1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

OK to promise +rep for link?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by miko67, Jul 9, 2007.

I noticed another thread somewhere, some guy offering to rep you if you would do him a favor... Got me wondering.

• Does anybody have a problem with this, ethically, morally?
    • Is it OK bye the (rather) strict rules of behaviour in DP forum to swap rep for favors (sexually or web-mastering-wise :p )?
    • Do we still redrep anybody who (accidentally) put a rep in their posts?
    Just trying to stay afloat of the current affairs in DP-life.

PS: For a long time I thought people meant DP when they talked about 2nd.life... turned out it was just me being geeky.

/miko67

miko67, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  2. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ethically and morally I think it devalues the rep system - it dilutes the trustworthiness of higher rep members. Whereas members previously 'earned their spurs' by giving useful answers over a long period of time they can now just give away a freebie and get a shedload of rep.

The practice of rep-swapping isn't specifically forbidden by the *written* rules, probably because it would take so much effort to police.

CountryBoy, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  3. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i agree entirely with country boy..it entirely negates out the meaning of Rep..which is for a good contribution to the forum..

swapping them for stumbles etc..just erodes their worth..but thats going on a lot recently..also with itraders..

syedwasi87, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  4. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also I realized this about a year ago, when you work within the rules as they are - albeit not within the ethical lines as they might evolve to - you run the risk of suffering a change-of-rule that takes effect back in time, and now all of a sudden you get infractions or bans or loads of redrep for something that was within the published set of rules at the time the actions took place.

I suppose we need some MOD authority to say whether they think it (lets call it rep-swapping) is within a reasonable frame of conduct, one that will not suddenly be out-ruled... mind you, an affirmation of this could start an avalanche.

/miko67

miko67, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  5. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's like ascking for free stuff

It doesn't cost anything to rep

Anyway plain stupid but i get used to some stupid people

w3bmaster, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  6. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Freebies section is like a little rep fest. Ah well, they will have to do shit loads of favours to get anywhere :D

mightyb, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  7. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Three things I don't get from your post webmaster:

1. "It doesn't cost anything" --><-- "..like asking for free stuff." Isn't this a bit contradictory?
    2. What's wrong with asking for free stuff? If it was up to you, you could say "no way". But it's not is it? So, what's eating you?
    3. What's with the condescending tone? Do you have to start calling names? Or was it just a generalization when you were making us aware of your ability to be with a certain kind of personage... I didn't get it.

Finally I'll risk my neck and suggest that maybe you read my posts as an attempt to ask permission to do something (rep-swapping)...
    If this is so, I have to say that is not a thorough reading. I wanted a debate and more clarity on the subject for two reasons. One: I notice how some players get an awful lot of rep very fast (unnaturally fast one might suggest), Two: I have seen players start offering rep like this for different favors. Obviously this is not acts that I have been indulging previously, nor have I the rep for doing it with any success. Finally I (quite clearly) haven't been party to any rep swapping schemes.

So excuse me for wanting rather to hear what people have to say than what you do not want to talk about (in the open?)

/miko67

miko67, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  8. anions

anions Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let me be inarticulate and get to the point

It's not illegal.
    It's not ethical either.
    But I think you already know this.
    Does that mean I'm wasting my time?
    Apparently I'm too lazy to put my keyboard away.

anions, Jul 9, 2007 IP