1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rand

Discussion in 'Directories' started by axemedia, Jul 25, 2007.

Randfish goes into more detail on the value of directories.

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-wisdom-folly-of-directory-link-building

Like many others I'm growing disappointed in using directories for backlinks. There are just too many crappy directories. 80% of you reading this may own one of these useless dirs. Sorry but its true. Not to mention the stupid prices on those that might offer a bit of value. And their recent switch to yearly pricing while maybe they are not truly discerning enough on approving low-quality search spam sites (com'on guys, sheesh). I'll refrain from naming sites.

Now determining which paid and free directories are actually worth while? Man, its getting hard.

Even on Aviva's Strongest List I bet only about 25% of those are truly worthwhile and only half of them have any value at all.

axemedia, Jul 25, 2007 IP
    explorer and Mong like this.
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well one thing is for sure this OP will ensure some healthy debate in this thread :)

britishguy, Jul 25, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  3. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's why I just signed up at http://www.directoryinbox.com/ so they can tell me what's worth submitting to.

acuman, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  4. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    malcolm1, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  5. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:

ugggg. I'm seeing the shit on some of the other threads related to Rands first Whiteboard Friday post.

Now what I would really like to hear in this thread is a discussion on how to determine the directories that offer REAL value. Not a bitch-fest from an industry that is feeling slighted.

britishguy likes this.
  6. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dude, There is 2 types of directories, QBC and serious Directories Of members who spend thousands of dollars in the promotion and backlinks, recently i started selling directories links from my new network of 60 directories, and after only 2 to 3 weeks one of my clients went from #8 to #6 for a very competitive online games keyword, another one jumped from page 8 to the top 20 for a home business keyword, then another one got the #2 position for a baby gifts shopping keyword, now am sure that am giving a value to my clients and you can pm me if you want the urls and the DP nicknames of the members that bought this service so you can ask them.

but hey 80% of us ? are you serious ? how did you calculate that ? because am sure that 80% of the directories owners here are serious webmasters who invest a lot of money and time to give a value to their clients... also its up to you to find the quality directories from the QBC directories..

good luck

funkymario, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  7. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Exactly what I focus on too, directories that offer REAL value, but in my opinion and only an opinion

One of the first steps to determine those factors is to understand that almost without question due to the large amount of useless directories out there, it's nigh on impossible to know which is a good and which is QBC

For that reason I base all my Review submissions on who owns the Directory and whether that Directory is supported 365/24/7 by a marketing and support program :cool:

8. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Yup, its a wild guess. But look at the number of new directories popping up in Solicitations and Announcements every single day. 90% might even be a better number.

10% to 20% may still represent 100's of good directories.

Sounds great, but your deeply involved in the industry and know most the owners and interact with them regularly. I on the other hand just submit to directories, and scratch my head often trying to figure out if this one directory is worth my time or my $10, $25, $49, $whatever.

Yet i still take the shotgun approach with the free directories. Pay a submitter $40 and have them hit 500 directories. I know some of them are passing link juice because they do help ranking for moderate to low competition keywords.

But I'm not about to take that shotgun approach with paid directories.

9. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Very well said...

I as well do the same to make sure that im giving those submitters better
    serps (from my acceptence/review) as ive seen some of mine jump up in
    Se terms as well and/also thier details page created that beat thier competitors...

And i have a few repeat submitters that wouldnt be coming back if i didnt offer
    some type of value to them, wether the webmaster or seo or business people
    that submit sites...

thx
    malcolm

10. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:

I bet all directories have some kind of value

Let me tell you one thing,I will soon prepare a list of quality directories not based on PS,PR or Alexa or backlinks

It will be based on the value of links in a directory!

Freewebspace, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  11. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Rand can be a great guy. But, can he fix his own website before talking about livelyhood of others?

maldives, Jul 25, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  12. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see these articles as link baiting only... and its working too.

jimkarter, Jul 25, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    already said this a few days ago (and believe it too) :)

an0n, Jul 25, 2007 IP
    jimkarter likes this.
  14. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thats exactly what is happening with my network too, after they saw the value of my directories, they came back and submitted other websites :)

by the way Malcolm check your pm i sent you a message a few days ago :)

cheers.

funkymario, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  15. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Does that mean you will be taking the PS banner off Dump? :p

I get over 50 pms daily, resend it please as it probably got wiped out..:eek:

thx
    regards
    M1

16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Going to Office right now-- already made an answer to Rand's accusation --will edit it more when I come back from office (yes some people have other works in life too other than bashing some one) -- and announce it to DP Directory community when I am ready,:)

SEOMOZ should get a fiting and strong reply for what it is doing to our industry.

jhnrang, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  17. britishguy

Best Answers:
    I can see from your posts that you are targeting focused points, which is great as your posts are seeking answers not controversy :cool:

But may I say that despite who I know or do not know I too take a 'shotgun' when I submit to free Directories, which these days is very infrequently, as other sites generate better back links which I focus on

I would never take a shotgun approach with Directories but having said that I guess with around 20 to 30 minutes of my time I could create a very solid index of paid Directories just by tagging the genuine Directory Owners here on DP

May I re-confirm that there are many committed reliable Directory Owners here on DP who own & operate quality value added Directories

18. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you from experience these articles are 100% used for link bait and they work very well.

Use a subject that is controversial or is a recent hot topic and boom you have great link bait. Google's recent paid link trip has made directories a great topic for link bait.

Just check out all the comments some recent post have gotten here like "Directories are dead".

redgsr, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  19. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    I know that, but am seeking some direction i suppose.

And no doubt Rands, and others, articles make good link bait, BUT, they are still bringing up topics worth discussing.

20. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Who is Randfish? Can you ask him to fix his own website? :eek:

maldives, Jul 25, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.