1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Maybe Content isnt King

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by jdeeze, Jul 6, 2007.

I have over 5000 words of unqiue content and i am buried in the SERPs. The #1 Website for that niche has 200 words of nothing , I mean having great quality articles or pages people will naturally link to you, but the same goes for the person who is at the top. Maybe buying links is the solution :eek::eek:

jdeeze, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  2. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Probably buying links is the solution ... but if your website is 10 days old don't expect to rank ....

iatbm, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  3. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How long has the #1 site been #1? Also, content is only part of SEO. Don't count on people linking to you because of unique content.

BlueDevilMedia, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  4. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    Content adds value in services that can use content.

Smart marketing is king, because it build branding, links, and money!

At one time I spent all my time on building links and content. I spent days telling people SEO was your #1, now of days SEO is only 2% of my biz, because seo is almost natural with simple marketing.

l3vi, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  5. jdeeze

jdeeze Peon

Best Answers:
    so what is the best way to market your product then?

jdeeze, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  6. TxDon

TxDon Active Member

Best Answers:
    It would depend on what the product is.

But since you asked in an Internet Forum, I'm guessing it's a online product or service.

I've been successful by combining SEO techniques to my pages, writing relevent content about the products I'm selling and Networking on the Internet.

Good content will get other people to link to you. Having hundreds, if not thousands, of links spread out over the Internet on websites and blogs that are relevent to your product is key.

Don't expect it to happen overnight though. Many times when you see a content challenges page ranking above yours it could be because of it's age or backlinks to that page, or both. Don't sweat it. Just Network with other Website and Blog owners and add links to your site.

For example, you shouldn't worry about getting links from a Gaming site if you're selling Kitchen gadgets. Not to say that Gamers don't cook, but they don't go to Gaming sites to search for ads on Kitchen Gadgets. Now, if you have a link to your Kitchen gadgets on a site like About.com in their cooking section, then you're doing something.

Probably the fastest way to increase sales that I know of is by building a list of targeted opt in email addresses, or buying them. I prefer building, but if your product or service is good, then you can take a short cut and buy the list. Just be careful where you buy them.

TxDon

TxDon, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  7. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of ways to go around marketing it’s a skill in itself. My best advice is to think of marketing like fishing, except you want your marketing to leave the hook and line (links) in the water after each deal without having to continue to pay for it to stay in the water.

For each service you’re always going to have T&E to learn what works for that market or your marketing style.

For example in my last post I talked about reviewme. Did you know they had a lot of beta tester. They really did not need them, but dumping in beta testers with names that some or most of us know, almost gave them a guaranteed write-up by the person when it launched, additionally they paid for reviews for the first month or so, to get the word out even more.

That set the line and got the service off to a great start. In the past I have used simple a teaser pages, beta tester, launch day discounts with email signup so market services on the pop.

Marketing is about making news that other people want to write about, because the truth is they have nothing to write about till someone hands it to them, or they go find something to say, that someone has already written about and that makes them 2nd best.

If you’re not launching, you need to find way to build news that is worthy of talking about. For example in your sig I see you have a “B*v*rly H*lls H**lth Insur*nce” (starts put in to stop forums from ranking for your keyword). Ask yourself could you write a report with “data” that shows how much people are spending each month on insurance in that area, or how many people are filing claims in that area? After that go poach it to some bloggers, or include it in a press release.

News papers and blogs love to quote data like this, they also love to hear about how some people or companies are bilking customers or the insurance companies out of millions. That’s news, and you’re the source that’s simply markets to build links and traffic.

Just remember when people talk about stuff online they have to give a link to what they are talking about, just like referencing a company or persons name in the offline world.

Giving away money or running paid ads may get you a little bit of love, but in the end data, nifty information, service, etc gets peoples attention, and links.

Registerfly right out sucks, however they where king of domains for a long time. This is because they spent much of their time just marketing. From 2hr or 24hr discounts, to new service they found ways to keep putting their name on your plate and building links.

If you want to really learn marketing that works, just watch your TV and see the stuff that makes you go hmm.. that’s interesting!

l3vi, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  8. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    ps.. if you can not find something to market your product about, you better improve it or shut it down, because if you cant its not a good biz!

l3vi, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  9. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With Google, quality of content is certainly not important.

dnk, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  10. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    inbound link is the queen, and king and queen should be together to have a peaceful country. so get more inbound links.

toby, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  11. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Content without backlinks is nothing

In my opinion backlinks are the most important factor

w3bmaster, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  12. Gatorade

Gatorade Peon

Best Answers:
    You need many good links to rank well. However you get them is totally up to you. Just be careful when buying them.

Gatorade, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  13. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    No ****. content isn't king; rankings and serps are king. Content is a crutch. You use content to try to convert the visitor.

To get serps, get links.

but you have to be realistic. For some topics getting good rankigns will be very hard if not impossible.

IamNed, Jul 6, 2007 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  14. jdeeze

jdeeze Peon

Best Answers:
    I like how you put it. I never actually thought about it this way. I have become so caught up in this forum, I seem to be doing what everyone else is doing. So essentially smart, innovative, different ideas are the best ways to get those coveted backlinks. I think i am just scratching the surface of this internet world, as I only have websites that have adsense on there. I honestly need to change my approach with the way I do things.

My thing is this I do keyword research and I see people looking for a particular word in a niche. What i usually do is sum up information from all over on that topic and make it one, Thats good and dandy but what else could I offer. Eg. I have a website on green apples and I get all the bits and pieces from the internet and make one big article or informational source on green apples, what next? How do I step outside of the limited information I have and offer something more, somethign unique? I think I am going off course, but I hope you get
    my drift

jdeeze, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  15. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:

I’m really happy to see that you took the time to really read my post.

99% of people will pay no mind to it, and end up being like the 80% of webmasters that are just getting by on their online projects, and not learning that you can make millions if you just take the time to build a great service that does not act, smell, of feel like the last website your customer was on.

Here is the thing. Even if you’re building a website or opening the next 7-Eleven, you’re running a business. There is nothing that will make one easier than the other, they are just a business. With any business you have to say what is going to make my product get customers attention, and remember me.

Take a minute to think about any store or food chain and ask yourself what makes them work and what does not. If you start comparing all the companies that are success you will start to see a pattern. Each one of these companies has a theme, something that pulls in customers.

Some companies like Wal-Mart market on “happy” and “low prices”, while others focus on high quality, or something so crazy that it makes you wonder why people even go to eat at the place because the theme is just a little to much over the top.

This is the thing that drives business, they have something that keeps them on your mind when you see them, and may give you a good feeling the next time you are looking to go get x item or food.

[Site note on low prices: I know many people love to take this route because its easy. don’t take it too far, or forever. You will become an industry killer, and not only hurt yourself, but your competitors and the industry in the long run. You can find this in any industry that is priced to the floor, because people keep on under pricing each other till they killed the industry].

I know your hoping I’m going to be able to give you some ideas for stuff like the “green apples” project, however I will not be able to tell you how to make that business model better, just like I would not be able to tell this forum or any other webmaster what to do in their business, because I’m not into their business.

However what you need to do is sit-down, and look at your keywords, look at your service and say to yourself, what are my customers really looking for?

Are they just looking for information, or are they looking for a product. Can some type of software help them with what they are trying to learn or can I start an email newsletter that will bring items of interest to their attention.

We each have our own way of running a business. Personally I’m a programmer of 20 years, so I love to develop online software like my keyword research service.
    This is because I knew I had the money to startup a top of the line keyword research service, and I also have/had great ideas for innovative keyword tools and could make them at the same time.

Because of this I was successful at launching the service and grow it to be rated in the top best 3 keyword research tools in a recent poll by toprankblog.com

For you and your business you need to look at it the same way. You need to ask what do my customers need, and what can I do to make my product better than the people that are already doing this?

If you answer this, and are able to bring the ideas to the table you will find the success, and links that you want!

I could go on and on, about all the ways one can make a business really work, and really dive deep into the logic of building websites that automatically make money, but that would fill a book or three.

But at minimum make yourself standout in the crowed of websites, and if you don’t know how to do that with one service, move on to the next idea. Because even I have hundreds of ideas a year, but I only follow up on one or none of them each year!

l3vi, Jul 6, 2007 IP
    jdeeze likes this.