1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

best approach to viral marketing re:milliondollarhomepage.com

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by heapseo, Oct 21, 2005.

The success of milliondollarhomepage is down to a few simple factors. Simplicity, ingenuity/originality and word of mouth.

On the back of this, I pose the following - If you had an idea that met each of the main points listed, how would you go about getting it off the ground? How would you aim to gain similarly massive levels of exposure? What are the initial steps you would take in the hope that your idea would spiral into the levels of silliness that milliondollarhomepage has?

Hopefully we will get some discussions that will inspire us to succeed as the guy has with his milliondollarhomepage.

heapseo, Oct 21, 2005 IP
    Nintendo likes this.
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    I think the first steps would be local media then spend $200 for a nice press release.

aaron_nimocks, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  3. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    local media as in newspapers? TV or anything beyond the papers would cost a lot I imagine. I know the milliondollar guy's break was with a press release that all the media people latched onto, I wonder if he just got lucky with a big news company and then the others followed suite, or if they all saw the potential at the same time, from the same press release...

heapseo, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  4. webbom

webbom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this guy got lucky although the idea have it's merits.

First, the idea is great, it's very original and I think its even funny. Funny because I really doubt that a pixel is worth $1, but this shows that things real value is what people are willing to pay for them.

From what I've read for something to become viral it needs to be good (like this idea) but also needs to have a medium to spread itself. Like for example friendster provides you with the means to send emails to your friends to let them know about their service.

So this guy got a great idea but it lacks something, a medium to spread itself. In this case he got lucky that the idea called the attention of the media. It also helps a lot the way the web works now. The news spread fast from blog to blog, and forum to forum , and if there's something that calls people attention it will spread fast.

I can really recommend you a book about this "The Tipping Point", it talks about the factors that take part on viral ideas.

webbom, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  5. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe copyright/patent certain aspects of the idea, if possible?

l234244, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  6. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    I think the press release is what made the site explode. First he made a press release, it got posted all over, then the idea was so 'crazy' that the blog world link-bombed him and then the media gave him a LOT of free advertising and to this day, he's still showing up in the media.

Nintendo, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  7. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice idea for a thread, I've been racking my brain lately trying to figure out something similar. I think originality is key, and relating to people on some level. This guy, whether he knew it or not, connected with just about every webmaster out there. Everyone would love to come up with an idea like that. I probably showed his site to about 10 people.

BTW, I just checked, this guy has now booked $450,000 in revenue! Impressive. I think his freshman year will be a very good one, indeed. He'll be a campus quasi-celebrity, getting laid left and right. Hopefully he does well with his good fortune (and talent). I'm envious.

Sharpseo, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  8. Brent

Brent Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep, something unique will take the cake anyday

Brent, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  9. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As far as viral marketing I would definitely aim to get a opt in list. Get as many as your visitors email addresses as possible. You can also use filesharing networks to market your idea. Get a press release so you can get the word out. And most importantly, keep posting here at Digital Point and asking questions.

tesla, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  10. italks

italks Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have seen many people here in india go for print advertising for their site and makes it big sucess.Now they have opted for Radio advertisements too.Since television ads are very costly.

italks, Oct 22, 2005 IP
  11. webbom

webbom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How can you use filesharing networks to market your idea?

webbom, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  12. WebbyMedia

WebbyMedia Member

Best Answers:
    It was just such a unique and simple idea. You didn't have to be a webmaster to understand it or appreciate the story behind it (college guy sells ad space to reach millionaire status).

WebbyMedia, Oct 23, 2005 IP
  13. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    tesla, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  14. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Peon

Best Answers:
    My thoughts on promoting a unique idea.

1. Press release through places like www.prweb.com.

2. Add a viral marketing component where people who refer others make a commission or get a benefit from referring. I am using this technique for my Free Traffic Bar at http://www.freetrafficbar.com where my members are now bringing me most of my new members, not my own marketing.

3. Get people talking. Send a notice to some influencial bloggers or media people who reach lots of people.

ebusinesstutor, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  15. buckabyte

buckabyte Guest

Best Answers:
    My hat goes off to Alex Tew, he certainly found a unique idea to sell ad space. I actually took his idea one step further... selling ad space by the BYTE! There are so many "pixel pushers" out there now that I needed to put a spin on the pixel advertising concept. Check out www.buckabyte.com

buckabyte, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  16. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I just got a small question regarding his website, did he create the script...or did he just buy it?

sixty6, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  17. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    He created... he was the one that came up with the whole idea originally. That's why he is the only one that is going to make anywhere remotely close to $1M doing it. He was the one with the idea and first to market.

digitalpoint, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  18. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmm...well what about something that ads on to that idea, but better advertises...like people visit his website and such, but he displays his ads ONLY on his website

Maybe there could be a script which advertises pixels to others! Like an AdSense program for Advertisers :)

sixty6, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  19. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    I am highly surprised the way ALex has been treated by DP member here :) There has been already many threads(and backlinks :p) devoted to him in DP and people acts(inexpereinced{?}) like he has done something which has been either never done or very hard to achieve.

Ofcourse it was a very nice and unique idea and he got what he deserved. But I still feels that instead of trying to follow him you better learn from so many senior member here (too many to mention there names) to work hard and than make good consistent money, and also from Shawn who regularly comes up with neat ideas. It's just that those ideas never made him million dollars but than nobody can be sure how much a idea can make you ? :) Maybe tomorrow Shawn can be a millionarre or Nintendo or fryman.

What I am trying to say is even for making few thousands dollars you need to come up with innovative ideas like so many of DP seniors have done.

poseidon, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  20. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    But ya One Good thing that Alex has done is that he has made people think of something new and unique if you want make some Good money from internet.

poseidon, Jan 6, 2006 IP