1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google really ban sites with cross linking?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by hurricane_sh, Sep 30, 2004.

For example: I host 10 sites on one server, link them with each other. I think it's unreasonable if Google ban these sites just because of it. I will do this anyway even I'm not aware of Google.
    How do you think? What's your experience?

hurricane_sh, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I don't believe a ban would happen in this case (at least there are a lot of sites in the serps that employ this) but you would instead be recieving much less weight for those links. Some would argue so little it is not worth the time. Instead you can use them to your advantage setting up a "triangle" linking with other webmasters.

yfs1, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I shouldn't think that you would be banned (unless the sites in question also shared content ;))

But I personally (This isn't in any way proven) think that the linking strength between the sites would be devalued.

I'm sure you will be fine...

SEbasic, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  4. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    As already said by other members, I don’t think your sites will be “banned”, and those links could even give some improvement to your PR, but according to my experience, the sites will be “filtered out” from SERPs resulting from similar search terms. In other words, if the sites you interlink are about similar subjects, only one of them will receive good SERPs for relevant search terms (of course if you also use other good SEO, and don’t get banned for other reasons). ;)

And as SEbasic pointed out, a larger problem might raise if you not only interlink your sites but if you also share content between those sites. Even using similar headings or footers might be seen a duplicate content, and raise a spam flag.

Tapanti, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I think that may happen if they have next to identical content, but if they are totally different I don't think so

although most seo people tend to think multiple links from the same site, or same ip are worthless in terms of rankings

ferret77, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed.

It would be fine for the sites to be of a similiar subject matter, but so long as the content on each site is individual in its own right, you would be fine.

Do a little research on the "Hilltop Update". This was an algorithm that some feel may or may not be in place at the moment (I feel it is, but only to some degree - it hasn't been fully initiated as yet).

There are lots of articles on the subject that would give you a much better idea of what impact having multiple sites on the same ip C class will have...

Here's an article that I pointed out in a similiar thread...
    http://www.seorank.com/analysis-of-hilltop-algorithm.htm

SEbasic, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google probably will not ban you for crosslinking 10 sites. penalise the links maybe, but ban no way. Yahoo on the other hand will dump all 10 if it decides you are link farming.. oops I mean cross linking. :D

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 30, 2004 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  8. aenigma

aenigma Peon

Best Answers:
    Hope this is not true, as I have some site that link to me and me link to them, not because we exchange link but because we spoke on some argument that are similar. And site like mine exist on the net. It's seems impossible to me that a bot would ban site with this kind of situation.

aenigma, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    No, that is just a simple link exchange (At least in an SE's eyes). The point being made is that sites hosted on the same C class IP range, also doing what you described, may well result in a penalisation/ban.

SEbasic, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I also think that --excessive-- crosslinking is bad as well. If you have 100 sites all interlinking between each other, I think google will raise an eyebrow at that, then drop a hammer on each of those sites. I think this is the flaw in the "automated link exchange" programs out there.

lorien1973, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  11. informixx

informixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    haven't experienced this thing yet but I think Google will not penalize those sites.

informixx, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  12. syuxx

syuxx Peon

Best Answers:
    you wouldnt get penalized.
    event mattcuts have talk about this before for the site with same IP linking each other.
    not everyone have money to buy VPS. haha

syuxx, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  13. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    it won't help you, lets put it that way. Its kind of a mini link network, and google HATES sites that try to 'game' the index with reciprocal linking, and treat it even more seriously if they detect that you are trying to hide it be using 3 way, 4 way 5 way linking etc.

contentboss, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  14. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    Who knows the right answer to that question? There's sites that get crosslinked heavily (50+ sites) and never had an issue, but some other sites get penalized for (3 sites) crosslinking... so who really knows?

scubita, Jan 26, 2009 IP
  15. informixx

informixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    i really don't know if that will happen. i think it's legal. some are just penalized because of over linking but the cross-linking itself is allowed perhaps.

informixx, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  16. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    cross linking is allowed, AS LONG AS IT ISN'T DONE WITH THE DELIBERATE PURPOSE OF GAMING THE INDEX.

Google, of course, always 'shoot first, ask questions later'.

So if you want to take the risk, go right ahead. if you DO decide to do it, ferchrissakes don't just put up a page called 'links.html ' and stuff it with your recips.

contentboss, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  17. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It’s possible; the safe way is to use the no-follow tag.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jan 27, 2009 IP