1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing titles triggers filter?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mvhs, Jul 19, 2007.

I recently changed about a thousand page's titles, and i noticed my homepage got knocked back for a lot of keywords. Could the title change have triggered this drop in rankings? The inner content page's titles were changed, not homepage. Also on about 50 pages, the titles were changed from retro friendster layouts to "retro friendster layouts friendster layouts" on accident, i'm afraid this may have triggered a "spam" filter. Should I change it back or leave it as is? I'm also paranoid that this may have more negative effects. I haven't been cached in 7 days, which worries me, since other sites have been cached.

mvhs, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  2. eqozonline

eqozonline Banned

Best Answers:
    Every change on your site will effect your SERP's either in a positive way or a negative way . If your homepage got knocked back for a lot of keywords that's might be because of your competitors are working well your link building scheme isn't good as your competitors have made there . The best practice with titles is used to one that looks real & natural .

Hope that answer's the question

eqozonline, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  3. SEMSpot

SEMSpot Peon

Best Answers:
    I would change the title to Retro Friendster Layouts on those 50 pages because the current title your using is a form of keyword stuffing. This could have triggered a filter to devalue your website due to the spammy title. Also have you noticed any changes to your competition's websites? Has there backlink count increased? If you would like, send me your link and I will take a look at it and see what I can help you with.

SEMSpot, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  4. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have the same title for all 50 pages? You should use unique titles whenever possible

oseymour, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  5. Manish Pandey

Manish Pandey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have 50 pages with similar page titles?

Well use unique titles for every page. If those pages are the sub pages then use page 2, page 3....and so on in the title!

Does that make sense!

Cheers!

Manish Pandey, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  6. educ8it

educ8it Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to think of your website in a hierarchical way.

If you have changed the titles on sub-pages, then the way they will be indexed may change because their content appears to change to Google.

When these pages are re-indexed, their keywords may not relate to your homepage in the same way as before - this is a possible reason for your drop in rankings.

Each indexed sub-page can help or hinder your homepage.

AR

educ8it, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  7. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    title is one of the important tags for google seo . changing title will of course effect your rankings

trichnosis, Jul 20, 2007 IP