1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google seems to be dancing

Discussion in 'Google' started by SERPalert, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael_angeloh

michael_angeloh Peon

Best Answers:
    lorien1973: I certainly think there are quite a few folks here who want to believe this is the case including myself.

I started noticing something happening last weekend when I followed up on some keyword links from my site stats tracking service. I clicked on a keyword a visitor used to find my site and when I landed on Google SERPS for that keyword I could'nt find my site listing. Thought that was strange so I went to DP keyword tracker and noticed it scored my backlinks in URL as "0". I brought this issue up in a subsequent post:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=32784

So then I assumed it might've just been a DP tracker foible until I ran a keyword report and notice about 50% of my top-10 keywords got the ominous -9999 results. All the red down the page reminded me of my stock report during the market blowout in late 2000. Bad feeling...

This all happened last weekend. By Wednesday I notice alot of the keyword rankings returned to normal and even went up in some instances. Good feeling...

Then on Friday the rankings got shot up again this time about 80% blown completely off the charts so I had to remind myself that they went down... then out... then up... then gone... Mixed feeling...

I read this entire thread and I hope this is what they call a "headfake" in the market. Looks like it's going one way but ends up another. The irratic flux is just to wild to pin on any one thing like inbound links or recips etc. Either Google's pulled massive data while it re-establishes it's final results or lost massive data which I'm sure they'll recap in short order. Either way we'll end up with some changes but they won't be as radical as they have been this past week.

If during the data mix you've seen a quantum upswing in your SERPS then you're happy and I hope it lasts for you. If you've experienced total devestation in your GP results and you depend on Google traffic for an income then I can commisorate with you but also think it'll all come out in the wash by or before this week ends.

My two cents...
    take a break from the daily stat reports,
    take a deep breath, a walk, enjoy the beach, a park, a playground. come back in a few days.
    hang in there friends...
    it's not over yet...

michael_angeloh, Oct 17, 2005 IP
    Arnie, web-rover, TheHoff and 2 others like this.
  2. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    michael_angeloh, great post :)

I too noticed odd behavior in my referrer logs

I would see a hit from a search term, and when i clicked the referrer link, my site was no where to be found.

web-rover, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  3. Aok

Aok Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Said!!!!

Aok, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  4. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    No, but I did notice something else. The site that took the #1 position on a keyword that my site ranked #1 for for ages, has now dropped from the serps entirely. Serves them right, as that site didn't have pagerank nor content, and had no business being in the #1 position in the first place. But these sure are mighty fluctuations :(

(My 'No' answered a question posed five posts ago. Unfortunately, this thread is moving too fast for my typing skills ;) )

celt, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  5. indepth184

indepth184 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a quick thought, seeing as there's so many people who seem to have seen a substantial drop in their rankings (or complete drop as in our case!) - I was wondering if anyones has or knows of any sites that have seen a jump?

indepth184, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  6. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    well of course there are going to be sites that make jumps with so many other dropping drastically.

SERPalert likes this.
  7. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    I pray those with a older date drop later in the week.....BWAHAHAHA :)

SERPalert, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  8. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    A couple of sites I do work for (2) have done well on this. The rest, including my own sites for a large % of the keywords tanked to N/A.

gford, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  9. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    How's this for a novel idea:
    Google are working on a new algo, it will remove all good sites and place them in a special index. Because of the size of their databases this is going to take a couple of weeks to run completely, then once complete and all the 'good' sites have been moved it just leaves the crap in the SERPs. They then heavily penalize all remaining sites in the SERPs and reinstate the good sites. And we all move to the top :D:D
    Wishful thinking ??????

jlawrence, Oct 17, 2005 IP
    Tuning likes this.
  10. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    web-rover, I agree. But it would make a lot more sense if those sites that suddenly jump to top 10 positions were actually relevant to the keywords on which they rank so high

celt, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  11. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone agree with the shift? Putting sour grapes aside.

12. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just checked one of my main keywords and did a search on google.
    Found only one with adsense ads on the 17th position (out of 20)

Arnie, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  13. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    No Adsense ads on the sites that I monitor and that have been negatively effected.

Caryl

mcdar, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  14. baseballcube

baseballcube Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a baseball web site with over a hundred thousand player pages listed, many of them at #1 and a high% in the top 10 and I am noticing that they are now ALL GONE.

The replacements are mostly high-traffic media sites like CNN, USAToday and "Official" web sites while other baseball sites seem to have fallen to the wayside, mine especially.

Considering I rely on the site to make a living (for the most part), I am very afraid of what has happened to my pages. Some of the pages are now listed in the 300s or higher while most others are now completely gone.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what happened but I can't get anywhere, except that I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who was hit though I am not happy for anyone else's distress.

www.thebaseballcube.com is the site

baseballcube, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  15. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I always disagree with results that have generic informational sites are front 10 (this includes about.com; howstuffworks.com; dmoz, etc).

lorien1973, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  16. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm seeing a lot more ebay listings in the generic results for fairly competitive search phrases. Its somewhat upsetting that most of these ebay listings are already expired.

Come on google, what are you doing????

jestep, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  17. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:

I'm seeing something similiar. lots of media type sites ranking ahead of me.

18. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyway, someone must be selling an awful lot of Irish dancing shoes today :D

celt, Oct 17, 2005 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
  19. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I would tend to think McDar's tools would be more accurate since it's not based on G's api (as far as I understand it)

mopacfan, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  20. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just had it happen to one of my main sites as well, top ranked keywords for extremely relevant terms which my site was always #1-#3 in google for years has just been bumped out so that you can't even find it.

Glad to see so many others having this issue, think it shows something simply going on at googles end that will hopefully be temporary and not that my site got a huge penalty for some reason ;)

Other sites of mine have had it happen over the past week or 2 which I thought nothing of, but when a site goes from being loved by google for years to being almost dropped completely it makes you wonder.

GRIM, Oct 17, 2005 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.