying foul --everyday because of change in Google SERPs all the time. Those who will read this will understand that--the algo has changed. Google bots are always checking which site has how many backlinks for which anchor words and what PR. Accordingly it is adjusting its SERPs almost all the time. This is the order of the day.

Trustworty --yes. And to me trustworthy means --AUTHORITY.( the site should have 4 sitelinks -bellow the main URL). A site gains trust because of its reliability/longevity/trust votes from other trusted sites. It does not necessaily mean --the trusted site should be of high PR--because the trusted site giving a link to it may list it on a PR0 page.

To me -- a PR0 link from an authority site is more than worth a PR5 link from a non-authority site.

Now about -relevancy --WHAT IS RELEVANCY? Is not it a bit blurred?
    If I sell furniture -- I will hardly give a link to another site selling furniture for fear of it loosing out on SERPs to that site.

Are not humans nature selfish?

Google is definitely favoring authority sites.
    Please check some keywords ( for example -- sofa bed mattress)--after first 2/3 pages --it will show all those irrelevant pages from high PR/authority sites --where as there are so many high quality/highly relevant sites that sell sofa-bed mattresses.
    Big Auction sites has nothing to do with it. For this particular keyword --you get deep --sub-links 9from authority sites) from the first page ol Google search.

My friend -- PR is highly important --though i is not all.

Tnx
    John

jhnrang, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  17. bluegger

bluegger Peon

Best Answers:
    bluegger, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  18. steve1485

steve1485 Peon

Best Answers:
    who thinks PR doesn't help SERP, and why?

steve1485, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  19. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    PR is one of the many factors google uses to rank a site...

mikey1090, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  20. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jhnrang, Jul 27, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.