1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do The Number of Banners Effect Earnings?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by Burta, Oct 19, 2005.

I was just wondering does the number of google banners or link units you have on a page effect your earnings? I have a feeling that I have read somewhere that the more you have the lower the earnings per click are, and I just wanted to make sure that this isn't the case or at least get a little more informed about what placing more banners on your does to your earnings. Thanks - any feedback would be great.

Burta, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  2. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    other publishers say it affects. But based on my experience, it didn't.

kawebspy, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  3. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on what your site is about.

Placing more ad units on a page increases the possibility of getting a click.

At the same time when more ads are present on the page, Google has no choice but to display lower paying ads too.

If you are getting 3-5 cent ads only...it would be better that you display all possible ad units . I get 30-40 cent ads regularly on my site...my earnings have increased after I reduced number of ad units from 3 to 1. This is coz Google now places only higher paying ads on my site.

I suggest you experiment and find the best solution.

sachin410, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  4. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always a good idea imho.

Having more ads on your page can lower earnings simply because visitors have the opportunity to click on the lower paying ones. The difference between the higher bids and the lower bids for a particular keyword can be substantial, so it really is a case of less is more. :)

T

Amsterdam, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  5. Freddy81

Freddy81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's time for the first post :)
    Well, let me tell my experience. I have a page and a single horizontal 4-units adsense block on its top. I have not made any changes for 4 months,
    and the average stats were:
    Avg. CPC = $0.71
    Avg. CTR = 3.3%

Then I put the same block at the bottom and waited another month. Results:
    Avg. CPC = $0.44
    Avg. CTR = 1.6%

Considering this, I suppose:
    1. Increasing the amount of ad units lowers overall page CTR;
    2. Increasing the amount of ad units brings cheaper ads;
    3. The ads, which are placed higher in HTML code contain more highly paid clicks, and the lower banner produces the trash (I even noticed $0.08 click..).

Freddy81, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  6. digitx

digitx Guest

Best Answers:
    The best way to use AdSense ( IMO ) is to provide two links at the top of the page.

If people find your site on Google and click through to your page, they may soon discover that the topic and content of the page are not quite what they were after, so the AdSense ads become the alternative.

Then people click on the Ads based on the chance that those sites will present a better match.

I think given what Amsterdam has said, that reducing the number of ads on your page allows the higher priced ads to appear exclusively.

We used to have AdSense on every page of our website ( www.hutchens.com.au ) and then we decided to take it off the home page. Initially, I thought we would lose earnings, but nothing happened at all.

It was bizzare. It made me think that people are only willing to click on ads on the internal pages after they have exhausted all available entertainment or usefullness on your website.

On the home page, people generally use the navigation to investigate more deeply, than leave straight away.

digitx, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  7. EngLee

EngLee Peon

Best Answers:
    Or would it depends on the topic of your site? If you think Adsense has lots of ads for your niche topic, then you can go for more banners.

EngLee, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  8. digitx

digitx Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah,

But the theory Amsterdam is proposing is that you will introduce more lower priced ads, so the chance of you earning less from each person increases.

I like the idea of topic related AdSense ads.

On the one hand, the higher ranking topics are harder to get visitors to , but pay more because of the level of competition.

If you rank really well for an obscure term, than visitors to your site will be presented with lower priced ads because of the lack of competition.

It has a natural balance.

digitx, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  9. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I'm test things now on my forums, I used to jsut ahve a 468 x 60 banner at the top - but I now have a 728 x 90 banner at the bottom after the final post in each thread. My forum is popular - like 1000+ visitors every day but my topic normally only yeilds clicks of around 7 - 10 cents on average, which from what you guys have been saying make me think that I should just go for more click throughs rather than trying to get the high value ones (which I don't think there really are many if any). I'll run it for 3 or 4 days and we'll see how it goes.

Burta, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  10. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Since google displays the ads based on their best revenue potential (this is a combination of price per click and clickthrough rate for a particular ad), adding more ads, can, potentially reduce revenue.

As others have mentioned it can open the opportunity for people to choose other ads. The question is does it increase the number of clicks to make it worthwhile. In some situations it does, and in others it does not.

aeiouy, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  11. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK well it has been a ten day trial and in all in all my earnings have increased but only marginally. It would appear that my CTR for my top 468x60 has increased by about 50% from what it was earlier in the month - which is unusual but with that it seems that a corresponding click value has resulted from the clicks essentially leaving me in exactly the same position in terms of revenue earnt from my top 468x60 banner. Now the addition of the 728x90 banner has unfortunately not been overly effective with a pretty average click through rate and medicore returns on earnings per click but all in all it did manage to increase my overall forum earnings by about 15% so I guess that it was a positive.

If you want to check my site out to seem what I mean then you can visit www.rsboards.com

Burta, Oct 30, 2005 IP