1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Extending left column

Discussion in 'CSS' started by sunster13, Jul 16, 2007.

Here's is a preview of the site:

http://www.sportsgfx.net/tests/css/usc/con/

What I needed was that the content box and blue bar on the left stretched when more content was added. This means I can't use a fixed height. The height was originally 900px for the content, and 880px for the blue bar. This should be the minimum, so I set the min-height for both divs.

The content box stretched perfectly, but the blue side panel doesn't seem to want to go past its min-height. I want it to go all the way to the bottom (the bottom margin and stuff can be changed after).

I set #bluenav to height: 100%, hoping it would go all the way down, but that doesn't work.

I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone help?

sunster13, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  2. daytona_k

daytona_k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    link is broken!

daytona_k, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  3. sunster13

sunster13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean? It loads for me.

sunster13, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  4. daytona_k

daytona_k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    doesn't load on my machine, and since there's no other user answering your questions, i presume they can't see it either :-/

daytona_k, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  5. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not broken.

I also suggest looking into faux columns for the background - you can find an article on the subject at www.alistapart.com

Dan Schulz, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  6. sunster13

sunster13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Too be honest I'd rather stay away from faux columns. Unless I don't quite understand something, I really don't want to be playing around with the background images and stuff.

sunster13, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  7. x-noise

x-noise Peon

Best Answers:
    just play with simple backgrounds. and then think of a little trick for the closing image (in the bottom). I could write you a complete simple solution, but i have no time. Faux columns should be avoided in my opinion. i never used them, and probably never will.

x-noise, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  8. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why are faux columns bad? I can understand if one has an elastic/liquid (argh I keep forgetting which is which) that uses ems for everything (except borders?).

They are the best solution if you don't want to rely on Javascript and don't want to rely on overflow:hidden + huge padding solutions (Positioniseverything had an article on that).

soulscratch, Jul 18, 2007 IP