1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Submission Reward - $1K

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by rbfallon, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    hahah indeed!

Shoemoney, Oct 3, 2005 IP
  2. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    oo, good posts minstrel, bravo! amusing to see you demanding more courtesy from people that actually do something worthwhile, voluntary and generous, whilst you make that demand amongst a blaze of useless one-liner sniping posts.

the $1000 would have been much better spent improving the site. People's priorities are so messed up.

bradley, Oct 10, 2005 IP
    Birdie likes this.
  3. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can bid upto $1500, Along with monthly allowances. Looks like dmoz editorship worth more than any other high paid salary in the world.

seoindia, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting. This is the third little "sniping post" from Bradley this morning, two of them aimed at me personally. Interesting that they all reveal him to exemplify the very things about most DMOZ editors that all those "sniping posts" from me and others have been about.

Do you really expect people to believe that your motivation is altruistic and noble? Look at your avatar -- that pretty much says it all.

Did my posts strike a nerve somewhere, Lord Bradley? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  5. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really, I've only been editing for a few days now - there's no 'nerve' (yet?) there to hit since DMOZ hasn't got a place in my heart. I just find it a bit silly to see you wasting your time - and others' - with contentless, abusive posts about something you appear to have little understanding of. They're offensive to a good-natured, impressive project that people have devoted countless hours to in a truly altruistic effort to improve. It's so easy to be outside pissing in, isn't it?

I became an editor because I use ODP fairly often and was annoyed a category was going unedited. I did that, instead of going around forums preaching how bad it is just because there's already a big crowd of people to agree with the slightest criticism - well founded or not - because they haven't had their spam-filled scraper site or ten-member hundred-post forum included. I run forums as a hobby, not a business, so adding rivals really doesn't bother me - people should be given the freedom of choice, so I want to make sure that every site that meets the standards for that category is in it. Being an editor is a hell of a lot of work, I can understand that for people who make money from sites there may be a motivation to edit from purely selfish motives. No doubt it happens, but if you suspect it, report it! That kind of behaviour runs counter to the foundations of the ODP's aims and aspirations, and I can't imagine it being tolerated too kindly! It's a more mature and helpful thing to do.

Re. the whole 'power trip' thing, that's pseudopsychology - at best. As for reading into my personality from my avatar, i suggest you do less of that in future if you care about correctly interpreting the tone and content of people's posts. Especially when you fail to spot obvious jokes.

As with any project, there are plenty of flaws. That doesn't mean attitudes like 'dmoz is dead' etc are at all fair, well-informed or true! Firefox just went through a spate of security flaws, and yet it remains a better alternative to Internet Explorer. Should people go around on forums posting 'firefox is rubbish, don't use it, the developers (unpaid) have put security holes in it'?? No, of course not. Open your eyes to what is a very good and impressive resource, and a great example of altruistic hard work, to present a better alternative to other methods of finding sites than directories you have to pay to be in, or automatically accept submissions, or search engines that return listings that include countless pages of spam. DMOZ is hugely undervalued. Certainly, criticising it with the rabid fervour you display is highly irrational, and fairly petty, too.

bradley, Oct 13, 2005 IP
    William Martin likes this.
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your comments, Lord Bradley.

On reflection, however, I have elected to ignore both your opinion and your advice. I'm sure you will understand my reasons for this.

Have a nice, if probably pointless, day. :)

minstrel, Oct 13, 2005 IP
    Roman likes this.
  7. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    I really wonder... My wife applied as volunteer for this section: http://dmoz.org/Regional/Africa/Travel_and_Tourism/Travel_Services/Travel_Agencies/

Her background:
    PHD in education - native language English
    Travel Agent since 1982 (23 years)
    We owned several travel agencies in Africa and we organized tons of tours, safaris.. we spent over 10years there (we loved it)

Reply from DMOZ (not exactly the words but the meaning is there)
    - bad spelling / poor English
    - not enough background in Travel services
    - not enough background about Africa

Honestly, I really wonder :)

plmerlin, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  8. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    that's a real pity, looks like DMOZ could use a person like her! are you sure that's what the reply was? Because it seems unnecessarily demanding for a small category like that. Sounds odd. There are plenty of other directories to edit for though, if the motives really are altruistic then it shouldn't matter who it's for. Try JoeAnt, for example.

bradley, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  9. Dan

Dan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I submitted about 10 sites over a year ago in various categories... Got one in after about 6 months... Still waiting on the others!?!?!?!

Dan, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  10. bulsworth

bulsworth Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree with plmerlin. I applied to be an editor for a las vegas travel section of dmoz and was rejected. It was a small section too with less than 100 listings. I think around 40. It was some generic bs rejection email.

As for my background, I worked for an las vegas travel website for almost 2 years doing product merchandising, online marketing and so-on. I have lived in las vegas for almost 3 years. I am no longer with that company, but have an very detailed knowledge of this city.

bulsworth, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  11. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I believe that competency and subject matter expertise are both disqualifiers.

Will.Spencer, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  12. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you mean that for the African travel section my dear wife should make the following request:

I'm a used car sell woman and never left my apartment building and since this morning I had no ideas that Africa was a continent so I'm really interested by editing this Dmoz section.

darn... I for got the badd spellyn.

plmerlin, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  13. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    If these were the reasons given I would like to ask you to file an abuse report as 2 out of them should not be a reason for rejection (poor English is a valid reason, don't know if it was for this application).
    But maybe you have misunderstood the reasons given. What were the exact words?

pagode, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  14. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I got a red for my last post in this topic.

This is funny to me, because it shows the incredibly pathetic English skills of DMOZ editors.

UR? U? sumthing? What language is this person speaking?

Wow. :cool:

Will.Spencer, Oct 14, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  15. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    LOL, explains some of the misspells in the listings ;)

Blogmaster, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Thank you Minnie, if it wasn't for you ...

edit: I actually mean that, but it's not like I'm the only one who misspells by using that particular misspelling.

Blogmaster, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  18. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, you crack me up!

Alucard, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  19. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like some version of SMS Slang to me.

Alucard, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  20. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Minstrel is actually a closet editor. He is just to embarrassed to come out of the closet yet.

debunked, Oct 14, 2005 IP