1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Review "Bunnies!:" a whole new spin on Web 2.0

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by KalvinB, Jul 6, 2007.

http://bunnies.dawnofthegeeks.com:2004/

There are actually two parts to this project. The first part is the game "Bunnies!" which is a first person shooter. The goal is to shoot beachballs at the bunnies until they're all gone. The bunnies multiply every 20 seconds or so. If the bunny counter gets to 100, you lose.

It's written in Java and will run in your browser with the included HTML file.

The second part is the web-site, which I'd like reviewed:

Using the web-site, users are able to upload images and create and manage maps for the game. It's essentially a web-based map editor using AJAX along with Scriptaculous and Prototype. There are no limits on the number of images you can upload or the number of maps you can create.

I'd like to know what you think of the idea as well as what you think of the site. What you like, what you don't and what's missing.

All together, these two projects make use of

Java, Javascript, HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL.

KalvinB, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  2. zan23

zan23 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great concept, I like the idea of user-generated maps.

In Firefox 1024x768 resolution, part of the image of the bunny is covered by the main text area. Not sure if that was intended, but I suspect that this won't happen at higher resolutions.

Also, on the downloads page, there is a lot of blank area on the right hand side.

zan23, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  3. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    The concept is good but the design is hardly web 2.0 :( I would recommend having a look at samples of web 2.0 and applying those design features into your site's layout.

8everything, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  4. gibex

gibex Active Member

Best Answers:
    can't open your site...

gibex, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  5. Katy

Katy Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    You need to improve the look. The bunny is cute, but your top menu needs work. Try adding some style to the content links and try changing the topbar to something other than grey.

The good thing is that your layout is div based and clean. So, good luck with your site! :)

Katy, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  6. jdenver

jdenver Peon

Best Answers:
    The site takes forever to load. Most people will close it out in that kind of time.

jdenver, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  7. lilly28

lilly28 Peon

Best Answers:
    I like everything except that top nav bar, it doesn't go with the rest of the site and looks dull. Maybe rounded - lighter colored buttons would look better?
    I am on dial up and it took about 10 secs to load. I like the bunny :)

lilly28, Jul 7, 2007 IP
    Fret-Less likes this.
  8. johnvevo

johnvevo Guest

Best Answers:
    i like ur rabbit pic!! very very cute.
    why ur site havn't site name.

johnvevo, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  9. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, i'm not really feeling it at all either. definitely not a "whole new spin on web 2.0" or however you put it. that idea is nice though the approach to it isn't a nice :)

ansi, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  10. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Design is always last. Functionality comes first. It is a new spin because it merging web 2.0 with game development. 2.0 is typically just social.

KalvinB, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  11. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    2.0 has nothing to do with social. it's more about making the web perform more like a desktop application. somehow the "shiney" look nade it's way into the mix. as for design being last, the design should always come first. this way there is a blueprint to work from and achieve the final result that you expect. code for your design, dont design for your code.

ansi, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  12. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you actually created an account and tried out all the features of the site? Or are you just judging it on the lack of a "shiney" look? It is a web-based application and you'd know that if you'd actually try out the site.

I don't think you really understand all that "design" encompasses. "design" covers the graphics, the organization of the layout and the organization of the pages themselves. As well as the organization of the code itself.

So which part of the design are you telling me I need to organize my code around?

Have you even logged in to see how the actual application part of the site is laid out and functions?

When it comes to building web-sites the graphics, the fine tuning of page organization and the color choices are the last to be addressed.

KalvinB, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  13. robin_1323

robin_1323 Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmm.... took 1 min to open ur site ... design/look is not good.....

robin_1323, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  14. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that could be the reason that it looks the way it does. but then again, what do i know right.

ansi, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  15. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    One of these days I'll invest in a faster server for these sorts of things. Right now the server is used more for proof of concept work. Things can run a bit slow but I have all the resources and flexibility I need.

KalvinB, Jul 10, 2007 IP