1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

whoops !

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by mnemtsas, Oct 12, 2005.

I know the coop isn't an SEO tool but there's no denying is can be used to improve rankings.

Anyway, here's an interesting observation from my main site (waaaaah!!!). Every page with any amount of coop weight pointing at it seems to have dropped considerably in the rankings across a number of Google data centers. This is not just for the keywords the coop is using either, even the naturally ranking terms with no coop weight on the page are being dropped.

Pages on my site that ranked well without the coop pointing at them are still ranking fine.

Anyone else noticing this? Of course I will wait and see what happens before i do anything or start really worrying. Even though I already am worrying :D

mnemtsas, Oct 12, 2005 IP
    dkalweit likes this.
  2. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    Thanks to the person who gave me a particularly insulting red rep point for this post. I don't mind the red rep point and the anonymous insult made my day! :D

Further to the above observation every page I had that was ranking on the basis of the coop has now tanked with the advent of the 'Jagger' update. This includes pages that ONLY had coop links pointing at them. My site is not penalised as I am still ranking quite well on pages that have regular one way and three way links pointing at them.

Draw what conclusions you will for this.

mnemtsas, Oct 19, 2005 IP
    Homer, classifieds, e10 and 1 other person like this.
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Alot of people are critisizing the coop lately, blaming it for their problems when - in reality - coop is not a common denominator in sites dropping from rankings. I've never used coop on any of my sites, nor done any major seo, and I lost rankings on ALL the keywords I was tracking.

mdvaldosta, Oct 19, 2005 IP
    fryman likes this.
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's happened with every Google update since the co-op was first introduced. :)

digitalpoint, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  5. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    Of course it has. I never said it was to coop, all I can do is post my observations, others can draw conclusions. If people don't like the observations they are welcome not to read them. Personally if it *was* the coop I don't care. After all it's not an SEO tool :)

6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Exactly what I said on another post... every update it is the same old whining...

I use the coop and my rankings are stonger than ever. The real problem is when someone uses the coop as a seo tool ( "there's no denying is can be used to improve rankings" is just a stupid way of seeing it). If Google thinks your site doesn't deserve to be listed in a good spot it is your fault and you can't go around blaming the Coop, Shawn, Google, the Pope, Katrina...

I wonder what did people use as a scapegoat before the coop existed? :rolleyes:

fryman, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  7. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Recip links:)

GuyFromChicago, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  8. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    Fryman oh great man of wisdom please point to where I said it was the coop. If you can't please crawl back under whatever rock you live under.

And by the way, if I'm going to blame Shawn for anything it's providing us with the coop, which in the last 10 months has probably netted me $80k directly. It's all your fault Shawn dammit! I want to give that money back because of the damn coop you invented.

9. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    Damn Fryman..... that is brutal.

Mnettsas,
    LMAO..... give that money to me... LMAO!!!

However, I am right there with you. All of our pages have dropped to the 7th-10th page in Google.

Let me get on the band wagon...

Damn it Shawn... It is all of your fault that MY pages dropped... what weren't you thinking... LMAO... can you not make a tool that can just adjust to Googles Algorhitm automatically.

I do use the coop for SEO purposes and for advertising purposes and I don't blame anyone for anything that happens to my site whether it is on there or not.

Venting: I still have people have 9 months of being on the first page that tell me that this is no good and blah blah blah.... tell people like that to go stick it in their ear... lol

ProductivePC, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  10. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Has anyone talked to SEO guys lately??? You wanna hear bitching, WOW! I don't sell SEO but I pretend to know what I'm doing :D. These SEO companies are in a heap of poop right now. Imagine having your entire customer base turn into a bunch of whining crying babies...all at once. They are also speculating, and the only one to blame is the SEO firm. I am sure that if they were aware of the COOP they would blame them to.

Generally, I look at the situation and say *f^#k it* I am going back to work, thank god I'm not an SEO company.

Homer, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  11. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I will tell you what, mnmetsas I am right with you. All of our keyword phrases have dropped out of Google. We are back to being on the 7th page. All I can say is if it is to be the end... it was sure nice being at the top for the last year without having to do anything...

Thanks Shawn

The reason I believe this to be a peremanent change is this.

For the last 5 years there has been 1 web site at the top of the search for Gift Baskets. It didn't matter about google updates, it didn't matter about anything else. Well, this is the first Google update that they are no longer number 1. I believe that Google has done some major reconstruction and no longer places backlinks as high-priority.

Wayne

ProductivePC, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  12. alephito

alephito Peon

Best Answers:
    The last Google update affected one of my sites that has never been in the Coop nor received Coop backlinks. On the other hand, sites with the Coop retained their SERP. Even a page with all its backlinks from the Coop.

I don't think the Coop is the one to blame.

alephito, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  13. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    No blaming here, but I was curious if coop can be the possibility. My site is fully indexed but I lost 70% of my great rankings. I was in Eastern Europe for 20 days and wasn't following much - on the 10/15 everything was fine, but next time I checked (on 10/18) - almost all keyphrases I was watching with DP keyword tool disappeared... about 30% of keyphrases are ranking again, but droped at least 50 relults below. I just got back to US today and one of my friends told me about Jagger and that it has something to do with links - I haven't confirmed the reasons/criterias. I'm not whining, not blaming coop and still using it as advertisement tool, but I'm trying to figure out the apdating points/criterias and the reasons of my Google drop.

gemini, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  14. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you being in Eastern Europe might have caused your rankings to drop. :)

aeiouy, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  15. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    you might be right, I'm not sure, - that's why I'm back and reading DP ;)

gemini, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  16. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    I looked into this a little further. The last Google Update added the sandbox to links now as well. They are only counting links that have been there awhile.

Wayne

ProductivePC, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  17. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I only have good things to say about the coop network - it's free and it's helped me increase the number of links considerably, and in return helped ranking in Yahoo and MSN.

I am thinking that it's more to do with the recent updates in Google, or link partners dumping your links. I would suggest looking at where you were ranking and see what they are doing that you maybe aren't and visa versa.

Don't make any changes, until all of the updates have taken place.

Darren

DarrenC, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  18. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely! I'm sticking till the update is final - otherwise I won't know which actions affected what :) My Yahoo and MSN rankings are better every day - it is too pity Google dominating search.

gemini, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  19. wickermanxxx

wickermanxxx Peon

Best Answers:
    I can only say that I started a site during Jagger and, with the help of coop ALONE it is already on page 6 of a highly fought over search!

SEO companies had quoted 12 months! I suppose it is called Jagger because it is giving these SEO guys thick lips ;-)

I built my site, primarily sticking to the guidelines of Google - rigidly. With plenty of quality unique content and I think that it is this that has thrown the site nearly to the top within 2 weeks of it being created. Another site has taken me 18 months of hard slog to get only 10 places above the new site on the same search and this site uses every SEO trick in the book but primarily reciprocal links.

So take a look at your sites - that's what Google does! Links are only part of the algorithm - I think the rest is fairy dust but I am only guessing here ;-)

wickermanxxx, Nov 8, 2005 IP
  20. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    mnemtsas, Nov 8, 2005 IP