1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some critique on a website

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by draconusit, Jul 16, 2007.

My website is DraconusIT.net and I'd like some honest constructive criticism from any random viewers. We professionalize in PC repair, web design, and networking. Any honest critique is greatly appreciated. Check out the forums while you're there, drop a few threads if you like. Browse the store as well, see if you like anything. Thanks a bunch for your help to those who respond.

draconusit, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  2. x-noise

x-noise Peon

Best Answers:
    too dark and too monotone. also it does not validates as XHTML strict. Beside that, there really isn't much that i can comment on. Just lighten up the colors, because the range of colors used now is kind of depressing. Also i think that the site is a little bit too wide for what content it has. I would shrink it to half it's size. Also the menu buttons have no hovering action, and i think it would be nice if they had one. Some more imagery could probably lighten up the site.

x-noise, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  3. blackE36

blackE36 Peon

Best Answers:
    Site overall feels lifeless - if I was looking for a web design company you would be better without this. If you really like the gray use some bright colors to bring some life and energy in. Graphics would really help - you can find a bunch of high quality stock imagery free. If anything a high quality header with some vivid/ bright imagery would make a huge difference. Menu items don't seem very well organized and could use some interaction. Links leaving the main site and going to another layout is kind of unprofessional. For a tech business it's not terrible and with some tweaking you could have a decent site for potential clients. If you're offering web design you really might want to step it up some.

I wouldn't say you professionalize in web design at this point. You could have everyone throw in $10 and buy a decent template to start out with. :)

blackE36, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  4. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is very dark and it feels a bit like a war craft website, or one of the real time online browser space games. The site index also seems very empty, as though there should be some sort of header image... take a look at the competition and that will give you some ideas of where you're going wrong - web2 style is very, very popular these days, nice, clean, sharp and spacious layouts!!!

As for blackE36's comment re not professionalising in web design at this point, i'd definately agree. Don't add features or services just for the sake of it... you're probably best advised to stick to promoting PC repairs...

sabian1982, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  5. internetgal

internetgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think you do not deserve high criticism from my end.:) As a normal visitors, i would just suggest that it would to good if you slightly lighten the background colors and make the fonts a bit smaller....ummm rest are allright. As your site mainly deals with web design, networking and PC repair, I feel that more bright colors will eventually tire your eyes or whoever will be working on this! I think your website (after you lighten you colors and smaller fonts) will have damn good "Serious and Professional look". Like "we are very serious abt our site"!! :D Just read you mind and be your own judge..that would help..Thanks:)

internetgal, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  6. draconusit

draconusit Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright, your criticism has been greatly appreciated, and now I have a question in reference to your responses, as this will help us to be the best we can be. What sort of color scheme do you feel would be a better fit to our site? To be honest with you, our clients have far more effort put into their sites than we put into our own, as we were going for simple, professional, etc. Most of our clients enjoy flash as there main backdrop, as this seems to be what many companies are looking for. Thanks again for all your time and effort, and your criticisms will definitely will be taken into consideration as soon as we have a more pointed idea s to what you are looking for us to do... Our outsourced web designers are good, and I will definitely be working directly alongside them to make our site more current.

draconusit, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  7. frodosringfinger

frodosringfinger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you specialize in web design, you should try creating a professional looking template and an actual logo. Its simple, but TOO simple. No depth or uniqueness really. Could have been made in geocities.

frodosringfinger, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  8. internetgal

internetgal Peon

Best Answers:
    The background color is ok but pls lighten those colors a bit. Light grey will really give your website a "great damn serious look" :)

internetgal, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  9. bpb2221

bpb2221 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need rollover effects for links (change colors, underline), a more professional Logo (try LogoWorks, they are really good), optimize for 800x600 because you don't have that much content, your words on the nav buttons are not contrasting enough with the buttons.
    People with vision impairments will have problems seeing those links. There is a tool you can use to test this. I posted a blog about this, you might want to read it: webfabric.blogspot.com/2007/07/free-color-tools-for-web-designers.html

I hope it is helpful to you.
    Here is my idea of a color scheme that would would be consistent with what you already have.
    [​IMG]

Ben Blanchard
    webfabric.blogspot.com

bpb2221, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  10. draconusit

draconusit Peon

Best Answers:
    I happen to like my logo which was custom designed by my staff, and we will be sticking with that.

draconusit, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  11. frodosringfinger

frodosringfinger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why ask for honest constructive criticism and get offensive? Its my opinion that your logo is very unprofessional, as well as your layout. A total redesign would be the right way to go. Especially if your site specializes in web design. Or pay for a professional designer.

frodosringfinger, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  12. designerz

designerz Banned

Best Answers:
    need to work on the logo and add some relevant pictures on the site...

designerz, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  13. bpb2221

bpb2221 Peon

Best Answers:
    It may be a custom design by your staff, but is it effectively communicating what you do? I have a test for you. Take that logo and walk up to five random people who haven't seen it. Ask them, "what do you think this means?" If one of them says computer company, you would be very lucky. It looks like a D&D site.
    Don't get defensive when asking for constructive criticism and never take it personal. I am sure you spent a long time designing the logo, but it says nothing about what you do. It is a dragon on top of a marble out in space. What does that even mean?!? When I see it, I think 'asset protection'. Don't stick with it because only because you think it is cool and you invested a lot of time in it. Stick with it because it convey's the message that you want to send. In your case, the message is, "Hey, I'm a huge dragon guarding this marble, watch out!" :) When people see your logo, you want them to have some emotional connection to it so that they can relate your logo to what you do. You have to be open to other people's opinions. We are just trying to be honest and helpful. +12 honesty points (my D&D reference) :)

Ben Blanchard
    webfabric.blogspot.com/

bpb2221, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  14. draconusit

draconusit Peon

Best Answers:
    bpb2221. Thank you for the critique. I agree with you wholeheartedly. The logo should say something more about what we do. The entire logo also has the business name on it, but it doesn't connect to computer repair. Thanks again for the suggestion.

draconusit, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  15. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    I want colors and pictures! Graphics!

Looks boring, photos and images make the site more alive.

dnordstrom, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  16. bpb2221

bpb2221 Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason I suggest LogoWorks.com is that their prices are really low ($299.00 - $599.00) for logo design and they are very good. Their design's might give you some idea of how you want to add color to your site. Sometimes it is better to leave some things in the hands of professionals. The logo design doesn't have to fit perfect, it can be abstract, but it still needs to convey some meaning that is relative to your company's goals and vision.

I didn't mention this before, but your name, it has poor connotations. Here is a few words that came mind when I saw your name: totalitarian, dark, middle ages, drab. You should do the random people test with your name as well, but leave off the IT part. Ask them what are the first 3 words that come to mind when they hear 'Draconus'?

I sent this post to another designer and he told me, "that logo is instantly recognizable as : Fantasy game, fantasy books, fantasy website."

Ben Blanchard
    webfabric.blogspot.com/

bpb2221, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  17. mgware

mgware Peon

Best Answers:
    $599.00 is a low price?
    Anyway, I also think that is monotone. Is gloomy, depriment. It can make that your clients kill themselves!

mgware, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  18. fatabbot

fatabbot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You ask for advice but you are not willing to change it?
    The "
    DraconusIT
    Your source for IT help support and more!
    "
    part is really really basic, maybe add a reflection on it.

fatabbot, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  19. Freelance GD

Freelance GD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    • Work on logo (It looks that some one cropped images and merged/low quality)
    • Color Scheme (May be a little light/bright)
    • Header (Site looks empty)
    • Button in Center (Buttons are left justified and there is gap after about us. Whats that for?)

Rest of the design is good. The shadow effect is good enough, Buttons are also good, Easy navigation, neat and clean website.

Freelance GD, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  20. ICE_monky

ICE_monky Peon

Best Answers:
    news box feeds thru behind footer in firefox, and i also agree with Freelance GD

ICE_monky, Jul 20, 2007 IP