1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please post your information on DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jack_sparrow, Jul 4, 2007.

Please post any authentic information - if you have on DMOZ listings - meaning when will they start to accept new sites.

Thanks,

Jack.

jack_sparrow, Jul 4, 2007 IP
  2. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=3643449&postcount=44

Webmasters that keep up with the times don't care about getting or not getting a DMOZ listing, and haven't cared for several years. It pretty much makes no difference.

They accept sites on occasion, but fewer and fewer since editor numbers have dropped by 25% in the past 3 years, and numbers continue to drop. That reflects the fact that DMOZ is losing visibility and standing in the SERPs, and is not seen by surfers much anymore, and that Wikipedia is a much more exciting, useful, high-profile and welcoming project. Volunteers don't want to waste their time on activities that serve little purpose and aren't very intellectually stimulating. Volunteers prefer the Wiki.

So... who cares what sites they accept and when? Google has pulled the plug on DMOZ two years ago, and AOL might put an end to the failed and obsolete experiment tomorrow.

helleborine, Jul 4, 2007 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as I know they are accepting submissions now. When they will get reviewed is the same as it has always been - anytime between the next 5minutes and the next 5 years. Editors don't particularly care how long it takes, webmasters shouldn't particularly care if they are doing their SEO job properly.

brizzie, Jul 4, 2007 IP
  4. quick5pnt0

quick5pnt0 Peon

Best Answers:
    That is greatly due to DMOZ not accepting new editors. I've tried becoming an editor for a very specific category multiple times without success. Each time I was told to try editing for an even smaller category because they thought what I wanted to edit was too broad of a subject (a specific model car :eek:).

Dmoz does still accept new site submissions but it's not as easy to get in as it once was. I spent literally two years trying to get in when I finally got lucky and spoke to an editor there who got me in.

Unfortunately it looks like Dmoz is losing ground very quickly, as are most other directories of the same structure.

quick5pnt0, Jul 4, 2007 IP
  5. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They are a dead site. People no longer spend time trying to get in. It is better to spend your time building solid original content and build quality back links. They are taking way too long to add sites, it is no longer worth it.

allout, Jul 4, 2007 IP
  6. sslshopper

sslshopper Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, this has been my experience as well. I've submitted my site a couple of times over a 3-4 year period with no results. Oh well. Down with DMOZ. Long live Wikipedia!!

sslshopper, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  7. WunschShrek

WunschShrek Peon

Best Answers:
    They are still approving sites, my latest approval was junly 2nd.

Getting in now-a-days depends on your website's category.

WunschShrek, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most people who have read the ODP guidelines or have been around the forums that discuss the place read posts like yours and only see what I've quoted. The rule of thumb is "Submit once and forget about it" Though many will say that you can (and should?) try one more time in 6 months to a year.

Personally I think you should submit every Tuesday. Tuesdays are Meta holidays and is the time when they all congregate in the inner forums to hold their meetings. You'll find that this is the day where normal editors can venture out and be themselves a little more then normal. You'll also find that this entire paragraph was complete and total nonsense and that you should really just re-read the first part of my post.

Though, I submitted my site on a Tuesday and got accepted ;)
    Q

Qryztufre, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  9. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    paidhosting, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  10. bloggingseo

bloggingseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I still do think that dmoz has some older listings that are good, but for the most part it isn't updated enough and it is well known that some of the editors are corrupt i.e. they put their own sites and friends sites and don't really put others in. Not saying all editors, just some. I would not worry about a dmoz listing.

bloggingseo, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  11. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    I had a PR6 link to DMOZ on one of my sites for about 2 years, considering they wouldnt return the favour and stick me in a lowly PR2 category they lost it.

Other sites in the category include a 404, one with every image a red X and another Google lists as Malware/Bad site.

One year and 287 pages of fully unique content later and im not good enough. They are obviously not a quality hand edited resource.

sweetfunny, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  12. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Linking to DMOZ won't help you any. Editors are adamant about that.

So DMOZ link approvers haven't got to checking out your category. They may never. Luckily, it doesn't matter one bit.

We are very fortunate that Google has the werewithal to recognize that DMOZ is one of the slowest and smelliest loops in the bowels of the internet, and not count the links from its clones, downgrade DMOZ pages in its SERPs, and neglect to update its version of DMOZ for two years and counting.

helleborine, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  13. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    I know linking to them wont help and it wasnt put there for that reason. It wasnt removed because i still havnt made any of a dozen sites in either.

It WAS removed because the quality of the directory has gone to the pack and i have no desire to link to such a poor resource.

So many sites i have no affiliation with what so ever dont get included, and they clearly outclass every site in their chosen category its really laughable.

sweetfunny, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  14. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They are taking on new editors, new sites and have appointed new staff.

Anonymously, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  15. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well they reason for those sites being there are because people don't report them, maybe you should report them. Thanks :).

Brennan, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  16. helleborine

Best Answers:
    There are literally tens of thousands of hijacked/parked domains, some of them adult hijacks, 404's, "out of business" and redirects. That's probably why Google had to drop DMOZ at last.

Nobody reports these links because nobody uses DMOZ, except webmasters deluded into thinking it's going to propel them to position #1 for a single word keyword.

Cleaning up DMOZ bad links is not the responsibility of the public at large, especially since the public at large does not care about it, or use it, and DMOZ serves no other purpose but that of a large, decaying, paranoid and ever-increasingly out-of-date link farm.

helleborine, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  17. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Sorry but given i've applied to edit approximately 5 times since 2001 and been declined every time, it hardly encourages me to go out of my way to assist the project.

sweetfunny, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  18. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I applied once and got approved within 24 hours :)

I suggest you try go for a lower category, I went for a category with less than 8 sites and it was a small, non-popular category and within a few months I'll be able to request to edit some more bigger categories :)

Brennan, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  19. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Hahhaha. They already rejected you for that second category you already applied for, as I predicted?

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=3784230&postcount=5

I am PSYCHIC.

Let me make another prediction, since my crystal ball is smokin'hot. Your presence here, and your volunteering as an embassador of the ODP in the DP troll pit, after just a few hours from being freshly accepted, means you'll probably be locked out before you get a "chance" to apply for more.

helleborine, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  20. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes as I was unaware we need make around 20 or more edits or listings.

Brennan, Jul 17, 2007 IP