1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How you got into Directory Business?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Mong, Jul 10, 2007.

I am going to sleep ;)

Just got an interesting question in mind that how you wonderful people {its finest forum on dp} have got into Directory business ?

What exactly 'triggered' you to start a directory?

Hopefully you'll list some interesting events ;)

Edit:
    1) In which year you started?
    2) How many do you have now at the moment? {alive}
    3) Are you really making money out of them as you wished?

Mong, Jul 10, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  2. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My first directory was launched because I was so frustrated with the ridiculous processing times from DMOZ and the outrageous fee required by Yahoo.

SilkySmooth, Jul 10, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  3. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i made a directory becuz it looked cool to me .... and i loved the first design by Agent47 when i saw it ... the blue one .. dont remember its name now ... and a friend of mine said its free u can get it on ur directory so i started.

smub, Jul 10, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Im going to give a somewhat unexpected description, although some of it isn't related to directories it explains how i got to be running them.

A few years ago i used to produce dance music (for my own pleasure) i saw an ad in a paper for ringtone creator job, i went for the interview but didn't get the job, i decided from that to launch my own ringtone sites, after reading an ebook on search engines and optimisation i discovered that directories existed so i started submitting my ringtone sites to directories.

I did that for around 2 years i think, at first i intended to setup a directory about 18 months ago but then put it off more and more until earlier this year after submitting to many directories for my sites and blogs i thought why not, its now or never, so i started a few.

Its been great, i have learned so much and now i fully appreciate the hard work that many directory owners put into their projects.

1. Started 2007
    2. 7 at the moment
    3. Realistically im making what i expected for now

pipes, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  5. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    So you started a directory to compete with them? :rolleyes:

Its cool ;)

Many started after becoming angry at DMOZ. :D

Mong, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  6. overdrive

overdrive Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I wanted to increase my knowledge of internet marketing and coding. I have a portfolio of about 15 websites that I have really taken the time to work on and market. I decided back in October 06 to create a directory in order to increase my portfolio and learn a little more. The way I market my directory is a little different than my other sites because I am dealing with webmasters that usually know their stuff. I have enjoyed every minute of it and probably will only own one because of the time it takes, plus I still have to run my other sites!

overdrive, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  7. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well my initial thought wasn't to compete, but I suppose any directory is a competitor :D

SilkySmooth, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  8. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I did it for the Thrill and the Rush of accepting and rejecting
    as well as organizing categories links :p

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  9. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was a link-builder before I became a directory owner and few weeks back some one called me link-wh....re:p

I came into this industry by accident and desing. Whilst building links for other sites and submitting to other FREE directories-- I was always fascinated/thrilled to know how these sites operated.

Then in January-2007 came an opportunity as I got a good bargain to buy 2 directories (PR3 & PR2 --Genuine --not like those QBC sales who put up the script on an expired domain with PR)--since then no looking back.

1) In which year you started? -- Jan-2007
    2) How many do you have now at the moment? {alive} --4
    3) Are you really making money out of them as you wished? -- can't say-- but I can certainly cover my internet bills, petrol for my 14 yrs old Yamaha Classic BIKE and Petrol I need everyday myself.:p

jhnrang, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  10. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't know anything from a directory until I came to DP. (i'm not a "webguy") Thought it would be cool to provide a good service for my profession. Learning a lot from you guys as a newbie though is giving me inspiration to take on some of the "monster" size competition I am dealing with...for fun! (but i'll need A LOT more help from you guys for that!)

1) In which year you started? Bought a brand spanking new domain in Feb 2007
    2) How many do you have now at the moment? 1
    3) Are you really making money out of them as you wished? Wasn't planning on making money for a good year

jhnrang,
    Very cool looking directory bestinternetresource.info
    I was glad to see I have 2 sites on there :)

acuman, Jul 10, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks --but that directory is newer than yor directory. Though I bought the domain in February-- th directory script was installed only on 21st March. I opened it for submission on DP on 28th March after organising categories ( Yahoo directory inspired) -- it got nice PR6 in 1 month time

It is still under development as I am adding new categories all the time and please visit the BLOG and have a glance on the BLOG roll:p

jhnrang, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  12. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all very nice!
    Second of all, how the hell did you get so many backlinks in just a couple months???? Can such a narrow niche like mine do that? Any tips? :)

Thanks!

acuman, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I got into it as a means to acquire backlinks to an affiliation program that I was into, so that I could use that to gain ranks for key terms.

The affiliation was corrupt and i told them to go f'k off, but I liked the idea of learning something new and the way directories were organized.

Believe it or not, SkaLinks was actually my first choice in scripts, and when I saw what I needed to learn I hesitated, bounced around for a bout a week, decided 'ok rob, just pick one', and wound up at phpld which was the deadest of forums out of them all.

an0n, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  14. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its not about 2 months & number of backlinks mate--------its about one month ( ecactly 30 days) and quality links. Tips -- I just SPAMMED around:p

Pls Rob --more about your background -:p

jhnrang, Jul 10, 2007 IP
    acuman likes this.
  15. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    I first made some spammy directories to make some quick bucks and money. Later realized my mistake and sold them. Then gathered all my earnings and built the web1 directory. Thats the only one I have right now. But i was thinking to have one more directory with a budget bigger than Web1.

aditya_sfs, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  16. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started mine after getting into SEO (mainly SEOing my own websites)...

I try not to start a new one until I feel my other ones are quality directories and offer as much as possible (which is never enough)...

Nima

Nima, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  17. Hamsap

Hamsap Banned

Best Answers:
    I started a web directory as a learning experience and I can say that after being involved in this since November 2006, I have certainly gained a lot of knowledge about directories and SEO in general. I have three right now (I sold off my fourth directory [a bidding directory] yesterday for $1.5K), and my goal is to have 3 bid directories and 3 regular web directories by the end of the year. The money is not bad but I did not do directories for the money.

Hamsap, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  18. rajanforums

rajanforums Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't a directory now. But i would start one very soon. My only inspiration is this forum. I realized directory as a business only after entering this forum.

rajanforums, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  19. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Started in October 2005 after discovering the power of Yahoo! Directory both in link strength and revenue capabilities.

Have been a founder of over 15 well-established directories. Most of which are still around today.

Some of which you may be familiar with that I've sold in the past: BlueRaccoon, Bay Engine, Evenseek, and Inclusio.

Currently own 2: Fourfind (Paid) and Webmixture (Free)

NRLMedia, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  20. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought I would make a million dollars the first year, that's why I started a directory.

adnan, Jul 10, 2007 IP