1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How bad is google these days.

Discussion in 'Google' started by Hawaii, Oct 22, 2005.

I have been searching for real estate websites on google typing different areas and looking for differents realtors, I also used mcdar.net and typed in over 100 realtor websites and a phrase.
    I got o results for all 100 websites I tried. On MSN and Yahoo I found them no problem.

This tell me that google is out to get realtors touse adword.
    Your do you think about this?

Hawaii, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  2. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
  3. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is a highly competitive area, and I would expect to to some problems on any engine. Overall, I think google is looking good, though they need to rank my sites a little higher still. I'll have to give Larry a call later about that.

dvduval, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  4. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately this isn't the first complaint I've heard regarding Google. On a webmaster forum it can be put down to the nature of being a webmaster, however, I have also began seeing the same type of complaint on non-webmaster forums from people who fall into the category of average searcher. If I was Google, I'd be worried.

mcfox, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  5. usandr

usandr Germes

Best Answers:
    Big problems with current RE SERPs.
    At least for me :(

usandr, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  6. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dvduval :)

Please .... Put a good word for me too..

Btw.. about our discussions.. I'm all better now overall .. Thank you for all the nice words back then.

Cristian Mezei, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  7. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I pretty much exclusivly use google for searching, but find better results on MSN and Yahoo. I'll probably start using MSN soon, Google is just habit.

mdvaldosta, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  8. baseballcube

baseballcube Peon

Best Answers:
    Google screwed up their update...Lets see what happens during the next 2 updates.

baseballcube, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  9. Hawaii

Hawaii Active Member

Best Answers:
    actually there is only 2 listed on the first page, and if you go through the first 100 pages you will only find a handful compared to MSN and Yahoo. What you find is directories, and some national real estate companies. Most of the individual realtor websites are completly gone.

Hawaii, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  10. 4Comparison

4Comparison punkah walla

Best Answers:
    Working on sites not SEO over the past week or so, I discovered the Jagger update by the funniest of ways.

My Google PPC campaigns shot through the roof !

IMO, for my terms, relevancy went into the crapper, and the only options for surfers is the PPC ads.

Either way, G wins (or loses).

When your business model is based on mutually exclusive objectives, PPC clicks and SERP usefulness, each iteration of updates gains in one area and falls in another.

4Comparison, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  11. etnu

etnu Peon

Best Answers:
    Only not.

Google ultimately makes more money by being a great search engine than they do from the PPC ads on the SERPS page, by sheer virtue of volume.

Couple that with the fact that they have their ads plastered onto the sites of most of the people who turn up in the SERPS anyway, and they win regardless.

Google could completely shut off ads on the SERPS page, and they'd still be making a ton of money. For yahoo (although they DID just recently start their publisher network, so we'll see) and MSN, the same can't be true.

Historically, everyone thought that search couldn't be monitized because nobody saw the value in sending people off to other people's sites. That's why MSN & Yahoo just used google as their search provider. Google then captured that market and realized that they could be profitable by actually putting advertisements on the sites that people search for.

Combine that with the CPC pricing model (which makes adwords more enticing than other, CPM-based systems), and you've got yourself covered on both ends.

Make no bones about it, google is an advertising company more than they are a search engine. They beat out the other advertisers, though, because they don't just handle the ad stuff, they actually control half of all searches being performed. Doubleclick, Tribalfusion, etc. can't possibly do this -- nobody would ever use their search engine.

Expect to see the trend continue. Yahoo is jumping in, and MSN will be appearing shortly, I assume.

etnu, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  12. seo-ireland

seo-ireland Peon

Best Answers:
    The way I see it is that the SERPS cannot possibly stay as they are now. Searchers are not happy. Google may make a profit initially from PPC but people WILL switch if they are dissatisfied and Google's user base will decrease.

Jagger is not over - Google are not stupid and they would not put their reputation at stake just to thwart a small percentage of webmasters employing SEO. My advice is to sit tight and wait for the dust to settle. I am freaking just like everyone else but I will sit on my hands for now.

seo-ireland, Oct 22, 2005 IP