1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rand Fishkin upsets directory owners?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by BFTUK, Jul 20, 2007.

BFTUK, Jul 20, 2007 IP
    jhnrang and Vic_mackey like this.
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    whatever....

to each his own

an0n, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Depends how you look at it.

Rand is correct. A lot of directories have no value, especially from an SEO perspective.

The trick is gleaning the gold from the garbage :)

silencer, Jul 20, 2007 IP
    WhatiFind likes this.
  4. BFTUK

BFTUK Banned

Best Answers:
    He is of course particulary targetting paid directory owners (mainly)..

BFTUK, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  5. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am not a Premium member there --so can't read the full review.
    But IMHO - out of thousands of directories out there on the WWW Jungle -
    only a handful stand out ( my directories are not among those select few as yet:() --.

I have posted much the same on my blog - Relevancy of Web Directories

jhnrang, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  6. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    he is very upset since I targeted him very much here and I had some valid points against page strength!

We should do some thing to keep the pagestrength out!

Freewebspace, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  7. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The tool had potential, as the factors/criteria when taken together are a good measure of a pages strength.

However, The lack of accuracy of the tool should be enough for anyone not to use it.

It's about as useful as a pagerank prediction. It's a gimmick. I don't think that on any 2 different visits I have been able to produce the same result for a single URL yet. A fluctuation been 3.5 and 7 for one page, on multiple different visits, to my way of thinking, isn't a useful way of ranking the strength of a page - no matter how much potential the tool purports to have.

silencer, Jul 20, 2007 IP
    jhnrang and popotalk like this.
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Rand Fishkin is partly right you know and its not about anger ramanean its his opinion. Its true that a lot of directories are worthless with no valid content nor end user information and owners spend little time adding informative sites instead. You can read some of it in my blog feed and hope to meet Matt Cutts too personally in August.

:)

popotalk, Jul 20, 2007 IP
    silencer likes this.
  9. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some points are worthy of notice, but he forgot to mention that the aviva list is based on his PS.

kiviniar, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  10. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He upsets QBC's but not me for sure.

aspidov, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    :eek: Maan -- when you meet Matt Cutts -- please recommend my directory to him and convery my request to review my directory personally.:p

Hopefully, pages like this on my directory ( Cricket ) will impress him and make my directory an Authority by first half of 2008:p

Now -- if you excuse me - I must hurry up and fill up all my categories as quickly as possible before your meeting with him in August. I'll need to quickly get a true professional design too.

jhnrang, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  12. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    But is opinion is very much biased I think so!

As the web is expanding ... Search Engines need directories to help a site to index very quickly!

He has not mentioned it there ,he talks only about PR of Directories! and not about the quality of the links that a directory has! and the information that a directory renders to visitors and Search Engines!

13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL ramanean. Its like in your post your being biased. Like I said its his website. Whether he says he eats steak everyday while he is vegetarian we cant do anything. :D

@JohnRang
    Hurry ! Hurry ! Before I submit my list. :D

14. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    I am saying only about him and not about his website and at the end of the day

he can do any thing he likes! as it is his website!

15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok. Let me explain you this part. Look up some directories of your choice in the Top 50 Genre and let me know what QUALITY Listings do they have at Reference, Kids and Teens, News and Media, Education. Then try to go Business, Internet, Shopping. Do you think that that is a BALANCED Quality Links that a directory has ?

What KIND of INFORMATION would some directories would offer when there are NON. I tell you if I need to read NEWS I will watch it live on TV or Newspaper or CNN online. There is nothing relevant for news feeds in there. People go to directories to find websites or list them but not read news.

16. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    he was doing alright until he got to the few points on why directories are not valuable:

- admits anyone (utter rubbish, do any of you guys admit anyone who pays? nonsense)
    - general subject (so what? that is why there are categories in order for relevant links to be grouped together coupled with articles and descriptions. Doesn't mean that a general directory cannot provide quality relevant backlinks.)
    - Few relevant inlinks (another rubbish. ever seen directories' links on business sites, webmastering sites, etc? these all provide EXTREMELY relevant inlinks to websites submitting to these directories)
    - Not trusted domain (yah, and he didn't even bother to backup his argument for this one. So i suppose ONLY dmoz is a trusted domain? geez)

Pardon my obvious disdain. Just cannot stand the fact abt those who try to speak as though they know alot and misleading others. Then he tries to protect himself by saying that not all directories are useless when all the points he made attack all directories. Have some guts and say what you truly mean rather than playing it safe to include such a useless disclaimer :mad:

jl255, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  17. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    The primary reason I would say the article is complete rubbish is,,

Directories are search tools,

They do not exist to provide Google ranking factors only

With time, and an understanding of the historical purpose of directories , which have been around since humans started doing business with writing materials, we will remin the search engines and the SEO pretenders what we are really about.

Then again, those of you who believe that link power is all a directory has to offer will probably take this pile off Kak seriously

Now I'm off to give something i haven't done b4

centime, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  18. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its interesting how people who spend all their time marketing, sometimes focus on a negative to create interest, and on other occasions focus on a positive or maybe an obtuse factor all to create buzz around their marketing techniques

Each to their own but all folks who fire flak around need to remember

"People Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones"
    (don't criticize other people when you yourself have faults and weaknesses.)

:)

PS I never bothered to read the link, as I assumed whether correctly or incorrectly that the content would not be worth opening the link to view :cool:

britishguy, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  19. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is all I read and I fully agree with it.

Just like a local newscast that is what brings in the viewers and the main reason I don't read newspapers or watch TV news anymore.

jg123, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  20. BFTUK

BFTUK Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm with you on this one, i get loads of submissions from people who do not meet the submission guidelines of my directory hence have their link refused and payment returned.

I do agree with Rand that there are certain directories out there who are in it solely to make some $'s and not give value, however i think he needed to emphasise that point and explain ways that people can check or measure the quality of directories for themselves.

BFTUK, Jul 20, 2007 IP