1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitted site many times :) No result

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by cynia, Jul 2, 2007.

Submitted site many times in Dmoz with No result

I never get a mail that i am rejected but neitheir a mail that i am accepted!±

Will a listing in Dmoz help my site?

cynia, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  2. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You never will get an email.

A dmoz listing will not help your site, traffic-wise, or PR wise, beyond the normal value of one single link.

Many sites have been listed for over two years and still have ZERO PR.

helleborine, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  3. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    You cannot be sure there was no result.

One possible result is that your site has been red carded as a result of those many times and you will now never be listed in DMOZ.

It is best to submit a site only the number of times permitted in the DMOZ guidelines. Additional submissions can lead to unwanted results.

dharmarucci, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  4. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Luckily for cynia, a dmoz links hardly makes a difference either way. Think of the many websites that dmoz has had listed for over two years, that still have zero PR.

It doesn't matter whether or not you are listed, red-tagged, purple-polka-dot tagged, ex-editor tagged. You're not going to miss the visitors, because if you have 3 per month, you're breaking records, and you're not going to miss the PR, because it doesn't count for much. Even on high PR directory pages, you can still have PR zero.

Forget it and move on. Promote your website in ways that show results, such as real PR, and real traffic.

helleborine, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Creating unique content is best way to promote your website - my little multilanguage website has reached 2121 pages with first few pages in Polish - Cześć! ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  6. cynia

cynia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I submitted the site three times already !

cynia, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  7. helleborine

Best Answers:
    That means you've wasted 200% more time on it than necessary, not including the time wasted talking about it in this forum, and my wasting my time telling you that you're wasting your time. :) That's a lot of wasted time.

Multiple submissions might lump you with spammers, and might result in link-approvers wishing to show you who's boss by letting your site stew in the queue for eternity. But who cares? It makes no difference either way.

Again - it doesn't matter whether your link is posted in the Dinosaur Link Farm. We're not in 2001 anymore.

helleborine, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Although such a thing is technically possible it is highly unlikely unless you are submitting daily to random unrelated categories i.e. spamming. A site may be red tagged for breaking rules such as being an affiliate site, or it could be rejected (not red tagged) for having insufficient content. A listable site won't be red-tagged. More likely you are overwriting previous submissions so completely wasting your time, or if submitting to multiple different categories, you are severely pissing off an editor who has to go around removing all the copies and is therefore going to give reviewing and listing the remaining single submission the very lowest priority on their to-do list. Submit once, forget, get on with more productive stuff.

brizzie, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  9. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't waste your time, they are old news. If you want submit once and move on. They think they are gods and they take their sweet time even considering your site. Spend your time on building good content and building other back links to your site. Good content is what keeps visitors coming back to your site. If you have crap for content all the back links in the world will mean nothing.

allout, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Some editors act like deities, some are incompetent, and a few are crooks. They generally command very little respect even amongst editors. Most editors think they are unpaid volunteers who don't owe webmasters free marketing and will do what they can in whatever spare time they have available. If that helps a webmaster somewhere then it is a side-effect to the directory objectives and not one of the objectives, which makes it unique and therefore sometimes difficult to understand.

But they are old news, you should submit once and move on, and good content brings the visitors back, so that advice seems very sound.

brizzie, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  11. cynia

cynia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I believe the same!

I think there is no editor in my category :(

cynia, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  12. bacwebdesign

bacwebdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I volunteered to be an editor and was then bounced by one of my "supervising editors" because I hired someone to do some work on one of my sites. Their site had been in the directory for nearly three years before I started my short time there, but it was apparently a "conflict of interest". They sent me a "Dear John" email and shut down my username and password before I could tell them my side of the story.

The amazing part is they complain there is not enought people to help them run their site, but if you are not part of the "inner circle" your are of no use to them. Oh well.. their loss!

bacwebdesign, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the Ex-Ed club :D Though, many of us abandoned ship before they could toss us overboard. You'll find your life to be a bit less stressful now that you are freed from the pomp & paranoia.

Though I do find it hard to place your post within the context of this thread but *shrug* it's all good ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  14. Peobigwig

Peobigwig Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried to get into DMOZ for over 4 years with a quality site.

Peobigwig, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  15. helleborine

Best Answers:
    If you have a quality, bookmark-worthy website, a DMOZ listing would be of little value to you.

They did lose all their data during a 2-month long outage. If you haven't submitted in 2007, you might want to try again. I say this to you, but personally, I no longer bother submitting to DMOZ. To you I say, "submit and forget" but my own rule is "forget to submit."

helleborine, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  16. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    I can get you listed in 2 seconds, i own about 20 DMOZ domains. This is how good they are, one domain has had nothing on it in over 3 years yet its still listed.

If you call that a quality directory, id hate to see a poor neglected one.

sweetfunny, Jul 11, 2007 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  17. bitsy

bitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    so not a big deal if in DMOZ?

bitsy, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  18. helleborine

Best Answers:
    New motto:
    FORGET TO SUBMIT