1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google seems to be dancing

Discussion in 'Google' started by SERPalert, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way I found out why a lot of my sites had a lot more backlinks than I thought. I had a bug on a page that was showing links for closed menus. It seems like they were getting crawled.

Although it does show me that sitewides don't seem to be that dimished. These were intended as homepage only links and ended up as sitewides and counted as 1000 plus links in some cases.

I did fix the problem this evening, so I am interested to see if I get kicked in the teeth for it.

aeiouy, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  2. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I am seeing some odd PR problems, posted it here:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=380991#post380991

And to update this post, in this thread:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=380952&postcount=740
    I do think I am seeing some of the sites I link out to ranking where I should for terms I target...

But the good news is that the keyword tracker is showing me on the climb today for most kw phrases. :) Still not where I was, but any improvement is a good sign right now. Some non-competitives are ranking better too.

NetMidWest, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  3. harris2004

harris2004 Peon

Best Answers:
    my site's pagerank got updated just a few hours ago, sub pages got pr but main page didnt change...so google is dancing for sure..

harris2004, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Sitewide links still boost your link count, they simply do not appear to boost your link weight.

Will.Spencer, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  5. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    I hate to shoot this down in flames but one of the major competitors of mine seems to have a large percentage of their google links from purchased footer links on completely unrelated sites. As far as I can tell they've profited from the recent the recent update. Rat bastages that they are :D

mnemtsas, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  6. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah and I thought about it after what I said and what happened supports that fairly well.

Many of those sites ended up with more links than other sites because of the mistaken sitewide, but they ended up with lower pr.

Although I am sure there are graduating factors and more sitewides from multiple sites might have played out differently.

But a single sitewide with a lot of links doesn't seem to provide a lot of benefit... Although all my sites are relatively low PR still so not conclusive.

aeiouy, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  7. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm convinced older sites are having a hard time of gaining pr. My main site has remained a pr5 since the pr thang came about. Buying and submitting hundreds of free links some pr 8's, 7's and more had not budged it. Yet sites of mine that have barely any backlinks score a pr4 or 5 the first update! WTF is up with that? I realise there is a reasonable explanation, but it's still hard to digest.

GRIM, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  8. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    if thats the case im not going to pay for links anymore...

bloodwrath, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  9. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    well me, i dont got a PR update and it sucks coz i been link building in the past 3 months.. linking to reputable and high pr sites.. but i guess it all goes down to number of links index by google... well its just my guess guys... correct me if im wrong

boohlick, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yikes! Did you go to school in Arkansas? :eek:

:eek: where do we begin?

minstrel, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  11. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    well its just my guess...

boohlick, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  12. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This update totally killed my site, I am even dropped from the index. This is terrible..

dzcap, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  13. themetalpeddler

themetalpeddler Peon

Best Answers:
    well I see a couple of KW creeping back in today. Nothing too grand yet - very non-competitive words hovering around #40. But it's improvement so just waiting for the others to come back now.

themetalpeddler, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  14. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Just checking in...

My positions have been "fairly" stable (in the 700s) for a couple of days now.

I have seen times where as many as 8 datacenters show the page in the 400s but then they flop back to 700s.

I still firmly believe the page/site will bounce back to previous positioning, once Google has resolved it's "issues".

IMHO
    Caryl

mcdar, Oct 21, 2005 IP
    gford likes this.
  15. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    Caryl, do you believe G is having issues (please say so), or do you reckon this is what the results of phase 1 of the update were meant to be?

I really hope G is having unexpected issues as my sites have been f'd up majorly by it too. [also I reckon they were hit at the very early days of the update, before it was even mentioned here]

Would you contact G through the means that Matt Cutts suggested (reinclusion request), or just sit tight and wait out for the next couple of weeks (for the remaining 2 Jaggers)?

And no, I don't have scraper sites, just full home grown original content sites :) No black hat tricks that I know of.

Lucky Bastard, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  16. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a large chunk of words return today, but down in the page 3-4 range instead of page 1-2 range.

I am still down 50% of my words approximately.

gford, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  17. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Lucky,

I DID say so!
    My site is IN the index - returned in the results somewhere in the 700s!

The request is for re-inclusion in the index not for "please put me back where I use to be in the results" ;)

-just fun'in with you.

No, I have stated previously that I believe the current Google Event is more problematic than programatic. I have seen this too many times before to think differently about it.

As before, I will hold off doing ANYTHING until "the fat lady sings". As I , like many others, am losing $$$ right now, I sure hope this "Event" is at least past halftime.

SEO is a lot like playing Poker. All players have to make the best at what is dealt them. The good players know when to "hold 'em" and when to "fold 'em" :D

Lets see - how many other analogies can I fit into one post...:rolleyes:

....have I mentioned the one about "waiting to see if the house falls in Kansas or in Oz, Dorothy"? :p

HOLD TIGHT is my advise.
    Caryl

mcdar, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  18. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have been monitoring my allins for my phrases, and they have been slowly rising after being dumped when the update started. It looks like my rankings are fairly consistent with my allinanchor: searches, and have been increasing proportionally to the increases in the allinanchors.

Hopefully the theory of google loosing a bunch of data will pan out. On that topic, these recent observations would suggest that google is rebuilding what was lost, as I haven't changed anything or acquired any new links since this whole thing started.

jestep, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  19. baseballcube

baseballcube Peon

Best Answers:
    My SERPs dropped from top ten to either off the map or 700s and so
    I contacted Google about whether my site had a penalty.

I got a response back from them today saying that no, I didn't have a penalty and my site is a PR 6 with really obscure baseball players listed and indexed. And when I do a search on these players, I either don't come out at all or I am in the 700 club.

It doesn't hurt to contact Google to see if you have a penalty. I am looking forward to Google Update #2 because it can't get any worse for me so might as well embrace it.

baseballcube, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  20. baseballcube

baseballcube Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see how this could be. If my pages actually exist in the index but are just ranked lower, I believe this has to do with an algorithm issue.

baseballcube, Oct 21, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.