1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wanna Be a Professional Blogger? Listen Live July 18th and Find Out How!!!

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by jhmattern, Jul 13, 2007.

On my next segment of Chick Tech Talk on BlogTalkRadio, I'll be chatting with Executive Editor of Creative Weblogging, Tammy Powley, about professional blogging.

Tammy and I will be discussing everything from earning a decent income from your own blogs to getting a gig with a blogging network. Right now, I'm earning a few thousand per month from my blogs as a part-time side project (basically "hobby sites"), but I don't consider myself a professional blogger. I will, however, talk a bit about how I recently took my primary blog from earning just a few hundred per month to a little more than $2000, and plans for improving monetization on my other blogs from what I've learned along the way. Tammy handles some of the recruitment for the Creative Weblogging network, and will be addressing issues regarding professional blogging networks like CW.

Interested? Tune in live on Wednesday, July 18th at 6pm Eastern time at www.blogtalkradio.com/chicktech

If you have questions, you can call in during the show or contact me at that time via AIM at ChickTechTalk. You can also post your questions here, and I'll take note and add them to our discussion list prior to the show. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Jul 13, 2007 IP
    FFMG likes this.
  2. sat123

sat123 Banned

Best Answers:
    ready to post it free in my PR4 blog....

But u need to write.....PM...

sat123, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can feel free to use the text from my original post here if you want to announce the show. It's the same that I used in my own blogs. Anything else will be in a press release I'm hoping to put out tomorrow.

jhmattern, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  4. LilyUK

LilyUK Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jenn
    Will the program be available for download afterwards? I think I'll be working whilst you're on air :-(

I have a question - perhaps not specifically for your show but I'm really really curious...How on earth do you organise yourself with this many sites? I am genuinely intrigued. I'm someone who has a huge amount of ideas and passions that I want to put into practice on the web but I find myself getting quite overwhelmed at times so I keep dropping one in favour of the other!

Right now I'm writing a book, running a blog, writing an album and have one other major site that I want to set up which I think would do pretty well in it's niche. This is way less than you seem to have - seriously - are you just super organised or do you delegate???

I'm always fascinated to come across people like myself who seem to have many interests and projects but unlike me seem to manage a huge workload all at once!

LilyUK, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  5. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Great stuff Jenn!

I'll be listening, even though I suspect it'll be past midnight here when it's on.

Drop me a PM with some information about the show, and I will blog about it.

Darren

DarrenC, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Lily, Yes, the segments are all archived afterwards. :)

lol Don't remind me of how much I have going on. ;) No, I don't delegate well. I hate trusting people to do anything for me, because I'm not easy to please when it comes to my work. I actually just stocked up on planners, notebooks, etc. (I do my planning by hand instead of electronically, b/c for whatever reason it's harder to ignore, so I actually stick to things I lay out. For example, I've been blogging all day today, lining up posts for several of my blogs throughout the week. It's hard to get into the mindframe sometimes, so I let things slack from time to time (which is why I'm reorganizing). But the key is really just to sit down and do what you need to do, and block out everything else. When I do that I can keep working all day and all night without stopping. Once I let myself get distracted, I could end up wasting an entire day hating what I'm supposed to be doing. It's tough. I'm sure there are people doing a lot more than I am though. :)

Darren, I'm PM you a link to the press release or something when it's up (tomorrow).

jhmattern, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  7. GnomeyNewt

GnomeyNewt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to tune in, if not will catch the archive for sure.

GnomeyNewt, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  8. LilyUK

LilyUK Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jenn
    Good to know it'll be archived - I'd like to have a listen.
    Thanks so much for replying to my curiosity and sharing how you get things done. *laughs* I don't delegate either and I think it is harder with creative things such as these because their very nature is often intensely personal! I've decided to try a new approach with myself. Previously I would always try and get the whole idea in my head of the website/the music/the book and work backwards from there. By the time I'd done that, I'd often run out of motivation or been simply overwhelmed by the enormous mountain to climb. Now I'm trying to let the end result remain fluid and take one step at a time, writing down the next step (however small) for the following day. That seems to work a lot better. I've always been a contrary person!

Oh and there's another article idea...must write that down :)

Lily

LilyUK, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  9. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    This is awesome! Although I have been blogging for a while, it is always nice to hear the insights of other professionals!

KeywordsandCopy, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  10. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    jhmattern, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  11. ajitjc

ajitjc Banned

Best Answers:
    Actually I didn't get too much.But I have an interest to know more about it.

ajitjc, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Do you mean that you don't get what the show will be about? Here are the basics:

We'll be talking about two types of professional blogging:

1. Running and monetizing your own blogs.
    2. Blogging for blog networks.

We'll both be chatting about our own blogs, and how you can choose a blog niche, create content that earns well, and different ways you can monetize blogs. We'll also touch on as much about blog marketing and promotion as we can given the time constraints.

I'll also be chatting with Tammy about blog networks (she's an Executive Editor for the Creative-Weblogging.com network, dealing with some of their recruiting of bloggers). We'll talk about the C-W network specifically, and some tips on getting a gig with blog networks (what they look for, what kind of experience you'd need, etc.), and how realistic it is to make at least a decent income blogging for a network over time compared to running your own blogs.

I hope that clears it up a little bit. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The show will be starting in about 2 hours from now. You'll be able to tune in at www.BlogTalkRadio.com/chicktech at 6pm Eastern. The number to call in with questions is at that page, or you can reach me during the show on AIM at ChickTechTalk.

If you would like to ask any questions prior to the show, please post them here, and I'll work in what we can during the live show. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  14. FFMG

FFMG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very interesting show indeed. I will listen to the other half later today, (I had to do some other stuff).
    Just a shame you don't like free web hosts :)

I have been blogging, (semi professionally), for a while now but I still learned a few things.

FFMG

FFMG, Jul 18, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    lol Can't stand them. ... I'm actually just hoping the show recorded well for the archive. I haven't listened to it yet. lol

jhmattern, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  16. FFMG

FFMG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problems here, just listened to it now and all sounds fine.

FFMG

FFMG, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  17. LilyUK

LilyUK Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jenn
    That was a very interesting show - just listened this evening whilst I had my dinner. Lots of very useful information on there. Thankyou!

LilyUK, Jul 19, 2007 IP