1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google seems to be dancing

Discussion in 'Google' started by SERPalert, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    Fryman for president!!!!

web-rover, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Whatever makes you happy... but I sure don't see how a chat with "bob" provides any valuable information...

BTW, what have you added to the conversation, mnemtsas? I am just dying to see what a wonderful post you have prepared for us.. Care to enlighten us then, oh mighty one...

fryman, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  3. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really don;t care for all the reds i got right now.

I will always say my thing, and i do not expect wise asses to act mature. Wise asses have a lot of red rep to spread when things don;t go their way.

Also please do not ruine this thread with anymore personal issues.

Comment on the subject people. GOOGLE DANCE.

Cristian Mezei, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    frankm, jlawrence and Dirkjan like this.
  4. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:

teamshop, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  5. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    What is this forum's ideal then ? gesus.

6. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    What about the children?

web-rover, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  7. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like everyone needs a bong hit.

zman, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    aeiouy and mnemtsas like this.
  8. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Thanks Zman for your effort, but it's in vain. Others help in that.

9. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    So what, just because it's postulation and speculation people are not allowed to talk about it? Postulation and speculation are how the body of human knowledge advances. People ask questions, try to come up with answers, and the body of knowledge often moves forward because of it. This thread (well the bits of it I've been involved with) have been people putting up ideas and others knocking down these ideas with their observations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, it puts us closer to an answer of what is happening.

Just simply saying 'you all don't know anything for certain so you should shut up because you're annoying me' is childish in the extreme. The information that people like you and I capitalise on to make $$ from the internet orignally came from people who were asking questions and postulating things. They were courageous enough to ask 'What if I try this?" or "I wonder why this does that?". All we are doing is leeching off the answers they worked hard to find out.

If you don't like people asking the questions that's fine, just don't read this thread. Just wait for something to come from it (if anything does) and make money from it. And then you can sit back and tell everyone how smart you are the next time someone is asking questions or postulating theories to explain an observed behaviour.

mnemtsas, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    jlawrence likes this.
  10. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Damn ..this thread is going in the worng direction.

All it took was some wise ass.

11. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    This is rich coming from someone with 5000 posts which mostly consist of:

'oh geez not this again

<insert childishly amusing image here>'

GTech likes this.
  12. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    - lol we like to call him Fryman :p

13. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
    Asking questions is what this forum is for, throwing out unsubstantiated theories as fact is what I was commenting on. Just like the tons of threads where everytime someone get dinged in the SERPS it has to be because of the coop. If you think you have an idea of what is going on fine, but how about throwing in some data to back it up

teamshop, Oct 18, 2005 IP
    aeiouy likes this.
  14. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    There are a bunch of people throwing up theories in this thread and a bunch of others saying nope, that's not true because my site does/has X. Take a look at the exchange between Roman1 and myself. This is exactly what it was about.

15. saintdw

saintdw Peon

Best Answers:
    Meh, my initial hopes are shot.

The only change for my year old site is that now I rank number one for my site name lol.

saintdw, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  16. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Guy mentioned that the changed serps are likely to come from 66.102.7.x Data Centers. I check on .104 and found one of my sandboxed site showing almost returned allinanchor listings. Was 4 and 5 before and am 10th and 14th now. One of the keywords is showing the site at 106 and not showing up for the other set of keywords at all. I was first hoping this might mean a chance out of the sandbox...

But I am guessing this is just temporary and I will be kicked back to the sandbox before it is all done... Especially since my allinanchor is so far off my rank.

aeiouy, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  17. Presentationrentals

Presentationrentals Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you see Brett updated his blog,.....I mean again.

"Update: Just to clarify, these days with lots of smaller and larger changes happening at different points in time, it’s a little arbitrary to decide when to call something an update. That decision has usually fallen on Brett Tabke’s shoulders over at WebmasterWorld (WMW also chooses what name they want to call it when Brett decides enough has changed to call it an update.) Given that there should be new PageRank/backlinks visible in a few days (assuming no issues at our end), I wouldn’t be surprised if Brett slaps a name on it pre-emptively, even though there will still be some flux to come."

Presentationrentals, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  18. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    For what it's worth:

I was ranking very well (#1 or #2) for a few obscure terms I recently added. One of these terms returns a whopping 98 results, the other about a million.

Now, I'm nowhere to be found in the million and mid-twenties for the pool of 98.

The only backlinks for the targeted pages are from internal pages, or pages on other sites that I control. There's no secret which sites I control because they're all the same IP.

I assume that G treats all sites in the mini-net as one. If so, then all BLs would be considered internal. Perhaps, internal BLs are now completely ignored.

/*tom*/

longcall911, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  19. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Expertu,
    About
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=377531&postcount=572
    Glad to see you're reading me...:D
    But, for all the odd ideas I've had, I am sold on Caryl McDar's idea that some pre-scored data was lost, and therefore some sites were pushed down in the serps.

Now, some have asked if this is the case, why Google didn't have backups, etc.

Perhaps it was on purpose? I have long speculated that the final solution to the 302 redirect bug was to dump the cache and make certain that when recrawling, make certain to attribute links correctly. If they found a way of handling this, it could add up. Many of the 302 hijack sites I was tracking are long gone, or have been hammered in the serps over the last few months.

Add in McDar's pre-scored data theory as the catalyst of deciding which page got credit in the serps, (which is a leap, other than a small mention of part of the algo making the decision, no talk of it) and the dump of the pre-scored data as a correction (assuming they have found a way to keep from wrongly attributing without penalizing both) and maybe, just maybe there is an explanation for some sites.

If this is why the data was dumped, the chain reaction would be bad... any site suffering from a 302 problem would lose properly attributed links, internal and external, if it is in the database that got dumped it would have worthless outgoing links for a while, until it got re-crawled and attributed properly. I have felt that my site was suffering from some hangover effects of 302 redirect hijack bugs, and it seems the more popular the site (more and varied links in) the more it dropped. I did okay for only dropping 80...

I am tired and I don't know how this reads, really. But to sum it up, I am sold on McDar's theory, but see it as perhaps a solution to the 302 bug and perhaps 301 redirect problems.

NetMidWest, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  20. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The 302 theory would make sense, my site that got hammered has been long suffering battles with scrapers and 302 hijacks. If all it takes to get rid of these guys is to put my site down for a week or two than I say google go for it, I'll take a loss of income over a few weeks to get the problem solved once and for all. Who knows if that's the actual cause but it sure would make me happy.

Other sites I have that have always done decent with google but have not realy suffered scraper sites, 302's, etc appear to be doing just fine if not better.

GRIM, Oct 18, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.