1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Idea

Discussion in 'Directories' started by dnordstrom, Jul 27, 2007.

I've got an idea about a directory and I wanted to see if there's any interest in it. I'm not really into directories and that's why I'm asking. Anyhow...

Let's say you're submitting to a directory. You never know where your bucks will end up. Will they be invested back into the site or go into some greedy boys pocket?

Well, here's a better idea. Let's say I created a directory from scratch, PR 0, nothing. Then I'd GUARANTEE that a minimum of 50% of your paid submissions will go to establishing a high PR that you will benefit from.

And I'm talking 50% to higher PR and ONLY higher PR. Every single percent of those 50 would go to something YOU benefit from, such as buying backlinks. The other half would cover general promotion, hosting and whatever else is needed to run the directory.

Simple question.

Would you buy a this service if you were GUARANTEED that 50% of your payment would go back into building backlinks?

Thank you for reading. :)

dnordstrom, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  2. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And how do you guarantee this?

Velocity, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  3. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, that's a problem. My idea is to list the amount of submissions and how much money there is in the "spending" account. Then maybe have a blog where I write whenever I use the money to buy backlinks, and show exactly what I'm buying.

But of course, there's no such thing as 100% guarantee.

4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most 'trusted' directory owners re-invest 60%-150% of their earnings into their directory projects for the first 6-months to a year.

If you could figure out a way to prove your re-investment it might interest some folks but there is really no way to prove it unless you give access directly to your Paypal account.

jg123, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I own a bidding web directory

i re invest 100% of my revenue. Plus around $2000 a month i make online. Plus around $400 a month i make on google adsense. Plus another $400 a month from my part time job.

And i make no promises. If people see evidence of your hard work, passion and determination, they will pay to be on your site. Not a 50% promise.

mikey1090, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  6. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    Nice opinions, thank you all. 50% is just a number, could just as well pick 90 if that's what it takes. As I said, I'm not really into this stuff. :)

7. arcguy

arcguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Idea is Good but giving guarantee to plug back buyer investment is not practically possible, every one can assure its buyer that he will invest in directory but its up to directory owner.

arcguy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  8. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    Same problem occurs as I'm planning to start a charity website.

Probably no one will donate if they aren't guaranteed that the money won't go into my pocket. And how do I guarantee?

Man, this trust thing is messed up. :D

9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is really no way that you can guarantee, and someones word can mean little, my own cousin has scammed me in the past :eek: shocking i know.

Many directory owners are plouging near to 100% back into theirs, some with massive budgets.

Also where you reinvest has much of an influence of what the outcome "could" be.

Also outside, personal circumstances could affect what was first a good plan.

A good honest idea is admirable but making things happen are more difficult.

pipes, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    kiviniar likes this.
  10. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe a better idea would be to start building a quality directory and then go paid. That way people will see that you have invested in the directory.

This isn't to say that you're ultimate aim is not to make money as well. :D

qazu, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  11. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    You must be patient first of all, if you have no patience directory aint your style, so are you patient, i mean really really patient?

paidhosting, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  12. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    No. :D

Sounds like directories is something you should consider if you have a budget to work with. :)

13. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion for what it's worth, is when you invest in a listing, you are making an assumption (a large one) that the directory owners are honest and want to make the directory a good value for you and all of it's visitors.

The owners who want to make their directories useful invest WAY over xx% back into their directories to do just that. Ones that don't reinvest is where the term QBC came from I would imagine.

All that being said, there is no real way to know if the owners are reinvesting anything except by watching directories grow in their promotion, content and popularity.

threebuckchuck, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  14. maverickk3

maverickk3 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First of all I can't understand how you can guarantee this and why should I believe you.
    Second, reinvesting 50% of your earnings is nothing great. As others said many people reinvest even 100% or even more on their directory.
    If you want people to trust you, then take care of your buisiness and take actions, don't promise.

maverickk3, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  15. kashem

kashem Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes , when it is proven that u do.

kashem, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  16. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This IMO would constitute the sale of PR and would thus get you banned by Google relatively quickly, especially if you plan to publicise where and when you purchase links.

Again, just IMO ;)

SilkySmooth, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  17. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    SilkySmooth, you've got a point there. :D

As I mentioned, it has now become very clear to me that you need a big ass budget to get into directory business. :)