1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Update Coming?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Harold, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I can see one flaw in that approach. Assuming that all websites are geared and optimized "to help" Google and let them know what is and is not relevant, then everything should be fine. We should just go back to the Meta Keywords element and be done with it then.

Google is out to find the most relevant results without the need of outside help, or telling them what is relevant. Out of the billions of pages they have in their index, and the countless pages yet to be discovered -- I am guessing that not even half of these are touched by an SEO's hand and less that are done quite expertly.

It is therefore reasonable to assume that there are far more relevant pages that should be listed higher in the SERPS, but cannot because optimization does skew the results for the minority at the expense of the majority.

Because there is more money in Pimping of course. I learned that watching the Mod Squad years ago. :D

Dodger, Oct 1, 2004 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Google sent out the second one to find out what happened to the first one. Neither of them came back so they sent out a third one but that just came back with Anthonycea. Now Google is afraid to send out anything else...

minstrel, Oct 1, 2004 IP
  3. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Droll......hehehe :D

Foxy, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  4. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Bob,
    Do you participate in affiliate programs ;) ?

You are correct in saying that marketing is a huge part of business, but why don't you purchase adsense ad's for said keywords, rather then changing (or manipulating) your website(s).

Google wants "organic" results, not ones that are researched, keyword-stuffed and link exchanged.

Right, but Google does not say that they think the most relevant sites are the ones that have the most link exchanges, or the sites that can buy the most links. In the olden days :rolleyes: , links occured naturally to relevant websites.

Every ad in Time magazine is paid for. Time magazine does not say "We believe these products/services are the most relavent to what you are looking for". They take the money and print the ad.

We can all spin rhetoric to make SEO seem rosier, but SEO is an attempt to manipulate the search engines, (in my humble opinion, or course).

ViciousSummer, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see the relevance of that question to the subject at hand?

And as to the rest of your arguments, you don't know what Google wants, they won't tell us. And I'm pretty tired of the accusations and the holier than thou attitude.

compar, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  6. PRBot.Com

PRBot.Com Guest

Best Answers:
    I second that!

PRBot.Com, Oct 2, 2004 IP
    compar likes this.
  7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    You don't see the relevance of this question? My point is that affiliate websites try to rank high is the serps to make money. Right? Do you feel that an affiliate site is more relevant then a website that actually sells the product that they are promoting? Arn't affiliate sites trying to manipulate search engines?

Bob, I'm not being "holier then thou", and you know that (I sell panties on the internet, for f*** sake :D ) The fact that you claim to be into SEO to "help the search engines", is ridiculous.

ViciousSummer, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  8. PRBot.Com

PRBot.Com Guest

Best Answers:
    What is ridiculous is how oblivious you are.

SEO is good for search engines and anyone with half a brain can see why.

After all, that is the whole idea behind PageRank. read Google's paper for crying out loud. or better yet, stick to selling panties.

PRBot.Com, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    At the very least, that depends on how you define "SEO", I guess. But let's be honest: The point of SEO is to help the webmaster rank better, not to help the search engine.

Hmmm... I must have missed the part about SEO being "the whole idea behind PageRank" in that paper....

minstrel, Oct 2, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  10. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a professional SEO. I wok for a web development company and it ismy job to go ou and research new techniques, technologies and partners in order to improve a client's rankings.

If I take part in a link exchange, or drop lots of keywords into a page, or use cloaking software, I am manipulating the results.

Fact.

This isn't a bad thing, it just means that instead of allowing Google to choose one of our clients competitor sites, I MAKE it choose my clients.

Now, if that isn't manipulation, I don't know what is.

Manipulation is just a word. Just like SEO is a phrase. What you ;label it as makes no difference, it all ends up producing the same results (Hopefully ;))

SEbasic, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  11. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct.

SEO = Search Engine Optimization = optimizing for search engines = manipulation of the search engines.

They are all words that are synonomous with one another.

Dodger, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    How did I miss this "one of the greatest of all time threads"? I have Minstrel and Foxy hammering me, VS and Compar hammering each other and Ronnie Dodger Pimping his ass off.

Ronnie, did the Beatles and Led Zeppelin play on your front lawn, cus I got hip watching the Mod Squad also in addition to watching and listening to rock bands.

Yes there is a lot of money in pimping, there is also a lot of money in selling cocaine. That does not mean that we all do underhanded things to rank our sites (gray market SEO).

I think a lot of this talk is exactly that, in addition, the SE's are looking for link scams and what may get you ranked today may ban your sites tomorrow.

Now Yahoo is removing Adsense publishers from the Search Index by what some folks are saying.

Where does all this crap take the industry?

This is going to be fun :eek:

anthonycea, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  13. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Crap, of course not. They jammed in my garage like any other normal up and coming rock band.

Sheesh. Were do you come up with this stuff. Front lawns. ;)

Dodger, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Tell Minstrel I will get him back one day for saying Compar and I have no money :D

15. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Tell him yourself. He is right here.

Dodger, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well just mention to him that when kneeling before Larry and Sergey, if his knees get sore I have a few sets of knee pads I can Federal Express him.

Can you supply his street address since I can not send them to a PO Box?

17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe some of you should read what this lady writes about, the engines are hip to a lot of the crap SEO's try and that could be a great reason for results moving around.

http://www.clickz.com/experts/search/results/article.php/3370051

Link farms will be destroyed, buying and selling links is all right, (I would not deal with anyone that advertises the service) they will find a way to identify and punish many of the brokers and their sites.

18. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Tell him yourself. He is right here.

Dodger, Oct 2, 2004 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip Ronnie, tell Minstrel to please come back, I am not mad at him in any way.

I think he is my best friend on the forum circuit right now :rolleyes:

20. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Too much sex, drugs, and rock and roll while you were watching mod squad and listening to led zeppelin, i guess. Gotta exercise those burned out brain cells more often, anthonycea. :) This week has been the week of weeks across many forums with SEOs duking it out. Has made for an interesting show.

dazzlindonna, Oct 2, 2004 IP