1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adding links on Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Google' started by levikay, Jul 21, 2007.

Hey guy i just noticed that i can add links on Wikipedia in the external links part
    is that a good thing will it higher my page rank and will it get me more traffic.

levikay, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  2. dopiitv

dopiitv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They might be no follow links (meaning they contain a tag telling the spider not to follow them), which would not increase pagerank or seo rankings. But if they arent no follow, they will definately help

dopiitv, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  3. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    honey, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  4. ajitjc

ajitjc Banned

Best Answers:
    But is it there for a long time?

ajitjc, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  5. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that ALL external links on Wiki are nofollow so no good for PR, but might be useful for traffic - guess it depends on which page you choose and if it evades moderation.

CountryBoy, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  6. jazz7620

jazz7620 Banned

Best Answers:
    Add your link only if your site is relevant and useful for the Wiki's visitors. Don't just add links to your websites which has nothing but tons of affiliate links. The editors will remove your link and your ip may be banned.

jazz7620, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  7. levikay

levikay Active Member

Best Answers:
    oK thanks guys
    but what do u mean by "nofollow" links

levikay, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  8. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    It is dishonest to add links to wikipedia just for personal gain or benefit of your site. A lot of people have put a lot of hard work into creating wikipedia and writing all of the articles. Now other people like you want a free ride on the backs of the people who did all of the work. It's dishonest.

billybw, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  9. CountryBoy

Best Answers:
    Basically a little piece of code (rel="nofollow") is added to the link so that the Googlebot doesn't go through it - consequently can't pass any PR value.

CountryBoy, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  10. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is an attribute applied to a link that prevents it from helping your rankings or passing PR

oseymour, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  11. levikay

levikay Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well my site refers to the articles, who ever is looking for more information about the article can click on it to find out more about what ever they are reading about if the person who made the article didn't want the link he could have just blocked the external links. It's not hurting anybody by me posting my site where there is a related article. It's only helping people learn more.

levikay, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  12. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    No. Spam is taken down, usually it's damn near instant. IBM did a study and found the average vandalism on Wikipedia is up for 5 minutes. There are bots monitoring all the articles and the recently changed report.

Editors are particularly hostile toward external links, and will assume they're spam. If you really want to add an external link, the proper way to go about it is to suggest the link on the article's talk page and leave it up to the community to decide.

If your page is good enough, somebody else will have already added it, or will when they find it. You're also not supposed to go writing articles about yourself. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a bathroom wall.

It's a flawed one, but there's really no reason to go making it worse by spamming the place.

Forrest, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  13. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Guys...EVEN if it is no follow...but wiki links are very useful. They give a lot of traffic. For one of my site 80% Traffic came from wiki for 1 whole week, until my site became popular. And now they removed my link, but doesnt matter my site ranks well in the SE already.

I already got the initial boost that i wanted and thanks to wiki ;)

Black_Hand, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  14. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    Useful to the spammer, but not at all useful to the community. If they removed your link, it probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. This is like letting your dog sh*t on somebody's lawn, and then letting them clean it up.

The editor who removed your site ... it matters to him or her. That editor now considers you a spammer, will never visit your site, and if they see you keeping it up, they'll add your domain to Wikipedia's blacklist.

Is a little bit of short term traffic worth a tarnished reputation?

By spamming.

Forrest, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  15. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it will not help your seo but it will bring you targeted traffic

trichnosis, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  16. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People do it all of the time I was speaking to one guy who was getting thousands of visitors from it every week. He just thought it was O.K. and he thought he was getting PR etc. from them too, I explained that you are not supposed to do it and the no follow thing to him. If you have some really great information that can add to an article they will sometimes let em slide.

Dave E, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  17. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats use less, no pr juice is passed.

Jin, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  18. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    Define Spamming?

There is a wiki page about "Product X" and If I run a website which has say - review of "Product X" or "Something Related to Product X" then isn't it logical to put that link in the "External Link" section of the "Product X wiki page"?

Of course it is helping the community and your example about 'leaving dog sh*t is completely irrelevant".

Wiki is an Open Encyclopedia, anyone can edit it, including the "Maker of Product X" itself. The link could have been removed by the company, by my competitor, by the editor or even by YOU! If it was by the editor, he would definitely communicate with me (There is a way to do that, in case you don't know).

My point it - People are going to wiki to FIND more info on something. And the External links are there to let them see whats beyond that wiki page. And if you think you page fits that place, you should definitely put it there.

You can't call this spamming because - spamming is something repetitive. If you are continuously adding your same site to wiki after it is been removed every time, you might call it spamming.

A simple "relevant" link of a subject isn't spamming! Today wiki is FREE, tomorrow if they come up with something like -

"Add your link to External Link of a particular page and pay XX amount" -- then it won't be spamming???

I am helping the community by letting them know about a relevant website on a particular Wiki Page. People are finding it relevant and that is why they are clicking and visiting the site.....And Since they liked it they kept coming back......

So Thats why i don't really care if you call this...'spamming' or not

But guess what I call it?

I call it not being 'stupid' or being 'smart' :)

Black_Hand, Jul 21, 2007 IP
    Forrest likes this.
  19. FairyOfLove

FairyOfLove Banned

Best Answers:
    If someone places his article + link on Wiki ..
    will it effect his PR much or not ?

FairyOfLove, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  20. CountryBoy

Best Answers:
    Not at all. Weren't you reading? Wikipedia links are nofollow.

CountryBoy, Jul 22, 2007 IP