1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making a living online?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by uniqueasitis, Jul 17, 2007.

Is it possible to make a living online without an offline job? Or is just one bix hoax?

uniqueasitis, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  2. nmx

nmx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse it is, it's possible online to have a greater standard of living than the average person too, and to become a millionaire.. The only question is, how do you do it? Ofcourse it's not possible to make a living online (currently) for everyone, but those who know how, work hard and innovate can do it, yes.

nmx, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  3. OIOplus

OIOplus Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing that gets me is how so many people (who don't much use the internet) will look at online projects or work as "not real" or less worthy in some way. The online world is the future for mass consumerism and networking, so I think those who have been quick on the uptake have set themselves up very well for the future.

OIOplus, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  4. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I would say it is very feasible. I think it takes a while to build up though as any business does. Much like a brick and mortar company (the companiesy ou drive by on a daily basis in your local town)... location and marketing is everything. If no one knows about you, you will not succeed. As well, you need to have something legitimate to offer. Companies that have no real focus or solutions to offer will never work either.

PHPGator, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  5. jameserase

jameserase Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey,

It is possible, don't expect it to happen overnight, or even within years. But start building a quality site now and stick with it and in a couple months you will start seeing some payoffs, in a couple years that could represent a significant portion of your income.

Best of luck!

jameserase, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  6. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's something I don't see on boards--the truth.

I've been doing business online for 14 years. In that time, I've never worked for anyone else. So, yes it's possible.

But, and here's the big BUT, I'm a born and bred entrepreneur.

MANY people will be better off in life if they forget business and work on their career. That's the truth.

None of us know you personally, so only you can answer the question of what you should be doing with your life.

Most people, many on this forum, will "dabble" with business (online or otherwise) for days, weeks, months and years and never make anything substantial. Some will do fairly well. A smaller group will do very well.

While we all want to be in that smaller group, many of us don't really have what it takes.

My advice to people is always the same.

1. Get educated.

2. Get a good job with potential.

3. Experiment in the business world.

If business isn't your thing, you can always fall back and pursue a great career. And if it is, you can work your way out of your career.

And here are two last truths:

1. Just because your smart doesn't mean you'll do well.

2. Just because you work hard (or really want it) doesn't mean you do well either.

marketjunction, Jul 17, 2007 IP
    LennyP likes this.
  7. gnarlysurfer

gnarlysurfer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    marketjunction, absolutely spot on advice, you are either born to run your own business or not. I worked for a big firm for 5 years, right deciscion at the time but I'm much happier running my own businesses.

gnarlysurfer, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  8. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To answer your question i say this

I'm23 i never had a job in my life i own a 32k car and living on my own :)

w3bmaster, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  9. denniss

denniss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that online business is the only place to make money very fast with no specialized education or prior experience really required.

Example: a friend of mine opened a video game news site 7 years ago... I used to help him out for a while, but then quitted that biz to refocus on online gambling industry (which was a stupid but honest mistake -- no one could forsee Dubia closing down gambling for good a few yeas back) ...

Anyway, the moral of the story is that last I spoke to him he just turned down a 3 million dollar cash offer for his site as he believes it's worth much more nowadays.

So in 7 years, from 0 to 3 million $ worth, with 0 funding (he actually quit his offline job to work on this and ate bread and water for a while), and that's not counting the money that he gets every month running it (15-20k)... Sorry, can't say which site it is as he'll kill me, but the knowledgeable people might know:)

denniss, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  10. uniqueasitis

uniqueasitis Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your moral support. You have rekindled the fire inside me which was apparently dying. As with most losers, I tend to give up very quickly. Something I need to change if I want to succeed whether it be online or offline. It is good to know that DP has such a supportive community.

uniqueasitis, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  11. Avery001

Avery001 Banned

Best Answers:
    It is possible,everything is possible,if you want to make a living online,build a site,sell some stuff,etc for example,that will not be very difficult for you,the point is that you should be young enough to know the basic knowledge and put your heart to that business.then you can achive success.you should not focus on money,or just run the business for a living,that will make you very hard to survive,you should learn to enjoy your online business,to make a great long term plan for your business.

Avery001, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  12. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    It is as easy and difficult as an off line business. The issue is that most people think that it is easy money and it can be done with no effort.

I do offline consultancy work in addition to my role in Astaroth Solutions but then we are a new business and we cannot justify a full time qualified project/ strategy manager.

Like any own business, the first few years will be low income and long long hours but this is necessary to form a strong basis for the company.

AstarothSolutions, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  13. timiepn

timiepn Peon

Best Answers:
    I have come across many successful people running websites and earning lots of money over the past 12 years.

Education such as university is not the key. I have found most of the people I know that are earning loads out of their online businesses did not get an education past high school. They all however have one thing in common as marketjunction said above they are a born and bred entrepreneur.

If you don't constantly think "business" chances are you will not be the one to make it.

That is just my opinion and an observation I have made.

1. Do try and try and try and try and try - some day, some idea will work!

2. Read everything that is related to what you are doing.

3. Look at the top ten people in your field mimic their strengths and capitalize on their weakness. Often they are the best because they simply work.

4. Talk to people about your ideas don't keep them secret. I know this sounds weird, giving people your million dollar idea, but they often will blurt out information and new ideas you would never have thought of. My sister did this once and her idea earned me quite a lot of money.

5. Most importantly, surround yourself with like minded business savvy people. You will end up helping each other. Such as people on this forum.

A good friend and myself have a bit of a laugh at the fact we both got kicked out of school and now we both have several very well established profitable businesses online. Geez the way life turns out!

timiepn, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  14. Oregon Coast Lover

Oregon Coast Lover Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely possible. It's a real job just like an offline one and takes as much work (if not more). Follow your passion. Decide to base your online business around something you truly love. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, hearing or seeing, think to yourself, "how can this benefit my business?" Get in the habit of that and it will become second nature soon. If you just chase the money, you'll get bored and burn out. It has to be enjoyable, otherwise, why do it?

Oregon Coast Lover, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  15. Unkn0wnPlayer

Unkn0wnPlayer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been doing it for a year and a half now. It's possible!

Unkn0wnPlayer, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  16. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, it depends how good you're at it however.

I solely make a living online (well I'm a student too:p) and it pays for a pretty comfortable living. However, offline jobs are more stable.

8everything, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  17. mridout196

mridout196 Banned

Best Answers:
    Just do your research, I invested a lot of money into online business and for a good 18 months saw very little back. Only after learning about the strategies of online business will you succeed.

mridout196, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  18. add_cents

add_cents Peon

Best Answers:
    Just don't assume that it's an easy thing to make money on the internet. You'll be better off if you didn't think that way.

I have a friend that started her site the same time I did. She keeps asking why her site isn't doing as well as mine.

It's because I spend more hours a day building it up than she does.

add_cents, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  19. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a hoax!

Just give up, find a job that you hate, then work till you're 65. Then retire but realize you can't afford the health care you and your spouse need so you go back to work in another menial job you hate. Then you die.

The End.

GeorgeB., Jul 18, 2007 IP
  20. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its sure is possible. There are people in this forum doing just that.

qwestcommunications, Jul 18, 2007 IP