1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How often do you write for yourself?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by zac439, Jul 7, 2007.

I know most copywriters are looking for a nice sum of cash- and never really get around to writing for themselves.

My question is, how many articles do you write for yourself (such as a blog or website), as compared to customers?

I myself write at least once a week, up to a few times each week. And that's about 3%-8% of what I write so it isn't a big number :)

zac439, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  2. Analyst

Analyst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Three to four articles

Analyst, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  3. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Probably around the same amount as you, 3-8%, but not on the same frequency. I update my personal blog about twice a week but all my other personal work is sporadic.

I need to do a lot more work for myself. At least 25% of my total writing load should be stuff I'm doing for my personal business.

latoya, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  4. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All the time buddy. :D

The percent doesn't matter. That's the "failure logic" creeping into your business. You know the one: work more, make more. Wrong.

It's not the time you spend or the stuff you do, it's the quality.

Write less, make more.

marketjunction, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  5. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm currently working on a book that seeks to scientifically prove the existence of God through the mathematical values of zero and infinity (most people, particularly scientists and philosophers, have written materials to prove otherwise, right?). I work on the elements of the book during Sundays right after I spend time with my family and friends. The rest of the week is solely for business and family-related purposes.

I do hope the book can actually prove the existence of God through such theoretical values, and I'm also looking forward to people that can debunk my thesis obviously through a scientific anti-thesis (I'm proving God's existence through these mathematical values and universal concepts such as the Principle of Uncertainty, matter and energy being the same thing, space and time being on the same coin but represent each opposing side, etc., so prove me wrong by proving working theories unacceptable!). Anyway, I'm actually doing this for myself since I don't want to sell even 50% of a single word on the book, but I do want at least 50% of the people that are interested on the concepts discussed on the book to have free access to my book. I want to publish the book on an upcoming website of mine dedicated to the hard sciences, technology, and philosophy plus societal and individual psychology together with religious ideals.

ZeroInfinity, Jul 8, 2007 IP
    Ajeet and Analyst like this.
  6. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Amazing! I would love to see that when you're done!

That will truly be the next internet wonder :)

zac439, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  7. Analyst

Best Answers:
    I've been reading your posts for some days back and found some philosophical touches in the writings, but I was really unaware of the real Philosopher in you. Now let me clarify whom I call a real Philosopher, 'One who has good command over abstract thinking along with rational and scientific analysis'.

Though I'm having hard time with my stringent schedules, but I'd love to have a read of what you've written so far. I probably won't be able to develop an anti thesis, but I'm sure my views and the scientific proofs I've about the existence of God will have some connections with your analytical reports.

Regards,

Analyst, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  8. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    Exactly my point about writing for myself - the time you together with not even a hundreth of the world populace's .01% spend reading through my mind would be enough reason for me to keep writing for myself. My mind doesn't need to be an "internet wonder", it just needs to satisfy itself: it doesn't need to sell - it just needs to plug itself into other heads without these people consciously knowing about it. If these people find the book useful - great, otherwise - it would still be good to know that some people still have time for themselves. My mind is a loony bin, yes, but a rational basketcase would probably be most likely.

Anyway, I'll be more than glad to send you a copy once I complete the first phase of the book. I'll even bundle a short article on "how to own the Internet by creating an Internet within the Internet" with the book. I've just noticed your blog sig, and I should probably tell you that I play bass for an underground post metal core (basically noise) act here in my country.

9. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great, I like to meet fellow guitar players. My blog that you speak of is actually what takes up my "for me" work. No bass stuff there, so you probably wouldn't see it as too great.

Do you have a blog or website I could see? You are very intelligent. I'd love to learn more about what you have to say.

zac439, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  10. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    I would definitely love to show you the first phase of the book once I've completed it, but I'm a bit edgy about allowing people to read the first phase of the book since I believe the sum of the whole cannot be entirely grasped by reading even 90% of the entire book. But I would want you to show me your related work since I in fact search for related materials that could prove to be very helpful for both the book and my mind. Thanks.

11. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
    Your recent blog post was very useful for me - I'm currently experimenting on using guitar distortion-overdrive pedals for my bass since I need a Flea-sounding slap&pop output that's slightly distorted/overdriven that would make it more metal(literally)-sounding, but it should also have resonating bass (for deep thumping sounds and fingerstyle licks) and treble (for the metal effect) output - can this be done with a digital multi-effects device for bass guitars?

Anyway, my website is solely for business purposes, and I just do "ghost blogging" as of the time being for clients. But I'll let you know once the website I'm planning to set up has been launched. Thanks for the compliment, and more so for your interest in what I'm doing.

12. Analyst

Best Answers:
    That's good! Well, here's the link to the Philosophy Section of my blog where you can see some of my posts, not exactly related to your work, but you can have an overview of my abstract thinking.

Edit:- The recent post in this section contains some local terms (in Urdu) so please check the glossary (given below the post) before reading the post.

Regards,

Analyst, Jul 8, 2007 IP
    ZeroInfinity likes this.
  13. chatterboxwriting

chatterboxwriting Peon

Best Answers:
    I very rarely get to write for myself. I do a lot of client work and then the rest of my time is filled with invoicing, paying bills, etc. I am working on a huge PLR article set right now, but it is slow-going because I only have time for 2 or 3 a day around my client work. I'd be making a lot more money if I made more time to write for myself.

chatterboxwriting, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  14. kerigirl

kerigirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I interview web designers for Design Interviews blog. I usually post two interviews per week with my colleague posting the other two. I rarely wrote posts or texts as it want' our focus, but now that we're changing our concept a little, I have to write up to 2 post per week which is fine with me as I have the whole bunch of other work with this website. Other than that, writing is fun.

kerigirl, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  15. Nikks

Nikks Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite an interesting topic

Nikks, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  16. sepiaghostie

sepiaghostie Peon

Best Answers:
    As of now I do not have the time to write for myself. I work even on the weekends and most of the times, through the night during weekdays. I had, however, conceptualized a fictional novel already. My mind does not analyze philosophically like Analyst's or Zero's, but rather psychologically. Hence, my book will delve into the human mind and focus on topics which are so real, a reader would not just be able to visualize them, but see them, taste them, and feel them. Or at least, I would like to think so.

sepiaghostie, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  17. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a few of my own websites I'm building slowly. My writing time is already conflicting with taking care of a toddler and a newborn, so it's limited.

Client work pays the bills now, so it is the majority of my writing. I do know that getting my own sites up and running will be much more profitable in the long run, but that requires more time and marketing energy than I have to dedicate to it at the moment (unfortunately.)

I try to update my blogs at least 1-2 times per week. I'm also going to be doing quite a bit of work (distribution articles and blog entries) to promote my husband's updated site: www.fadoo.net. With any luck, HE'LL be paying all the bills soon, and I can spend my writing time in any manner I wish! :)

Rebecca

internetauthor, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  18. lkj

lkj Peon

Best Answers:
    I do write mostly very technical stuff and ask my editor to fix the grammar errors & sentence structure, if required.
    General stuff is always outsourced, unless I am not lazy to write something myself {usually not}.

lkj, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  19. KMKM

KMKM Peon

Best Answers:
    Woah! Nice dude. I would love to see it.
    Send me as soon as you make it.

Regards,
    ~KMKM

P.S. :- I am an Atheist

P.S.2 :- Atheist will be an atheist :p

:D :D :D

KMKM, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  20. Hamish Jones

Hamish Jones Peon

Best Answers:
    I do a lot of blog posts and niche articles for some of my hobbies I am trying to monetise, more if I do not have many projects on at the time.

Hamish Jones, Jul 14, 2007 IP