1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm Selling Abraham Lincoln's Cane on Ebay!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mizt, Oct 21, 2005.

As a few of you know, it was mention in a thread a month or so back, I got a job at the local "Isoldit" eBay store. Basically we sell peoples items and take a cut. As much as I hate working I choose to work, not to pay for anything, but to learn. I must say I've research everything from fur coats to precious moments dolls. This story tops the list though and has made every second of the job worthwhile. An old guy brought in what he insisted was Abraham Lincoln’s cane! He said he found this in his wall when he was remodeling in Illinois. The owner called BS right away, but me and a co-worker said he accept it. After calling "Curriers?" and some college professors, we were to say the least, surprised. This is either his cane or a replica cane from his era when a shop in his home town produced a few canes like Abe's to make a buck. We where also told some of his original canes where never found :eek: . I believe the owner is missing the boat on this opportunity, because if I own the store I'd sure as hell be getting some press releases, calling CNN and everything for some free PR.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ABRAHAM-LINCOLNS-RED-OAK-HAND-SPLIT-CANE-1905-ABE-RARE_W0QQitemZ7720451858QQcategoryZ33774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think?
    -Think this will sell?
    -Think this will blow up?
    -Think this is possibly Abe's cane?

Sorry, I still think this is an extremely cool item and I had to share it with you guys.

mizt, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  2. Pixel Dynamics

Pixel Dynamics Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hrm. im not sure how many people would be willing to risk 50k when they arnt even positive if it "IS" his cane.

But good luck with it, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Pixel Dynamics, Oct 21, 2005 IP
    keral82 likes this.
  3. keral82

keral82 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think 90% of chnaces are that this cane is fake. Nowadays there are many masterminded frauds who can create anything they like.

keral82, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  4. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think the owner should have gotten some sort of letter of authenticity from an recognized authority or auction house. It could be real, but something tells me they probably tried to get it certified and weren't able to. For that reason, I don't think it will sell.

I'm a direct descendent of a pretty famous US President (picture on US currency) and my family has quite a few items that are "supposedly" his, some even have the right name. The problem is that there were cousins and other relatives with the same name so proving exactly who owned each one has been impossible. Years ago, my grandmother took about 20 of these items to Butterfield's and they were only able to say three were positively owned by him (a bible - which was easy because it had family lineage) (an ink drawing which was in a photograph of the White House) and mother of pearl opera glasses (which were later stolen). She didn't wind up selling them, and they passed on to my mother who still has them.

mjewel, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  5. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mjewel.. which president?

yo-yo, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  6. BizzyB

BizzyB Peon

Best Answers:
    Like the fact that the bottom few cross sellers on the page are for wood planes - maybe thats so you could shave the "Made in Taiwan" stamp off it!!! :D :D

Joking aside - Nice piece tho - interesting to see if you sell it for that price....

BizzyB, Oct 22, 2005 IP