1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google seems to be dancing

Discussion in 'Google' started by SERPalert, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Which forums? I haven't seen anything related to a dance at the forums I have visited

fryman, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    TheHoff, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    37 pages of junk posts that can translate as what some people here have said: nothing but normal serps movement

The problem is when someone posts something dumb like oh, I just dropped from #4 to #8, oh my god!! Google is dancing!! Get ready, there is going to be a PR update tomorrow!!! Take cover, the sky is falling!!

fryman, Oct 12, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's been pretty much my take too these past few days, Fryman. Another tempest in a teapot :rolleyes:

minstrel, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I've been watching using McDar's tool for the past few days. Nothing at all until today and then today a few minor ripples -- hardly a "Dance".

minstrel, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  6. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    I was wondering why my traffic from Google decreased a couple days ago. It's not a huge decrease, but definitely noticeable.

mystikmedia, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  7. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    I'm certainly seeing something across about half the data centers. There seems to be a high correlation between coop weight pointing at pages and drops in rankings on my site. Weird. I hope it doesn't stick.

mnemtsas, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  8. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    is it just me or is it just tweaking of existing filters? I mean, not all industries have been affected (such as mine. Haven't moved much at all)

relixx, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  9. soul-healer

soul-healer Peon

Best Answers:
    If my memory is good i can recall i read on this forums that if you have drop in SERPs when the update are happening at datacenters than you come up really strong after few days.

soul-healer, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  10. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but just because the "dance" didn't effect you doesn't mean that there wasn't some big movement around the datacentres. Obviously this isn't the same dancing as a year or two ago, but there was certainly some large reshuffling going on.

I've owned #1 for "vbulletin skins" for over a year. My site has never moved, fluxed, twitched, or dropped once from the top spot. For the past few days, almost half the DC's showed my site at #4 for the same phrase. I've also been top 5 for "vbulletin" for a similar amount of time.. never moved, twitched, or fluxed once out of the top 5. Suddenly, not even in the top 100. That is major movement for a site that is two years old has been stable for a year. Now, as the datacentres have re-synced, the listings are back where they should be.

You can read similar examples all over the web from the past few days. Just because it didn't hit you doesn't mean it didn't happen.

TheHoff, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  11. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Also a lot of talk at SEOChat

Update or no Update, Dance or no Dance, there is still some irregular movement.

You can't go by if a few people aren't affected, it means it doesn't exist. I saw no change through Bourbon, that doesn't mean nothing happened

If you haven't been affected, no one is forcing you to post. I typically ignore these threads when it doesn't impact me in any way.

yfs1, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  12. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought Google Dance was like Rain Dance for Better Serps.

I have been dancing for the last 3 days and my feet are tired. Can I stop yet?

ps I just skimmed over the SEOChat thread, and it seems the general consensus there is Recip Links are unnatural, too bad that is 100% wrong. I am not sure why people continue to act like Recip linking is unnatural. It is actually extremely natural in the real world.

aeiouy, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

Best Answers:
    There is a ton of noise in that thread. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with recips but thats the easy answer so a lot of the newbies and unexperienced are using that as a chance to post about it.

yfs1, Oct 13, 2005 IP
    aeiouy likes this.
  14. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been recording a major change on Datacenters
    (Two different C-Blocks)

This is for one site but I also have others showing the same phenomenon on these Datacenters.

*A* = Allinanchor ranking
    [​IMG]

Caryl

mcdar, Oct 13, 2005 IP
    aeiouy and TheHoff like this.
  15. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Just one novice's opinion:

Google is getting so large in amount of data centers, indexed pages, traffic et al, and so good at continual, on-going and real-time updates that it will soon be impossible to determine a full-swing do-si-do versus a mere two-step.

I believe yfs1 is correct and mcdar is able to substantiate this latest shuffle, but I also believe on a day is on the very near horizon where the dance will be a sock-hop marathon making it near impossible to differentiate normalcy versus a shake up.

wrmineo, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  16. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Well we are used to daily shifts of a few places on every keyword but if you look at McDars image there is a true and distinct divide between datacenters. On the affected sites, I'm not seeing a shift of just a couple of spots but instead hundreds. That is a bit more signifigant then the daily dance.

The fact that it has stayed divided between datacenters for 3+ days is what lends me to believe it is just a test which has happened before.

Patience is still key at this point but no harm in discussing it

yfs1, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  17. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh I concur yfs1, there certainly seems to be more than some normal shifting going on and that was partly my point.

The other part of it though, is simply a theory that Google will eventually have so many DCs and do so much shifting on a continual basis that it will be harder to determine; pick up the beat and tempo to the point that large movements like this one and previous ones, will seem like daily behaviour. (Well to the novices like me anyway)

wrmineo, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  18. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen/recorded this sort of phenomenon before.

I do NOT believe it is a test or tweek of Googles algorithm.

I believe that Google lost or dropped cached data used to calculate ranking. If you are one of the lucky ones effected, these datacenters will return to normal once the information is re-cached.

I also believe that this "place where the cached data was dropped/lost" is the same place that sandboxed sites await entry to. IMHO

Caryl

mcdar, Oct 13, 2005 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  19. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that time is already upon us.

Caryl

mcdar, Oct 13, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  20. minstrel