1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I prefer hand coding in HTML/CSS

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Aaron111, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    is css the best hand coded html editor" I herd some info on it but not sure I want to do basic html, is css the way to go?:rolleyes:

Aaron111, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  2. Tec-Support

Tec-Support Peon

Best Answers:
    I can code html/css by hand but I use Dreamweaver to save time. I always go through and clean up any unwanted code before I release a site. If I used notepad to do every site I wanted, I would lose so much valuable time getting the same results. You can also take advantage of the built in css editor within Dreamweaver. I often use both the built in, and hand code myself to take advantage of some of the more advanced features .css offers.

Tec-Support, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  3. Aaron111

Aaron111 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see!
    css is built in to dram weaver 8 cool I have it on my desk top.
    one thing though" how well are those sites you created and adjusted with dream doing online? I mean pr, serps ,contacts, sales all that pm me if its better to collaboration. I mean I certainly see DW being the one to use you need to be real good at code im sure in order to separate the good code and the bad code" is this as hard as it gets in reference to DW?

4. stefanlyl

stefanlyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i prefer coding xhtml/css in notepad , once you learn the basics its really easy and you'll be coding valid templates in no time!

stefanlyl, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  5. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    stefanlyl I some what agree but lets see how well your sites are taking to develop I mean would you argue that by fixing the code in DW is a bad idea after you build the site"? it sound like Tech-Support has a really good idea here" is this good or not"

6. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad is lame.

Horrible indenting.
    I have the habit of ctrl+Sing every 2-3 seconds or after every change (its like programmed into my head, so I don't even think when I save) and notepad always moves the cursor to a random spot if I ctrl S too often.
    No color highlighting
    When you ctrl+F, you have to ALT +D/U to search UP or DOWN, never the entire script.
    No shortcut for CTRL SHIFT S which on most programs is a Save As
    No line numbers
    No "smart" indenting for server-side/javascript or automatic collapsing for CSS brackets

I can go on...

Using notepad is a bad idea if you're multi-tasking like a madman and have tons of things to do like I do, if you're working on a small site then yeah.. its OK but I prefer all the shortcuts other advanced editors have to offer to save time.

soulscratch, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  7. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver isn't that bad, just don't use the visual editor. If you're a novice then you might have to use the visual editor for a bit, but after a few months you'll start to picture the elements drawn in your head and you won't even need to Ctrl+` anymore in DW's visual mode.

I believe DW uses an outdated Opera engine for the visual view, which is why you should never trust the visual view, always check how it looks in FF/Opera/Safari then IE.

soulscratch, Jul 15, 2007 IP
    Aaron111 likes this.
  8. HDaddy

HDaddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    you could use notepad++ instead of notepad.

HDaddy, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  9. deronsizemore

deronsizemore Peon

Best Answers:
    I use EditPlus and love it..

deronsizemore, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  10. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    soulscratch

nice inclusion! rep added

you have DW down well" how successful are all your DW written sites? I mean like pr, back links, seo optimized, and in the directories " do all the directories accept your sites" I ask this because I built one site with NVU and when I first blasted the site bestpricedcoffee.com out to the directories using directoryvault.com 30 out of 200 rejected the site. not to say it was because of the editor it could have been a little lack of seo and such but thats what happened any way.

11. designerz

designerz Banned

Best Answers:
    You can use Dreamweaver to hand code your file on HTML and CSS...

designerz, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  12. skibladner

skibladner Peon

Best Answers:
    Use one of em hifi text editors that show text, markup and code in different colours.

skibladner, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  13. michellesabre

michellesabre Peon

Best Answers:
    i prefere NOTEPAD !! lol

michellesabre, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  14. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Whilst hand coding is the route to go, notepad isnt the application to do it if you want to do it quickly or easily.

As already mentioned there are plenty of good editors that will have a "predictive text", colourise the text and validate all of which makes things quicker and easier to do.

We are .Net developers and so naturally use MS Visual Studio but both Visual Studio and the free version, Visual Web Developer Express, both are actually very good for hand coding not only .Net but also HTML and CSS.

AstarothSolutions, Jul 19, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.