1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Boycott Google! 10 Reasons To BOYCOTT GOOGLE!

Discussion in 'Google' started by jquindlen, Jul 12, 2007.

1. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    Nemesis has some good points..

Remember that absolute power corrupts absolutely. ;)

aletheides, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  2. SeoVeteran33

SeoVeteran33 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well said, rep added

SeoVeteran33, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  3. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your point on adsense is misguided. Adsense ads do not pass any search engine ranking value and that is what Google is attempting to stop is paid links passing value. Now don't get me wrong, I totally agree here. I don't think Google should mandate whether or not I get value based on whether I pay for a link or not... or if google thinks I paid for a link...

However keep in mind Google is a business and they will and can do anything that will improve their results, if they think this will help them you really can't fault them for doing it.

visio, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for pointing that out. It's something that I think most webmasters do not understand, and sadly I think many do not understand because they have not bothered to read anything other then a few posts by others that never bothered to read anything.

It's not all that hard to figure out the difference between what Google is wanting to do with paid links and even how to get around them. Though the first step in figuring that out is NOT animosity towards Google, but rather, reading the f'ing manual.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

And to all those that have said "it's the sad truth" that google MUST be used, the sad truth of the matter is that it's ignorant webmasters like yourselves which causes such things. There are alternatives which you can guide your readers to use. There are different mail services you can use. There are different methods of advertising (both buying and selling).

You can still optimize to bring in those that still use Google, but once they get to your site you can push them in new directions.

Qryztufre, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  5. djixas

djixas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haven't read all this crap and won't read.

Its same like: Microsoft sucks, but I use windows.

Jut get your own life and stop be jealous.

Thats why google grows.

djixas, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  6. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ha ha. Then how can you comment on this topic if you refuse to read it? :D You're just going to assume that the discussion was about X, when a few moments of reading would clearly illustrate we were talking about Y?

Your summary: Microsoft Google sucks, but I use Google windows.
    My summary: Google is a monster, so I only use services owned by their competition.

In regards to the whole paid posting crap, one of my favorite points is that in their webmaster FAQ, Google says to "make pages for users, not for search engines" but then directly contradicts that by telling webmasters to place "nofollow" tags on any sponsored links they sell so that it doesn't effect their search engine algorithm. Gee, that sounds a whole lot like I am making the page for their search engine, not for my users.

jquindlen, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  7. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the rep, Dglassman. Much appreciated. :)

This is a good point, Visio but to that I say, a business is also exactly what I and many other webmasters are running, and buying links is a legitimate business transaction in the same way as companies buy 30 second avertising slots on TV or purchasing a newspaper ad. The reason Google want to deter people from buying links is that it cuts out the middle man, i.e. Google.

Even if, as many of the coolaid drinkers will, we discount everything I just said as complete rubbish, Google cannot justify asking people to "report paid links" because neither the reporter or Google can possibly prove a link has been paid for, unless they somehow manage to torture a confession out of the webmasters involved. The bottom line, therefore is that Google put their God hat on and decide FOR us, what is and isn't a paid link based solely on what THEY see as a disadvantage to them.

As for the numerous people on here who continue to repeat the mantra that anyone criticising the sacred god Google MUST be doing so because they have somehow been wronged by them, that is so shallow an argument it's pitiful. I for one criticise Google because they deserve criticism. To steal a phrase from politics, Google has become the "huge clunking fist" of the internet and if they are placed above criticism they will only get more dictatorial than they already are.

Nemesis7485, Jul 22, 2007 IP
    jquindlen likes this.
  8. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been wary of Google's emense growth watching them gooble up sites left and right, but it wasn;t until they banned link sales that I got ticked enough to stop using them. I am currently getting a better response to my ads on AdBrite than I ever did with adsense.

In my opinion Google went after the link sales because they compete with Adsense and most likely this could end up hurting a ton of sites that bought links just to get thier site kick started. If google focused on the content and relevancy and was less vague about how to build better sites then selling links would most likely have little effect. They created the market and now they seek to destroy it.

Google is no longer acting like the lil search engine that wanted to better the world, but more like a search engine that wants to rule it.

I am now looking at Yahoo! as a better way to advertise and have changed it to my homepage... heck I might even reinstall their IM.

dragons5, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  9. djixas

djixas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did read first post and it's enough.

So your point is:

I don't use Google, they are big. I will use Ask, Live, Yahoo or any other, they are not so big. Once they will be so big as Google, I will use another company services again...

djixas, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Oh, so what you are saying is that the other 100 or so replies in this thread are crap and that all the members here are below you accept the OP?

Thanks for reading the rest of the points brought up by other members... way to go for getting along. Such a nice fellow you are.

Now kindly go use google because jquindlen said not too :rolleyes: maybe you can find a thread where you'll actually bother reading something more then just the original post. :cool:

Qryztufre, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  11. B2UEntertainment

B2UEntertainment Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you 100% man. At this point Google is just getting ridiculous. They treat small publishers like crap and cater to the big ones. One of my biggest problems with Google is the fact that they ban you and don't bother explaining anything. That is not professional in the least bit. And they have to be some of the biggest hypocrites I have ever laid my eyes on. Do I even need to explain why I think that? Because their hypocrisy sticks out like a sore thumb.

I use to love Google, but then I started seeing them for who they truly are. They think they are the internet police, and I can't stand them for that. Don't worry though, they are only digging their own grave with how they disrespect webmasters.

And it's all because they are so full of themselves.

"We have the most used search engine, webmasters need us, lets tell them what they can and can't do"

I support this boycott.

B2UEntertainment, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  12. zinruss

zinruss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe the keyword here is "user friendly". Linux is free but not user friendly. Yahoo, google, ask and other search engines are free too i believe google get the ball rolling.

http://www.google.com/corporate/tenthings.html

zinruss, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  13. World_Peace

World_Peace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I do believe that you are right till some point and google do treat small webmasters as a crap. But right now there is also not any google advertiser which pyas good money for posting avertisers as compared to google. Atleast I have not found any other good option then google.

World_Peace, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  14. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    I wonder how this boycott is affecting Google's "bottom line"?

Lexiseek, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  15. worldso

worldso Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with the opinion about google. Many sites i had were listed in google and all of a sudden they disappeared. It seems like google only wants to work with the larger companies and is hurting small ones.

If anyone is daring enough to start a new search engine similar to google I would definitely give it a shot.

The results from searches in google are not as good as they used to be.

Farida

worldso, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  16. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:

I totally agree with this.

vicdigi, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  17. DW1

DW1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's simple - don't sell links for PageRank. (Give them away, that's fine? :D) If someone wants to advertise on your site and has an unrelated business, add "rel=nofollow"....

DW1, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  18. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    Boycott this stupid idea.

Forrest, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  19. jg_abad

jg_abad Peon

Best Answers:
    it is doesn't matter which things u r using.it is totally depends on the service they providing. Google providing best quality results to their customer and that is why people love google. when other companies provide services batter than google people start using those services.every thing is depends on result and services.

jg_abad, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  20. rolypoly

rolypoly Active Member

Best Answers:
    just like microsoft dominating the desktop market for the last 20-30 years.. now, everyone start to get jealous of google booming growth?

rolypoly, Jul 26, 2007 IP