1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Taking Back the Freebies Forum

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by PalSys, Jul 13, 2007.

We all know this forum has become a vast pool of social networking exchanges with the odd freebie in between. This obviously is not the intended use of the forum and it definitely makes it tough for people with actual free offerings and people looking for actual free offerings.

I've started a personal campaign against the culprits. My tactics are a sweet combination of post reporting and good old fashioned nagging :D I spend a few minutes every few hours, no more, during my workday.

The great point to all of this: it's actually working! I'm seeing fewer threads and while mods aren't getting to all of my reported posts, the in-thread nag scares alot of these newbies away.

I just wanted to encourage everyone to take the time to do this. It seems like a small thing, but if it makes a positive difference within the forum and thus DP, it'll be worth it. Just posting a quick 'this is not allowed in this forum' is often enough to end a thread and allow it to be dragged to the bottom. Take a look at the forum now: there are more genuine freebies on the first page then I've seen in a long, long time.

PalSys, Jul 13, 2007 IP
    CountryBoy likes this.
  2. Raine1988

Raine1988 Active Member

Best Answers:
    well maybe we need a exchange forum ? cause sometimes those exchanges they offer can come just on the right moment i need them.

Raine1988, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  3. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    Maybe, but that really isn't the point. I have nothing against these exchanges (save for the fact that they completely undermine the point of the social networks that they rape) - my point is that just because a forum doesn't exist doesn't mean they should be spread throughout another forum.

PalSys, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  4. longhornfreak

longhornfreak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mods need to take action on this. It's not decreasing, maybe a slight drop for a few days, but its going to pick back up and keep growing. I don't see a problem with it, because there is nowhere else to put them, and social bookmarking is a fairly new advertising tactic. IMO there needs to be a section for social media. It's been said many times before, several other thread probably hundreds have been created on this same matter. Nothing has been done, so it looks like we will just have to live with it.

longhornfreak, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  5. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why not a subforum for the freebies forum called Exchange? or Social Bookmarking or something similar?

Brennan, Jul 13, 2007 IP
    jdR!pper likes this.
  6. ProFDesigns

ProFDesigns Active Member

Best Answers:
    that sounds cool actually
    i like that idea :)

ProFDesigns, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  7. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that it would be good if there was somewhere else to put the Social Bookmarking stuff. I hadn't noticed until I saw one of the OPs comments, and went to check the freebies rules, but EXCHANGES aren't allowed in Freebies because well, they aren't free :)

So many people are doing it now I think it would be hard to stop them unless they had somewhere else to post the things. A sub forum would make things an awful lot easier on the mods.

etali, Jul 14, 2007 IP
    jdR!pper likes this.
  8. heatherw_01

heatherw_01 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We really do need a sub forum. Most threads are digg or stumbleupon

heatherw_01, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  9. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    We don't want an exchanges forum, we want a freebies forum. All these digg for rep offers are the ones which i really really hate.

Please sort this out moderators,

Rob

Robert Allen, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  10. gamez93

gamez93 Banned

Best Answers:
    i think that this should be added, i have not been here for long - but it seems like a good idea to me.

gamez93, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  11. AvarianParakeet

AvarianParakeet Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't understand why their just isn't a section for social bookmarking in the BST section. It fits perfectly and it would help reduce the general clutter.

P.S.

If you really want to help take it back, you can also report them for rep abuse if they offer green rep as part of the trade. There is a new sticky in the BST section about it.

AvarianParakeet, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  12. anions

anions Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I try to nag around too if I see people stumbling fuggly sites :D

anions, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  13. Duality

Duality Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it should go into link exchange or a subforum in link exchange. Makes a lot more sense as you are pretty much doing it for link love and traffic.

Duality, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  14. Bob'O

Bob'O Peon

Best Answers:
    What used to be in the freebies forum? I'm serious on this. Since I've been reading it, it's always been full of these exchanges. I cannot imagine what people would be giving away for free that they would need a whole forum to do it in.

Bob'O, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  15. boomer03

boomer03 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey PALSYS,

I am giving away a free service by advertising my social networking site here in freebies. It's a FREE link, something other sites charge for. Until there is a specific category for it, this IS the most appropriate thread.

I just checked all of your recent posts. Nothing but whinging and complaining and reporting other members for minor infractions. Why have you taken it upon yourself to be the DP police?

boomer03, Jul 15, 2007 IP
    PalSys and amanamission like this.
  16. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to see posts from people giving away a domain that they didn't want anymore or a ebook or content. Now it's all Stumble and Digg exchanges taking up the space.

chant, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  17. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Replace the freebies section by Social Bookmarking.

inworx, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  18. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    I both offer and look for actual freebies on a very regular basis. That is no longer possible due to users such as you. If you are offering a free link, I would think that a forum with the name 'link' in it would be best.

To be more concise: I'm am not 'DP police', I'm a concerned and active member who is tired of having that aspect of my experience here at DP ruined by people who can't pull legitimate traffic to their half-assed sites. I do complain from time to time, though I rarely 'whing.'

My 'whinging' and complaining is all well within the DP rules - you may not like that I'm trying to help enforce them in that particular forum, but there is an easy answer for you and every other newbie who can't figure out how to read a FAQ: follow the rules and you won't even notice all of that complaining. Or 'whinging.' :D

PalSys, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  19. Bob'O

Bob'O Peon

Best Answers:
    Palsys I was checking out your download site last night. I saw the cellphone package and well when I downloaded it there were pictures of boobies all over the place. You may want to put a warning next to the download link as any kid or person under 18 could go to your site and get naked photos of both woman and cartoon/anime chicks.

Bob'O, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  20. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    Not the best way to contact me about a problem on one of my sites but I appreciate the head's up just the same. I'll take a look at the package shortly and clean it up :)

PalSys, Jul 15, 2007 IP