1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directories are dead

Discussion in 'Directories' started by uniqueasitis, Jul 18, 2007.

1. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    NO. I will pay you $10,000 if you agree to put my website which is about Home Business on the first page with ONLY directory submissions with the keywords "Internet Home Business." Ready?

uniqueasitis, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  2. fruitllama

fruitllama Peon

Best Answers:
    I think both directories and social bookmarking sites have the same end goal, and that's organic traffic. Nothing beats organic traffic for a sucessful site long term.

fruitllama, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  3. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand that:

A. You do support article directories
    B. You do NOT support web directories

Explain why one is better than the other. You stated that directories are dead...seems that you could support that statement. You know...I think your right. Maybe I'll give my directory away and start an original, never tried before and incredibly original concept...like a site about home based business:)

tmeyer45458, Jul 19, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.
  4. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    One more thing overdrive. The phrase "consumer electronics online" is searched my only 62 people per month as per overture. How then can you say that it is a feat to get listed in the top?

5. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    I support article directories because of the traffic. That is why I only support the likes of Ezine and Buzz. And there was a time when an Ezine article could hit the top ten of google, though not anymore. By getting any ezine article at the top of google you stand a very good chance of having people visit your ezine article and then click on the link you leave below.

I have had 400 unique visitors from ezine in one month. And I could have had more but my subject was depression.

6. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    You see the thing is, do you not agree that

1. Links in directories are not natural?
    2. Google and other search engines know that these links are not natural?

Now what makes anyone believe that goolge recommends using directories for SEO? If they did then it would be a contradiction to their backlink policy which is that they only count natural links. Wouldn't it?

7. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    thats crazy, I think I get about 400 people come to my site each week with that term, wow, thanks overture for showing the truth. Anyway that is not my main keyword term anyway, most are product specific. I just wanted to ask that you say that you were trying to provide some insight into why they do not work, but you have really not provided any statistical information in regards to your research. I like it when people mix it up and show why things are changing, its the internet, things change all the time, but you have to show evidence, not just say based on my research. You didn't say that I had to market your website, I would think that you can do that because you obviously know how to do it all free according to your blog! Anyway, how old is your blog? I just showed you evidence from Google that directory submission does work, but yet you cannot give me any evidence that it does not!

overdrive, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, I can see the lightbulb blinking above uniqueasitis's head already.

jg123, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  9. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    First I have not used by blog as evidence.
    Second, if you did not get to the top for that keyword by directories but by marketing why did you use it as proof here?
    Third, why should I show you evidence if you try to run me in circles by providing information such as your website showing up in the top for a keyword and then you say the products are keyword specific. Is I who mix up information?

10. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your insult. Yes my idea is not original but niether is yours. Not to mention your Bluehost affilaite review. Try reviewing something that is not affiliated with something and pays you hefty cash.

11. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey buddy, did you ever think that I might have submitted links in directories (deep link that is) with anchor text that deals with specific products. Thats a marvel concept isn't it. Submit links to your biggest selling products with the anchor text the same as the product name. I did get to the top for that keyword using directories. I do a lot of directory submissions and I mix up the pages and anchor text all the time. People do not always go to a product page when they enter the site from the engines, they sometimes search on generic topics like "online electronics store" and there my site is!! I never said that I marketed the products, did I, I just said that it is not my main keyword in regards to you only trusting overture with the amount of searches. I didn't say you were using your blog as evidence that directories do not work, I only said that you must know how to get traffic to your site without the help of directories and the serps because of your blog topics, thats all!

12. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My post was not meant as an insult but as a reply to what tmeyer45458 said.

When you come back here with some proof and a little more experience under-your-belt I think you might be given a little more respect.

jg123, Jul 19, 2007 IP
    overdrive likes this.
  13. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok people I have pretty much ended this discussion. The only thing people here know is how to insult another person. I guess you really can't argue with directory owners because their business is at stake.

The reason I posted in this section was because I thought those other than directory owners come here for information but I can see this area is laden with directory owners who just love to ridicule me because I think differently.

Have fun with your directories and keep people believing that directories get you good backlinks. What do I have to lose anyway.

No I will not be coming back to this section because I have spent time with directories. I did not start this thread for attention or for advertising my website. I just made a statement which did not go well with directory owners. I never even thought people would view it. But I guess the insults about getting attention show the mind frame of the people here. You assumed I did something for a reason which was never there just like you assume that directories get you quality backlinks.

As I have said. I would love to be proven wrong. And I hope I am. Because I would love to sit and submit to all the available directories on the Internet. Only if it were that simple. Good things in life are NEVER that simple. Well have fun!

Candio likes this.
  14. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank goodness. Have a good one though and thanks for the nice debate, but remember, I did show you proof of what directory submission can do and you provided nothing to prove me wrong. You cannot come into these forums trying to prove a point without proof and not just saying "based on my research"! It just doesn't work. Most people here are seasoned professionals that live and work on the internet. They know their stuff. If you can come back with some reputable evidence that directory submissions do not work, then that would be great, but until then try and not to argue points that have no validity!

jg123 likes this.
  15. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    In response to that "Thank you" for the insult - LOOK ABOVE. You posted this baseless assertion in the directories forum [of all places]. Visited often by people who have spent hours planning, designing, promoting, and "growing" what you claim to be dead. Not to mention a $hit ton of cash being spent on all or some of the above mentioned activities. For what? How can you expect not to be insulted when you start a thread minimizing months of hard work with a single post that has absolutely no substance or proof.

BTW: Feel free to submit your homebased business site to my directory:) For you...it will be only 19.96:)

tmeyer45458, Jul 19, 2007 IP
    overdrive likes this.
  16. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    This thread of yours is motivated by these issues you are having.

mistermix, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  17. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    But he also thinks article marketing is dead http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=400154
    so it must mean to him everything is dead that pertains to directories

jminscoe, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  18. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It seems he does not like the DP Admin's http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=3829853&postcount=15

and yet more complaints against DP Mod's http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=3829574&postcount=44

Those are your own words and I would add that maybe you should try and be a little more open-minded and not so aggressively negative. Next time you start a controversial thread at least put in a little time and effort into researching the topic so you can substantiate your claims.

jg123, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  19. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    I knew it was a matter of time before the dirt came out!

overdrive, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  20. ezimedia

ezimedia Peon

Best Answers:
    HI

Because we submit our websites to directories we are cheats LOL then what do you call webmasters
    that submit their sites to the Yahoo Directory for a Cost of $299 per year, and a listing is not
    guaranteed. Is Yahoo a cheat to. and what about Business.com

1. Links in directories are not natural? ( Then why has the Yahoo directory been around for years )
    2. Google and other search engines know that these links are not natural? ( Did they tell you that )

The advantage of submitting a paid listing to a good directory is that your website will get spidered
    a lot more then if you did not have that listing. This is very much true for brand new sites.

Also any webmaster that only does directory submissions as their only marketing effort is setting them self
    up for failure, like everything directory submission is only a small part of the seo puzzle.

Thanks
    Tom Dahne

ezimedia, Jul 20, 2007 IP