1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Harry Potter and The Order of the Pheonix [Movie]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & TV' started by snapplekid13, Jul 11, 2007.

I saw the midnight showing last night / this morning. To tell you the truth I thought it was the WORST Harry Potter Movie yet!

2 stars out of 10!
    2/10
    **/**********

The Beginning
    Right off it shows Dudley as a Gangsta, whats up with that? And Harry gets out his wand in front of Dudley and his friends! The "allyway" is under a bridge... that wasn't in the book! The Dementors don't look like the ones that were in the 3rd movie. Harry's Patronus didn't even look like a Stag! When they got home Harry received only 1 letter and that was expelling him! Aunt Petunia didn't receive the Howler from Dumbledore! When part of the Order came they unlocked Harry's door and came in, they wern't rumaging in the kitchen. When they were flying to HQ they flew right in the middle of London!

Grimwauld Place
    It looked like it was an apartment building! There wasn't Sirius's mother's painting. Kreacher looked OK but he didn't really do anything! They didn't clean up anything in the "house". Harry barely trough a fit when he came! Apparation apparently doesn't POP anymore! At dinner They just told everyone about the Order. Ginny was told too. They didn't even explain it well to Harry and them. They did do a fairly good job on the extendable Ears though.

Ministry of Magic
    The Visitors entrence was supposed to be in a ratty looking part of town.. looked like one of the nicest parts of town! When they got down there there was thousands of Wizards in the Lobby instead of "no more than 50" The fountain was not lifesize, more like GIANT size!

The Hearing
    They did OK on the hearing, I kinda wanted to see Dumbledoors big puffy chair though.

NO PREFECTS!
    Ron and Hermione weren't prefects! So Ron didn't get the Broom and there was NO Quidditch!

Umbridge
    Unbridge was well played by whoever did it... ( to lazy to look up )

Detention
    The detention with Umbridge went quite well actually, I thought it was alright.

Educational Decree No. XX
    The were atleast 50 Educational Decrees added on to the 22. The book only had a few!

Dumbledore's Army
    No coins to show the next meeting. Cho Chang didn't tell Umbridge where it was. When Dumbledore escaped from his office it was more like he did the Y in YMCA and vanished with Fawkes.

Occlumency
    They did do a good job int his part I must say. But when Harry looked into Snapes pensieve.. Oh wait thats right there was no Pensieve!

The snake bite
    When Mr.Weasly got bit he was in the Hall of Prophecy! Not waiting out side in the hall! They didn't even get to go to St.Mungo's!

Fred and George escape
    Fred and George made the distraction because Harry wanted to talk to Sirius about his dad. They did it during O.W.L.'s! And there was NO SWAMP!

Grawp
    BEAUTIFUL job on Grawp...

Luna Lovegood and Thestrals
    Excellent job on her too. The thestrals were OK not what I pictured but they did fairly good for making a batwinged horse with dragin skin etc.

The Ministry pt2
    They made it the the hall with the door fine but when they went through it they went straight into the Hall of Prophecy! NO CIRCULAR ROOM!

At the Hall of Prophecy Harry did pick up theprophecy but it didn't tell him what the prophecy was!

The Veil looked as idiotic as Dudley. It was just an archway in the middle on like an Island inside the ministry! No curtains... at all! When Sirius died he didn't die right away like Cedric did... he kinda hovered the for a second and went inside the veil... that didn't happen in the book!

The scene with Dumbledore, Voldemort and Harry was pretty dumb too. It looked exactly like it did in the 4th one ith Harry and Voldemort but with Dumbledore and Voldemort instead! The fountain didn't come to life like it did in the book! That was one of my favorite parts too!

I did like how they did voldemort posessing Harry though.

The Prophecy - YEA RIGHT!
    Dumbledore didn't tell him the prophecy! The prophecy told him! How was Harry supposed to understand it!

All in all, it sucked. I will not be seeing it again until it comes out onto DVD and I'm only buying it because I want the full set!

DON'T GO SEE IT! Waste of time and money!

snapplekid13, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  2. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hm, all that hype for nothing, eh? Well, I'm probably gonna go see it with a bunch of friends anyway. At least I'll get to see how crappy it is myself. :p

Computerized, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  3. snapplekid13

snapplekid13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    We all knew it was going to have a bunch of Hype. But I didn't think it would be that bad!

snapplekid13, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  4. skibladner

skibladner Peon

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

skibladner, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  5. Grim.

Grim. Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm currently on my holidays, and am bored as hell, so probably will see it :p Hopefully it's not to bad.

Grim., Jul 11, 2007 IP
  6. Ratman2050

Ratman2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good review snapple, I thought it was an Okay movie, HP3 or 4 may have been better.

Ratman2050, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  7. scart3r

scart3r Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think I agree with most of what you said. It wasn't as cool as having all of that Quiddich and dragon stuff in the last one - but the battle scene against you know who was pretty cool. And I loved it when the twins decided that the school wasn't for them.. very funny.

scart3r, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  8. snapplekid13

Best Answers:
    Thanks!

Forgot to add one thing:

Who the hell claps in a movie theater?!?! Every scene imaginable people clapped or rah-rahed! Its a MOVIE THEATER! The director ain't there, he can't here you! But there was a significant difference in clapping for the beginning and the end. Which means it sucked ;)

Also, Idk if I mentioned this, but I am a huge potter fan, I've read the books several times seen the movies etc. So this is the real review form someone that knows potter ;)

snapplekid13, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  9. drpepper

drpepper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ^ haha.. when we eatched transformers, people clapped too! i guess they want to show how they love the movie was! im going to see HP this weekend!!! cant wait!

drpepper, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  10. snapplekid13

Best Answers:
    Don't be surprised if it disapoints you!

11. DaiTengu

DaiTengu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Horrible review. Seriously.
    I went and watched the movie opening night, and I was actually rather impressed. They did a good job of keeping the story moving.

Many things were cut out, it's true. I was kind of sad that there was no Quiddich, and I really wanted to hear a rousing round of "Weasley is Our King". However, I completely understand why it wasn't in the movie, it didn't further the overall plot. It was filler.

The movie weighed in at about 2 1/2 hours according to my watch. This was a good timeframe for the film. Not too long, and not too short.

You can't judge how good a movie was on the book it was based on. I don't know of a single movie that was based on a book that followed the book word-for-word and included everything that was in the book.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, and I give it 4 1/2 stars.

DaiTengu, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  12. snapplekid13

Best Answers:
    Did you see the same movie I watched? Its 2hours and 18min long btw. Also it was over 800 pages! I was expecting at least 3 hours with that! Im saying, they could've done 30sec here or a minute there and it would've been a lot better movie! And do some things right! Like sirius did not give Harry the pic of the old Order, MOODY did! Come on the little things like that! If you cut out alot then stay true to the parts you left in.. they only semi-did.

13. DaiTengu

DaiTengu Active Member

Best Answers:
    I purposely did not re-read the book before I went to see the move in order to heighten my enjoyment of the flick. I read Goblet of Fire just before the last movie came out, and I really felt the same as you with that flick. But after watching the movie a few more times, and as time passes and your memory of the little bits in the book fades away, you find that the movie actually becomes much better.

Sirius gave Harry the picture in the movie in order to show us how much he cared for Harry. In the book we had far more time to realize that there was a bond between those two, but unfortunately 2 hours and 18 minutes just wasn't enough time to show that bond. In the book Harry spent lots of time talking about Sirius, sending him letters and doing similar things. None of it really furthered the main plot, which was that Voldemort was trying to get the prophecy, but it did show how important the bond between the two of them was.

The issue you're having is that you're looking too deep into the film. There was a reason that things were cut out or changed. It wasn't just to screw with people's heads, or deviate from the book on purpose, but to further the story that was being told in the film.

I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix the day it came out. I'm a fairly fast reader, and it still took me about 16 hours to tear through the entire book. That was, in essence, 14 hours that had to be cut out.

I completely understand where you're coming from, I was in that situation in Goblet of Fire. I was really mad at the stuff that was cut out (especially missing the Dursleys in the beginning). But when I sat down and thought about it, I realized that it was all for a very good reason, and it in no way hurt the film.

Look at the film as separate from the book. Perhaps one person's account of the story, while the book is another person's account. The book enhances the film, and flushes out the story. The however, still does an excellent job of standing on it's own.

DaiTengu, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  14. snapplekid13

Best Answers:
    I see your point fully thats why I didn't reread the book before it came out either. Also The 4th one kinda grew onto me after about the 8th or 9th time seeing it but I think this one will need a few more showings than that!

snapplekid13, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  15. Michelle Ü

Michelle Ü Banned

Best Answers:
    nice review there...thanks for the heads up. i still haven't seen the movie but planning to check it out this Saturday.

Michelle Ü, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  16. soccer-writer

soccer-writer Peon

Best Answers:
    Some crucial chapters from the book never got enough reel time. The constant grouse as always !

soccer-writer, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  17. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LMAO the movie was pretty sucky.

Me and my friends kept linking it back to sex. Seriously, you could do that the whole way throughout. They constantly used words and phrases that could quite easily be taken the wrong way.

I'll have to rewatch it except pay attention this time lol.

Not sure how it got its PG rating. I've seen films rated M that had less adult content that Harry Potter

rochow, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  18. anions

anions Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I stopped watching HP movies too, after seeing the third one - it was just horrible for people like me who've read each books 10-15 times :p

Not gloating, just wondering why so less people on dp are ready to join the "HP movies suck" club. :p

anions, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  19. Grim.

Grim. Peon

Best Answers:
    I've read all the books up to the one this movie was on, so I didn't know what was going to happen (other that his Godfather dieing). I was a little disappointed, half the movie just seemed to be Harry talking. It seemed a little slow, and new characters seemed to be popping up a bit. Though the part where Harry and the group of his friends went and fought against Voldamorts people was good.

Grim., Jul 16, 2007 IP
  20. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should have warned people about spoilers? :p
    I saw the movie too, it was definitely the worst one so far, but it wasn't that bad. Definitely didn't deserve a 2!
    There wasn't much action, just plotting against other people.
    Even though it's not the best movie, it's one of those where you *have* to see it.

Geoffrey, Jul 16, 2007 IP