1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Republicans Out Of Touch With Reality?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by dgridley, Jul 27, 2007.

Ever hear someone say they can tell a certain type of joke because they are a [blank], so it's ok? Well, I'm a Republican (apologizes) so I guess when I say that the Repulicans seem to be out of touch with reality, it's ok because I'm one of you guys :p

Anyway, here it is, just after the landmark CNN/YouTube debates for the Democrats and we have just two Republicans who have signed up for the September Republican YouTube debate: Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) and Rep. Ron Paul (Tex.). What are they afraid of?

Well, we have a quote from Romney:

In an interview Wednesday with the New Hampshire Union Leader, Romney said he's not a fan of the CNN/YouTube format. Referring to the video of a snowman asking the Democratic candidates about global warming, Romney quipped, "I think the presidency ought to be held at a higher level than having to answer questions from a snowman."​

Sadly for Romney, that "snowman" may represent a voter. And Republicans are going to need to court every single voter if they expect to win in 2008 (they won't).

I think Republicans need to lighten up and realize that "the little guy" counts just as much as the next.. maybe more so.

What do you think?

dgridley, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  2. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    I think the "out of touch" comment applies to most politicians in the States and many in Canada and around the world.

What I don't understand is how these people managed to get elected in the States. These Republicans are against some basic human rights such as gay marriage, the right to abortion, etc; those should be clear deal breakers to the American people.

PalSys, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    login likes this.
  3. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think 99% of the population is out of realtiy, dems or repubs

ash1, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  4. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not only republicans...

Politicians, as a whole, believe they are a few notches above the "normal" people with regards to class... I'd love to see every single one of them get booted; then we could start fresh, nominating people that think instead of people that plot...

tarponkeith, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  5. awcguy

awcguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't get too crazy.. over half of america doesn't vote.. Normal People are to busy to worry about voting.. like you said.

Ron Paul Should get the Republican vote.

awcguy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  6. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let's look at the reality of the Democrats approach:

War on poverty - Give money to poor people and they'll soon work their way out of welfare and poverty. Reality is that over 4 decades of the war on poverty and the poor are still poor and are still some core Democratic voters.

Capital gains tax - Make it high so we can get more taxes. Reality is that whenever capital gains tax rate is lowered more capital gains are created and/or cashed in and total tax collected shoots up.

School funding - We can't allow individual tax payers to say where their tax money is spent on education it would be unfair to government run schools. Reality is that our college system has the government schools competing with private schools and they do quite well.

My friends when it comes to having a realistic expectations the Republicans have a clear edge over the wishful Democrats.

P.S. Doesn't it ever seem odd when the extreme rich (tobacco kings like Gore, moonshine heirs like Kennedys, ketchup barons like John Kerry-Hienz, etc) act like they are champions of the poor?

tbarr60, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  7. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:

All true, but the same points could be made for Republicans as well as Democrats. I'll be the first to admit that the vast majority of American politicians are morally corrupt.

PalSys, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  8. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:

You mean American as in North American, South American, Central American and non-American politicians, right??

tbarr60, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  9. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    No, I meant America as in the United States of America. Politicians are morally questionable everyone where in the world but I've never seen anything like the Christian right wing or the whining left wing in the US.

PalSys, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  10. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Government Out Of Touch With Reality?

There, fixed that title for ya.

ly2, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  11. inferno3387

inferno3387 Banned

Best Answers:
    Woah, hold on. A human right is to kill babies by abortion? :eek: Some of you people are freakin' stupid...

inferno3387, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  12. tarponkeith

Best Answers:
    Attacking the person, not the issue: Ad hominem logical fallacy...

And shouldn't the woman be able to make all decisions about her body? What if the government said that men can't masturbate, because those are POSSIBLY going to be babies...

tarponkeith, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  13. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    He didn't say removing the egg was murder....

Killing a baby is killing a baby. murder is murder. What can be more evil than killing a defenseless baby? What kind of man does it take to pull the limbs off a small child?

debunked, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A man like Bush. Killing babies, cutting off their limbs. Here are some pictures:

Attached Files:

gworld, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  15. demosfen

demosfen Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it's the reality out of touch with the party line

demosfen, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  16. tarponkeith

Best Answers:
    People are going to have abortions , stem-cell research just allows us to scientifically benefit from the discarding of a fetus... You like science right? You're using a computer, that was created by scientists... What if the stem-cell research created a drug that could cure all diseases, would you be willing to allow members of your family to die horrible deaths from Parkinson's or cancer, because of your stance against stem-cell research?

Now, as for abortion, I agree that partial birth abortion, and abortions in the third trimester should be illegal. But, first term should be allowed, as a fetus doesn't develop brain wave patterns until about week 26-28...

I really don't understand the republican's stance on this issue, they claim to be for "little government" when it comes to a males body or financial issues, but want the government to get involved on this issue concerning female bodies...

17. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    I do believe firmly that every woman has to be able to make those choices about her own body.

When my wife became pregnant with my son two years ago, we found out quite quickly that there were serious potential problems. We decided against abortion because the risk was about 50/50. Lucky for us and for my son, everything turned out well. On the other hand, there is more then one early diagnosis that obviously requires an abortion.

Regardless, it certainly isn't the place of my government to tell women what they can and cannot do. Abortion isn't regulated in America because of its truly debated morals, it is regulated because America is controlled by blind Christians.

And finally, calling me "stupid" simply makes your argument look weak. I understand that abortion is a touchy subject, but I think we can all be mature enough to debate it without that type of talk.

PalSys, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  18. tarponkeith

Best Answers:
    Well said, I like some of you maple-leafers :)

This thread is reminding me of that episode of "Sunny in Philadelphia", where the guy claimed to be pro-life to get close to a girl... Good times... Anyways, I'll get back on topic now...

19. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:

Maple-leafers rule! :D

PalSys, Jul 28, 2007 IP