1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Don't rely on Google

Discussion in 'Google' started by Nokia999, Oct 20, 2005.

Yes i hate Google
    or you can say i don't rely on Google searches because its algorithm is not so much competent as of MSN.
    As Google has some history so ppl rely on it blindly.
    let me explain ...
    if you will search "odp.net" on Google it will return shamelessly.
    You may not know what is ODP.Net.
    it is actually Oracle Data Provider for .Net.
    But i want to concentrate you on Google Search Algo or Results.
    It will return no result.
    Same is the case with Abu-Garib Jail pictures.
    Why Google has such feudal repute?
    Why you ppl rely on Google?
    I rate Msn as Best of the Best :) .

Nokia999, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Google results may suck at some queries. But Google has traffic :) a top10 with Google brings 3000% more visitors than the same top1 at MSN. At least in the Netherlands.

Dirkjan, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  3. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    down yonder in amerikkah they spell it differently... try abu ghraib and you'll get plenty of results. i actually agree that msn are better for text search, but google are by far the best when you're searching for images.

monosodium, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Slag Google off as much as you like, it STILl brings in 2-3 times the traffic of any other search engine. Odd don't you think considering it has the same market share as Yahoo!

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    If you rank in #10 at Google you will get much more traffic than if you are ranked at #1 at MSN.

Google is the king... and I love it :D

hmmm... 4999 posts... I wonder where will I use up my 5,000 one...

fryman, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  6. monosodium

Best Answers:
    you mean same market share in terms of traffic? actually, i heard [undocumented anecdotal hearsay] that even though Y! and G get roughly the same amount of traffic, the bulk of internet traffic to yahoo! is for their portal content (such as mail etc.) so yahoo gets only about 10 percent as many search queries as google. [/hearsay]

sorry but i honestly can't remember where i saw that tit bit, i mean tid bit.

it makes sense though. [subjective guess] quite a few people who use yahoo for mail switch to google for search. [/guess]

7. monosodium

Best Answers:
    perhaps... but msn users tend to be less internet savvy, older, and far easier to sell stuff to than G users. :D

8. keral82

keral82 Banned

Best Answers:
    Google is too smart to make silly mistakes that people like you can sing on.

Why don't you search for good things on google it will help you both educationally and financially. Stop looking for holes in google and use whatever it has to offer. Otherwise you will just stay here and all the others will go with the flow. I only recieve 8 visitors from google since my site was launched. But i kept trying different tricks (SEO tricks) and at last I have some descent PR and some good traffic with google. I know that when google will deliver there is no stopping for it.

keral82, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    Nokia999 likes this.
  9. monosodium

Best Answers:
    unless of course you wake up one morning and your site is nowhere to be found in the SERPs.

Y! and msn may deliver less traffic, but they're far less capricious.

keral82 likes this.
  10. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't rely on Google?

Don't rely on any one search engine, or one incoming web link, or one affiliate program, or one product, or one text advertiser.

Don't rely on one source of revenue.

I would agree with monosodium when he says MSN users seem to be easier to sell to. :)
    This is our first month we've gotten more traffic from MSN than Y! and it shows in our commissions. Google has been third for a few months now. :eek:

Such Great Heights, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    keral82 likes this.
  11. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With about the same rankings at Msn and Google

Msn sends me more traffic then Google since 2months.

Arnie, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    keral82 likes this.
  12. monosodium

Best Answers:
    that's good solid advice. sometimes one forgets that. it's tempting to focus on google because the rewards can (supposedly) be huge if you fight your way to the top. and SEO is more fun than "real" sales work. you tinker with your site and hope for a a massive stream of traffic which will let you sit back and relax, picking and choosing your customers... of course, this get-rich-quick mentality is what people have when they buy lottery tickets. if there is one thing i regret it is spending too much time trading links and obsessing with SEO just to get higher rankings at Google.

13. keral82

keral82 Banned

Best Answers:
    If google is not as great as this nokia guy tell us. Then why is everyone mad about google. Why on digital point over here there are more viewers in google threads then yahoo or msn SE's threads.

keral82, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  14. calmriver

calmriver Peon

Best Answers:
    hi

is there any way i could find the msn rank for my site ?

calmriver, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  15. monosodium

Best Answers:
    no tool that i know of, but you could increase the displayed results to the maximum of 50 per page by clicking on "settings" to help you sift through it all

16. baseballcube

baseballcube Peon

Best Answers:
    You should work on backlinks to be able to grab traffic from other sites as opposed to focusing on Google. There is no chance that 250 different sites decide to drop your site whereas Google can impact your traffic in 1 second.

That is my new plan at least becuase I'm tired of counting on Google to get me traffic when I can make one link exchange and get 15 new people a day.

baseballcube, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  17. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Should be a picture :)

aeiouy, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  18. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:

Hehe, if you are #29 at google you'll get 10x as much traffic as a #1 at msn. And far more than a #1 at yahoo. It's crazy! =) Also, because google actually indexes pages. I'm tempted to block msn and yahoo crawler, simply because they crawl all day and never index. 977k on google, ~1200 on both msn and yahoo... that sucks.

nddb, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  19. themetalpeddler

themetalpeddler Peon

Best Answers:
    Many of us don't deliberately rely on Google - that's just where most of our customers come from. I'm #1 in MSN for many more KWs that in Google, but get much less traffic from them.
    Also, when customers place an order with us, we have a drop down box asking where they found us - I've seen one order in about 3 months from MSN, the rest of from Google and a small % from Yahoo.

Since my Google SERPs dropped from Page 1 into the basement somewhere, traffic is non-existant.
    I didn't SEO my site for Google alone, I just built it. All the #1 slots in the world on MSN and Yahoo just don't do it for us, I'm afraid

themetalpeddler, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  20. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Google works better if you know how to properly spell what you're looking for.

Crazy_Rob, Oct 20, 2005 IP
    Nokia999 likes this.