1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it ok to move listings

Discussion in 'Directories' started by choice, Jul 8, 2007.

What do you guys think about moving listings

i.e you change your mind about accepting top level cat submissions and decide to move them to inner cats

Situation 1) No cats have pr
    Situation 2) Top level has higher pr than inner ones

choice, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  2. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    If its to be done its supposed to be done from start. From Day 1 say no to top level listing.

If you are implementing this rules now, then you gotta keep the existing top level listings as they are and make a rule no the submit page you no longer allow top level or lock top level submissions.

According to your situations:

1) No Cats have PR doesn't matter I will submit authority sites to them during PR development so inner also get PR.

2) I will allow only Featured on them or no listing so that they pass PR to inner categories.

humm, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  3. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is some thing i am only considering as 90% off the top level links where submitted within the last week

chances are i will not change anything just thought i would get some views on it

choice, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  4. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don’t see any problem moving listings, however I do state in my Guide Lines “I reserve the right to change the category of any listed site.”

Unless the submission depended on acceptant in a said category, IE: I have asked before paying for submissions that my link will be listed in a certain place.

Having said this, if a submitter was unhappy with the move I would give full refund.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  5. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess there is no harm in moving the listing if you make it clear why are you moving them. I even move Featured submission to subcategory when i had to.
    (I just did one few mins ago ;))

Its always better to sent the submitter a not letting them know you have moved it. And certainly if he is not happy, you always have the option to refund.

Fastian, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  6. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have this on my submission page...
    However, even though that is clearly stated, I would think long and hard before moving any regular submission.

On my submission page for featured is this...
    In that case I would move it in the blink of an eye when the year is up...

Just my opinion...

pctec, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  7. SEOdir.net

SEOdir.net Banned

Best Answers:
    I will start with that after PR update.
    But it is not OK when you move someone listing to other category, it is something like "you buy cola and you got water".
    So I will leave all currently listings and then dont accept any new listings.

SEOdir.net, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  8. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If they paid extra for top category submission, then I would not move those listings. Example, if all top category submissions are featured links.

Velocity, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  9. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:

"you buy cola and you got water"
    :D well said! ;)

humm, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  10. SEOdir.net

SEOdir.net Banned

Best Answers:
    That was just an example :p

11. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    if i decided to do it lets get one thing straight

they are currently on a pr0 page and would move to a pr0 page

choice, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  12. SEOdir.net

SEOdir.net Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes thats truth, the one thing that is different is the pr, you can move to other category but if the pr is the same inside etc... :)

13. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Personally i go on the presumption that PR isnt everything (cause it isn't)... so ultimately if you get moved to a deep page (when your in a strongish directory) its highly likely that the directory is well indexed so your not going to loose too much from the move... you might even gain something!

sabian1982, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  14. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My view is that if a directory has strong editorial control, listings should be put in the categories where they fit best. If you modify your cat structure (expanding it to accommodate growth in an existing cat, for example), listings should be moved accordingly.

While this might upset folks who are worried about PR, in the long run, I think it benefits everyone as listings end up being grouped with other listings that are more related to them. This helps increase the hub factor for a category and creates a stronger association for any given listing with it's topic.

Bernard, Jul 8, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  15. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree totally with what Bernard said.

Besides, if you shift things around you will most often be narrowing down a category more tightly to topic, i.e. from say "Pets" to "Hamsters" - which in the long run would make a more topical page and should count for more SEO-wise anyway.

Regardless of PR, if your TOS says that paid featured means top category, your TOS contractually obligates you to leave it in place.

YMC, Jul 8, 2007 IP
    Bernard likes this.
  16. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have to agree with Bernard; as categories grow, it's likely they'll come a time when you need to sort the existing listings into subcategories to make your directory more usable.

Recently, I've seen directories reorganize categories, create new subcategories and moved listings accordingly - and I have no problems with my listing being moved.

Paying for inclusion within an index doesn't necessarily mean you're paying for a link on a specific page. If someone's looking for text links, there's better places than directories.

CReed, Jul 8, 2007 IP
    choice and maldives like this.
  17. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    From Day #1 i made a rule - no submission to top level categories.
    Also made a rule in my directory saying your listings can be moved anytime by our editors so if you are unhappy about it, let me know and iam ready to refund you!

amitpatel_3001, Jul 8, 2007 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.